Returning MBP 13" for 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monopolyguy, Sep 24, 2011.

1. monopolyguy macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I just decided I want to return my 13" and go for the 15" cause of the better specs.
    Basically my question was I have swapped the HDD for an SSD in the 13" then swapped them back obviously before returning ... will it effect me being able to return the fact I did this or would they be none the wiser?
    There is a tiny little surface scratch next to one screw which you only see if you get super close I wouldn't think that would be a problem it's so small?
    Thanks

2. Minicube macrumors regular

Should be fine, they will be getting more money out of you for the 15".

3. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Hard drive replacement does not void the warranty and if you are putting back the original hard drive with no damage to the computer, then you should be fine.

4. monopolyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies :)
    Yeah as I say there's an almost un noticeable mark where one of the screws was removed.
    But like you say they're getting a bunch more money for the 15".
    But yeah I just can't get away with this size screen when using it for music production so I'm pretty excited to upgrade to the 15".

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I wouldn't mention the hard drive swapping you've done. Some geniuses are cool but there are a few that are real sticklers for the rules. They could deny your refund and exchanged based on that if they wanted to. Otherwise, I think you'll be fine. I did that a few months ago and it was a piece of cake.

6. monopolyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah man I won't mention a single word haha I've already spoke about the return so it's cool.

7. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

You didn't mention where you returning it to. I returned a 13 for a 15 to BB shortly after purchase. All they did was turn it on and back off, then looked at the outside for damages, however they never flipped it over. Unless its dented or something, I don't see a problem. They also checked the box to make sure everything that I needed to return was in box.... I would not mention that you swapped out the drives, they really don't need to know this. Good luck with the 15, you'll love it.

8. monopolyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry forgot it's going straight back to the apple store they will send someone to collect it.
    And yeah I will be super broke for a while after getting the 15" but I have been so on the edge to buy it I know if I didn't that I would be kicking myself about it for ages.

9. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

You will be fine, just put it back.
    By the way, I'd h highly recommend you upgrade it to High-res on the 15" :D

Good luck :)

10. monopolyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Loads of people told me that but if I'm honest I've been using this one which isn't high res and it's completely fine I also had a go on the 15" without high res and it was also totally fine.
    I do think it's better but to be honest I'm already REALLY stretching my limit for the 15" and although it's not a ton more the screen is just a little too much for me.

11. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

i went from a 13" to 15" for logic, you'll love it

12. monopolyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything is sorted after a little bit (a lot) of confusion.
    Someone will pick up the 13" the same day the 15" is dropped off.
    I assume it will be ok for me to just remove my files from the computer without doing a fresh install? Or would you recommend I get it back to factory settings before returning it?

13. Kafka macrumors 6502

I would fresh install... Don't forget to unlink it from Dropbox if you're using it.

14. monopolyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man I'll get that done tomorrow night before they pick up!
    I don't use dropbox anyway so that's no problem man :)

15. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

yea bro definitely do a clean install, but do a time machine backup first so you have a carbon copy of your computer you can pull files from to put on the new one

16. monopolyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah man fortunately I had done a clone already to my SSD and I actually had another hard drive with all my stuff backed up for when I got this 13" so I'm pretty sorted for all that kind of stuff haha :)
    Pretty much good to go!!!

17. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Sounds like you got all your ducks in a row!

I would reformat just for peace of mind.

18. monopolyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Right I went into Utility and did a fresh install of Lion but I didn't realise it would keep everything including my account on the computer.
    Excuse my stupidity but can someone explain how to do an actual restore to factory so everything is removed?
    Thanks

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did you make a USB recovery disk for Lion?

if so plug in the usb drive restart your computer hold down the option key. You will now be given an option to boot from the USB drive

20. monopolyguy thread starter macrumors newbie

It's ok I found another thread after a little searching and basically I have gone into utility then disc utility wiped the hard drive and I'm now reinstalling Lion.
    It's just so that it's a fresh install when it gets back to Apple.
    For anyone who cares my 15" arrived today and I am blown away by how much of a difference just 2" makes it's going to be so much easier for me to work on and also the speakers are a great improvement on the 13" ones.

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good stuff