Returning Momentus XT, getting X25-M

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 27, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I had an X25-M in my hands yesterday but RMA'd it to newegg and got the Momentus XT (see my thread). Yes, performance is very good but it only remembers your most used apps. I want consistent speed across the board no matter which app it is. Also, the main reason I am returning is I did not think the vibration was too much until I threw my 5400 Hitachi stock drive back into the machine.

It's night and day difference. So I'm going to Optibay+X25-M it.

Sucks I have to deal with returns and bite the 15% restocking fee on the Momentus XT (and about $12 for cancelling the order for the optibay alternative+ SATA SuperDrive enclosure) in addition to returning the item, but now I know.

Patiently waiting...

Also, I felt the platter stopped spinning and spinned up again a few times, not sure if that's because stuff is loading off the SSD or premature signs of drive failure.

2. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Ah, thank you for that. I just bought an X25-M a few days before the existence of the Momentus XT became known to the world and was a bit worried about buyer's remorse, especially since I decided to offload my iTunes library to an external disk. I, too, hate noticeable vibration. Wish I had the guts to follow through with the OptiBay though. :eek:

I think the platter spin-up and spin-down is just the OS's power saving mechanisms taking place.

3. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I found the level of vibration from the 7200 Seagate drives intolerable in my MBP. I ended up with the X-25M G2 as well, couldn't be happier. I didn't go the Optibay route, as the completely-silent machine is my preference. I use an external HD with FW800 for bulk storage now.

4. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I think I am still going to go with the XT. I need the space AND a dvdrom. The 500GB XT should be what I want, hopefully I am not wrong. (I have had many of the 2.5" 7200rpm seagates, and they haven't made me upset thus far)

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Right now the Hitachi 5400rpm 250gb stock drive is completely quiet, it's like there's no hard drive in there at all.

Can't wait to Optibay! Already sent off the Momentus XT.

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

My stock Hitachi 320gb 5400 drive is the quietest I have ever owned...I have NEVER heard or felt a single sound or vibration no matter what I am doing...
    It is truly astounding how quiet this thing runs...

7. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Hallelujah !

Btw, make sure you get the G2 of the X25-M.

8. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy