returning MacBook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bsmith1, Oct 22, 2008.

1. bsmith1 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

after 5 days of real world use I have decided I am going to return my new MBP. The glass/gloss screen doesn't work for me.

Before returning it, what should I do to make sure none of my personal information on it could be read. Is a format an reinstall of leopard good enough?

Thanks.

2. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I dont like it either

i tried it in person for the first time today and really did not take to it for some reason

Just something about it i dont like
    I might order the older model

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They'll of course do a full wipe of the hard drive as part of the refurbishment process, but yes, an "Erase and Install" of Leopard will be sufficient. Feel free to do a 7-pass erase if you really want to make sure your stuff is gone, but it's not really necessary.

4. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

We have the glossy "early 2008" MacBook Pro with glossy screen and the "late 2008" MacBook Pro with "glassy" screen in our test lab. There's definitely more noticeable reflection in the latter.

But the thing that gives me pause is the keyboard on the "late 2008." It's "clackity" -- especially the space bar -- and shows up finger smudges more than the "early 2008." And the trackpad is "snaps" when you click it as a button.

5. bsmith1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would agree on the snapping with the trackpad....even worse when using windows in bootcamp. Never noticed the spacebar till you mentioned it. I suggest others try it...press spacebar multiple times...much different then hitting other keys.

But I could live with that...and the single firewire port....and having to pay for a new dvi out cable, or whatever it is called now. It is the reflecto screen that is the deal breaker. It is going to cost me $250 to return this thing, not blaming anyone, I knew that going in. Just thought Apple would be better. I took a chance, will not do so again.

6. iViking macrumors 6502

x3 in agreement with the snapping of the trackpad "button".

And I also agree about the "clickety" space bar, as you put it!