Returning macbook pro, how to remove personal data

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by purplekush604, Nov 12, 2013.

1. purplekush604 macrumors member

Hey guys
    like the title says returning my macbook pro. How do I properly remove all my personal data? Also I installed ms office, how do I deauthorize the computer?
    thanks

2. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Oooh me me lol. I just create another admin account, log in using new admin, then delete any other user name to include the home folder. I don't bother doing the secured erase because this will take loooooooonnnnnnnn. Hope this helps.

3. Shmanky, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

Shmanky macrumors regular

You can boot from a USB drive and use Disk Utility to perform a zero-fill of the hard drive which will erase everything including the operating system. You can turn on FileVault which should encrypt your entire hard drive. But really, ducatiti's suggestion may be sufficient.

And I agree with ducatiti that performing a "secure erase" of the user account will take too long. Mine took over 6 hours and I just quit it without finishing. Seems like it was performing a 3-pass or 7-pass erase. A 1-pass should be quick.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I would go into disk utility on the restore partition and zero the hard drive. Then, factory reinstall the OS.

5. purplekush604 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. What about ms office? How do I deauthorize the computer.?

6. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

If you have Office 365 you just go to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ login and deauthorize it. If it's any box edition - you don't have to. Just remove it from Mac.

7. purplekush604 thread starter macrumors member

I have the student edition where I downloaded it. I believe it only allows me to put it on 3 computers

8. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

Same here, I have Office 365 for students - it's for 2 computers. Just go to the website I have mentioned and login. You will be able then to deactive any copy/computer you want.