Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
So long story short, Apple is sending me a unibody Macbook Pro due to many problems... that is, after I mail them my Penryn one. I'm not exactly sure what to do though. Do I have to pack in all the power adapters and return it in the original packaging or can I just find a random box and bubble wrap it and send it off?

Also, Apple sent me an email with some UPS instructions which aren't clear at all. They tell me to print out this sheet of paper which tells me to fold at a line. But half the paper is blank so I don't know what folding it will do. Also, that piece of paper is full of instructions and it doesn't tell me to attach it to the box or anything. I feel so stupid. Who's had experience with this process before?

xobleedinglovee

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
As a UPS Store employee, I know at least most UPS Stores do handle ipod, iphone, and ipad returns. However, I've never heard of one doing a computer. I'd call again and get clearer instructions. Best of Luck!

lordofuo

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Longview, Texas
When I had to get my MBP replaced, I chose a mail-in replacement.

They mailed me via FedEx a return kit, which is a cardboard box with internal padding, wrap, tape strips, and instructions for packaging.

I then scheduled a pickup. FedEx came by my house and retrieved the package. Make sure to get your tracking number off of the return tag, if this is how they will want your MBP returned. (Which I am assuming it is.)

Hope that helps! If this is how they are working things for you, you should receive a box from FedEx very soon.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
When I had to get my MBP replaced, I chose a mail-in replacement.

They mailed me via FedEx a return kit, which is a cardboard box with internal padding, wrap, tape strips, and instructions for packaging.

I then scheduled a pickup. FedEx came by my house and retrieved the package. Make sure to get your tracking number off of the return tag, if this is how they will want your MBP returned. (Which I am assuming it is.)

Hope that helps! If this is how they are working things for you, you should receive a box from FedEx very soon.

A similar box was sent to me when I had my iPod touch replaced, but this time they said they'll just send me a shipping label and that I'd have to provide my own box which I find very weird.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
All you'll need to send back is the computer. You can pack it in whatever you want; the retail box, chargers, etc are not required.

All of my replacements have gone through FedEx, so I can't really help on the other matter as I've never seen the return labels used by UPS.

bli625

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2009
A similar box was sent to me when I had my iPod touch replaced, but this time they said they'll just send me a shipping label and that I'd have to provide my own box which I find very weird.

That's strange. They've sent a label with a return box to me everytime I've needed something repaired. Maybe try calling again to clarify?

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
That's strange. They've sent a label with a return box to me everytime I've needed something repaired. Maybe try calling again to clarify?

Repairs and replacements are different. For replacements generally you do need to provide your own box. You don't need to use the retail box if you don't have it. Also, only the laptop is required to be sent back. The accessories, etc. are not needed, but if you want, you can send them in with your laptop. The easiest way to send them back is to take it to a UPS store or Fedex location and have them pack and ship it for you. Since Apple provides a prepaid label you can just use this to ship the item back to them.

bli625

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2009
Repairs and replacements are different. For replacements generally you do need to provide your own box. You don't need to use the retail box if you don't have it. Also, only the laptop is required to be sent back. The accessories, etc. are not needed, but if you want, you can send them in with your laptop. The easiest way to send them back is to take it to a UPS store or Fedex location and have them pack and ship it for you. Since Apple provides a prepaid label you can just use this to ship the item back to them.

Ah. I failed to notice the OP was talking about a replacement. My bad.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada

Thanks. Thankfully I have UPS stores nearby. I'll tell them to pack it for me since I have no idea how much material, how big a box, etc, I need to use. Hopefully the cost isn't too much. How much should I expect to pay for packing materials?

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Call Apple Care once again and request that they send you a box. Once the box arrives, you can call FedEx for a pickup or drop it off at a FedEx manned station or Kinko/FedEx location. Apple will ship your replacement when they scan your package.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks. Thankfully I have UPS stores nearby. I'll tell them to pack it for me since I have no idea how much material, how big a box, etc, I need to use. Hopefully the cost isn't too much. How much should I expect to pay for packing materials?

They have never really charged me for this when I returned my computer. I don't know if they billed Apple (since I was using their shipping label). Even if they charge you. I wouldn't expect it to be more than 10-15$ at most.

EDIT:

If you don't want to pay for the packaging, UPS has a lot of free packaging material that they give away when using their shipping services. Examples include the bubble wrapping and the standard shipping boxes (pictures below, courtesy of Google Images):

http://aphnetworks.com/review/spire_edge/001.JPG
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e120/sdonato1/ups.jpg

You can ask them for these and pack your mbp in the bubble wrap packaging, and then place it in one of the standard shipping boxes. Pad the box with more the bubble wrap packaging. This is one way to do it for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.