Returning MBP 13 tb for 15. Backup/Restore?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by graffixnyc, Dec 10, 2016.

1. graffixnyc macrumors regular

graffixnyc

I'm going to be returning my macbook pro 13 this week to get the 15. Since I'm a new mac user (yes, I'm a mac noob) what is the best way to back up everything on my 13 (documents, apps, settings, configuration etc) and restore it on my 15? This can be done using Time Machine correct? or should I just image the drive and then restore it to the 15(both have the same size ssd)? Does TM restore all applications as well? And when it restores will it also restore my SSH key, certs I have stored in keychain and such? I also run Apache locally for debugging, Will all the configuration and settings also be restored to the new machine? Most of the applications I use are free development tools(xcode, android studio, mysql workbench, mongo, VS code etc..) and the only application I have to worry about licensing is MS office, but I can just deactivate the one tied to the 13 and activate it on the 15 no problem. I really just don't want to go through installing and configuring everything again if I can help it. Thanks in advance.

2. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

I back mine up using TM and a 1 gig Seagate HD that is formatted for MAc's. Got it at BB

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... Time Machine will capture everything you listed. When you setup the new machine there is a step after the initial startup where it asks if you want to import data. Just say yes and point to the Time Machine disk as the source and everything will come in.

The only issue you will have is the MS apps will require reactivation since they will detect you are on new hardware.

4. graffixnyc thread starter macrumors regular

graffixnyc

Thank you sir!

5. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

With the new macOS this process it's really fast now