Returning iPhone to Apple and not o2!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DPB17, Jul 29, 2008.

1. DPB17 macrumors 6502

Hi.First time poster here so forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place. Anyway I recently noticed I had light leaking out the left side of the phone. Well of course I went to my o2 store and the manager told me to go cry to Apple. So I did, and to my horror they were extremely helpful. After talking to a guy in Scotland for about 15 mins and explaining my predicament he said there would be a courier out to collect it in the next 1-2 days and they would send A BRAND NEW IPHONE out and should have it in 10 days at the max!!!!Just wondering if this is too good to be true and if so should I expect the dreaded white generic refurbished iPhone box....

Any comments welcome thanks guys.

Faulty iPhone 3G 16GB Black

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It depends on the return policies of Apple in the UK. In the US if you return within 14 days, they will often trade it for a new one. There may similar rules in the UK. It could be a new one in a regular box, in which case, you may have to return all of your accessories and box with the old one, or it could be a new iPhone in a white box. Check the serial number of the new one. If it starts with a 5, then it is a refurb, otherwise it is new.

TEG

3. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Don't know, DPB17, but I wouldn't worry too much if they do send you one seemingly in a "refurb" box. The likelihood of you getting a refurb at the moment is, I would guess, close to nil. I know you don't want a refurb, given you've just bought a new device, but Apple refurbs are top-notch.

If it were me, I would prefer my iPhone to have come in a brown box rather than have light spilling out around the case. ;)

4. glanv macrumors regular

Hi

If it helps, which it might not, I exchanged my first phone on Sunday (see thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=531939). My new phone (which is also faulty and being exchanged Thursday) came in a little brown box. However, I was in an Apple Store. You may well get the whole shabang as you are doing it through Applecare.

Cheers!

5. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah good point. So what do I need to do to prep my iPhone for the repair process. I know you take the sim out but do I put the phone in it's original packaging or do I have to delete all my content.

6. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I hope I get the same treatment but doubt it as I'm in Ireland and there's no Apple stores here. Will be interesting to find out

7. steve77uk macrumors regular

I got mine from CPW on the Friday afternoon.. I found a small plastic blister/bubble on the back. After phoning CPW (which they were very helpful on the phone they said to bring it in and they will give me a refund, but may not be able to swap it over). As there was an Apple Store next door to them, I went there instead as phoned them and they said to bring it in and they will swap it.

I sure did, and sure did they swap it. Well impressed...

8. allymac macrumors member

My brother's 2G died on him (no power, wouldn't switch on) and CPW told him to ring Apple direct. They couriered a new one to him in a couple of days - brand new, new retail packaging IIRC. Pretty good experience in all.

9. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

What happened to the old one?Did he return it via the courier or the shop?

10. sam3020 macrumors 6502

sam3020

Hey,

I have had two faulty iphones. One with 2 dead pixels and the other with the same fault that you are talking about with the light down the left hand side. I took it to an o2 store in peterborough as my nearest store had no stock. He was saying they cannot replace it because of that. So i said to him it also freezes up all the time and he said that is fine we will replace it lol.

You should of tried that one. New one seems to be fine though. I would be pissed off if i had to wait 10 days for a new phone

11. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I would much rather wait 10 days than have to stare at that really annoying light! I swear all i can see is that light when I turn it on. Anyway just filed a complaint with o2 for the crappy service from the store.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You were horrified at the level of service you got from Apple? Totally not surprising; Apple has a great CS record, and gave me 4 replacement phones for a multitude of probs with my 2G(s).

13. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I'm a first time Apple customer and I am not too trusting of the after care quality of big companies(bad experience with a few of them);)

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That line was just confusing...

15. allymac macrumors member

Courier collected it. He was without a phone for a day or two though - but he had an old phone kicking around he could use.

16. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

So do you just hand the phone over to the courier or do I put it in the original box while he waits at the door? What's the procedure?

17. allymac macrumors member

You need to wrap it up - if you don't have the original packaging box it up securely in whatever you've got. The courier should have all the labels etc.