Returning iPhone with little dents on the side question.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion11, Jul 20, 2009.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I'm having trouble with my iphone. It's dropping a lot of calls and the batt life sucks. I've tried a restore and everything else I could possibly try.

Anyhow, Apple said they will send me out a new phone and I'll just return the old one after I receive it.

My question is, I've dropped my 3gs and it has two minor dents on the right side. Do you think they'll consider that physical damage and charge my credit card the full $700 for it?

I mean they're not that bad at all, but still noticeable.

The back of the phone and the screen still look good though.

What's your thoughts??

Thanks!

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

My thoughts:
    You should have asked this question before you went ahead and had the new one shipped. Also, you should have posted pictures.

You should probably still post pictures.

Post pictures.

Pictures.

Post dems.

3. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I'll try to find another camera here at work and post them.

but honestly, I have OCD over my phone and the condition and I can tell you that they're not that bad at all. I just hope the guy who originally opens the box isn't in a bad mood and puts it in the physical damage bin! lol

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Well yeah, that would be the worst case senario, but if you've dropped it, like you said you have, and you get "that guy," you have no leg to stand on. Lets hope that doesnt happen though.

5. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Honestly, I doubt they'll care.

I returned an iPhone once for a new one, all I sent back was the physical phone itself, no earphones, or cables or anything.

The Applecare gentlemen I was dealing with just emailed me once he saw my iPhone had been returned and the case was closed.

NOTE: The return address was in Toronto, Canada, the Applecare employee was somewhere in the US.

6. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Hey Buddy...

I'm the Newman dude, remember? haha

Anyways, I did this once before with my 3g and I never received an email from them, saying everything is fine we received your phone.

How did you get them to email you to let you know everything was fine?

and also, did you have to give them your credit card number before they sent you the new one and you sent back the old one?

THanks.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Tough call on physical damage. Though my first 3G was returned for some defects; my Bunny Wabbit had chewed the USB cable and the damage was noticeable to myself and the genius and the genius gave me that look and I said "dang wabbit, took one bite and I put her back in her cage!" We both laughed and I walked out with my NIB 3G 16GB White w/accessories.:p:p:p

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Got it: Make cartoon references to "Geniuses." Apparently that cools their icy hearts. Or warms their cool hearts. Or cools their warm hearts with an icy reference.

9. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Haha... I remember.

What happened was I spoke with an Applecare guy, who opened a case, he sent me a pdf file which I had to sign and fax back. Then I gave them my credit card, they sent out the new one, when I got the new one, I sent out the old one.

I should clarify, he didn't email me to close the case, but rather just to check the new phone was fine and he did let me know they received the old one.

I've done other exchanges where I haven't received any form of notification the old item was received.

10. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Wow, another OCD iPhone user (obsessor).

Maybe you and Spaz should start a self help group to deal with your issues about wanting a "perfect" iPhone. :rolleyes:

11. glap1922 macrumors regular

Warms their icy hearts with a cool island song?

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They could deem the issues your fault due to accidental damage.
    People "OCD" about their phones don't generally drop their phones though I'd imagine. On a side note, when did it become cool to be OCD?

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Clearly, he has a ways to go before meeting the high standards set by TheSpaz.

needpics.gif

14. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I know, god I'm bad....but not Spaz bad! Geez!!

15. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Well, it's definitely not cool, that's for sure. I can understand babying and caring about gadgets. I think that it comes from spending a lot of $$$ on them.

When I was 16 I spent $200 on a top of the line Sony Walkman (yes, I'm old). I loved that thing.

However, I didn't have a heart attack if it got a little bit beat up.

Now I spend far more money on my gadgets and am less and less concerned if something happens to them, because I can easily buy another one.

16. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

+1, LMAO

You know it's going to be a good week when there's a South Park reference in at least one post on the MR Forums!:D

17. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Just make sure that the water / liquid sensors are not tripped. If either of them are tripped then they may expect you to pay the $199 Out of Warranty Service (OWS) fee for the replacement iPhone and they will charge your credit card. http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

Water / liquid sensor locations iPhone 3G, iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nan and Ipod classic: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302

Dave