Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lildaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
So I bought a MBP at the start of March, and after over a month with it I kind of regret getting it, as I don't need the portability and would much rather have an iMac + iPad combination.

I'm from the UK, so I was wondering if anybody knew if it is possible to return the laptop after the 14 day period. I have heard some people say you can if you pay a 10% restocking fee or something which I don't mind but others have said different. Also, it's not just that I wish I got something else, the MBP (13 inch base model) gets very hot and the fan can be extremely loud/unbearable, especially when watching videos/tv or having more than 3 programmes on, sometimes I have to completely shut it down to stop the noise. Sometimes it's not as loud though. It would be hard to prove this in the Apple store and I would feel like an idiot if it didn't happen, but would Apple allow me to return it for that?

I so badly want an iMac and iPad :( Although the fan problem was bothering me before anyway.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
In these situations, it never hurts to go back to the store and ask.

However, I wouldn't rely on the "fans are loud" issue to demand a return. If you are watching a lot of video, you could be taxing the computer and it needs to cool down, hence the fans.

My advice would be to go in, explain that you purchased it back in March, but that you're thinking an iMac and an iPad would be a better fit. You might get told that you're outside of the return window, but you might luck out and have someone who's willing to work with you, especially if it's your intent to walk out with other equipment.

If that doesn't work, you'll get a decent resale price on a two month old MBP. Cut your losses and get an iMac and iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.