Returning MacBook Pro to Factory State [+help backing up Mail]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nigebox, Aug 14, 2008.

1. nigebox macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

It’s been five months since I got my MacBook Pro (first Mac) and I’m really pleased with it. However, those five months of trial and error have left it quite messy. The worse thing to happen to it is that I now have a number of user accounts that I cannot login to, as they cause the Mac to freeze.

So, I’ve decided to go for the nuclear option and start afresh! What I want to know is:

1. Is there anything obvious I should do before popping the install disc in?
    2. What is the easiest way to back-up my e-mail (I’m using Mail)?
    3. I’ve already copied my Home folder across to an external hard-drive... are there any other folders that it would be a very good idea to back-up?
    Also, in terms of setting things up anew, I remember reading a suggestion to keep your personal account and admin account separate – is there any point?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nigel:apple:

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You can backup your mailboxes easily - just follow this article

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42938

Is there any reason why you cannot simply delete all those user accounts and just leave the one admin account which is presumably what you are using anyway....?

3. nigebox thread starter macrumors newbie

That's perfect (for backing up mail) thanks. :)

I think I'll give deleting the accounts a go, and then maybe the 'Archive and Install' option from the recovery disc, and see how that leaves things.