Returning my 24" aluminum iMac....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mantronix, May 21, 2008.

1. Mantronix macrumors regular

to get a new one. Here is my story.

I'm the angry owner of an 24" aluminum iMac which is barely 2 months old. Within the 1st month my iMac was taking on average 17 minutes to get to the desktop from a cold boot or from a restart. I called up Apple tech support and explained my problem. We done several diagnostic tests and it was concluded that my hard drive was bad. What the hell?! On a 1 month old computer? Ok so I took it to the Apple store where I purchased it from for repairs. They techs called me and explained that they will replace my hard drive with a new one. They also stated that they will try to transfer all my data from the bad hard drive to the new one. Well the process was unsuccessful so they suggested if I buy Disk Warrior ($100.00) I can probably save all my data. I thought to myself yeah right, just a way for me to spend money. I agreed and of course they were able to transfer the data on the new hard drive.

I bring iMac home happy as I can be. I start to experience random crashing and suddenly it is now taking 5 to 6 minutes to reboot. What the hell?!?! Again I am pissed!! So today my iMac crashed and it will not boot to the desktop. It just shuts down and I given up. So I called the Apple store demanding to speak to a manager and I explained my problem to him. So as of now I'm out of $100.00 bucks for a software that I bought and I didn't help me and I'm staring at a broken iMac mad as hell. He suggested that I come in and they will exchange my iMac for a new one. Hopefully this time I won't get a dud.

Ending this I have a question. I have an external hard drive connected to my iMac for time machine. If I connect the external hard drive to my new iMac will I be able to retrieve some files off the hard drive and add it to my new iMac?

2. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

of course... if you double click the time machine drive, you'll see a folder there, and then inside of that folder are sequential backups. When you open the folders, you'll see your applications folder, library, system, users, etc...

if you completed a full time machine backup, everything should be there. of course, you could also just import everything to your new iMac using the Migration Assistant :)

3. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

You might also want to argue to them that they misdiagnosed the original problem -- either that the problem wasn't the hard drive or that it was the hard drive and something else -- and that you want a refund of the $100 for Disk Warrior, which you only bought on their recommendation. Did you tell them you had a Time Machine backup?

4. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Kirbdog

Almost in the Same Boat

I recently received my refurbished 24" iMac 2.8. The first time I turned it on it would not boot up. It hung on the grey screen. I called tech support and jumped through all the hoops after 10 minutes we agreed that it was DOA. I was given the option of a refund or replacement. I asked for a replacement.
    Eventually it would boot after about 5 minutes but if I loaded a disc it would not recognize the drive so I could not try a disc repair or re-stall the OS.
    I was emailed return shipping labels, and the day after I shipped it back the DOA machine's replacement was sent out to me.

I hope you can use this example of customer service to get your iMac replaced as you are just as deserving of it as I was.

5. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

this is completely off topic but.... WTF APPLE WHY IS THERE SO MUCH PROBLEMS WITH YOUR NEW STUFFF AHHHHHHH... just thought i had to express that with everyone since all my older systems have never had problems except one with its harddrive that broke after a year i bought it which was maxtor :D

6. Draddy macrumors regular

it's an online troubleshooting forum, apple's selling over a million machines a quarter, 95% of those a most likely problem free.. you just only see the problem threads on here.

7. Mantronix thread starter macrumors regular

Well today I went to the Apple store and they replaced my iMac with a newer model and they also gave me a $105.00 gift card refund because my model sells for less. I also received my $100.00 for Disk warrior and overall I'm pleased with Apple's CS.

The store manager was very apologetic and I hope this model is much better than my last one.

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i guess so it's not like it was now a days and i'm a lucky guy who always gets the good machines and i guess since i got 2 refurbished but ive had many cosmetic flaws with my macbook

9. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Yup.

Just to provide a counterexample, I have 2 MacBook Pros, one a Core Duo from February 2006 (right when the MBP first came out), one a Penryn bought less than a month ago.

Both have been functionally perfect. And the new Penryn is much better cosmetically than the Core Duo -- the lid is not warped, the fit of the grey plastic trim is better, and it runs much, much cooler.

10. Draddy macrumors regular

ha, I had the hardest time reading your post without punctuation.... what a weird way to talk.
    it is good to hear a good story.

Glad to hear Apple was nice to you... I unfortunately don't have the same experience with apple CS. Wednesday I walked into the store with 2,000 in hand just to buy a computer,I didn't need assistance or help, but I for the life of me could not get a service rep to notice me or talk to me... (albeit they were incredibly understaffed, only 4 guys on the floor.)

and the guy near me, I overheard his conversation with an angry russian sales associate, where the old guy's iPhone had literally stopped responding to touch, and he was incredibly nice about it (more than i would have been, he also mentioned that he had spent over $25,000 on apple products buying everything from mac pros to the air) the sales guy said he wouldn't fix it until the old guy synced to his computer ( not explaining that it was to back up the information) the old guy didn't understand what syncing was, and after the sales guy saying "it's very easy just do it and then come back" .... the old guys very kind response was "if I make an appointment and bring in my laptop, will you help me since I don't understand what you mean?" the sales guy WORD FOR WORD response was .... .. .... wait for it.... .. .... "No!" .... I felt like jumping in front of this clueless english-as-a-second-language-russian-apple-saies-guy and helping the old man myself.... sheesh.

11. etorres macrumors member

WOW dude,
    You seem to have some horrible luck when it comes to Apple products. I have owned a previous gen (white) 24" iMac and it has never given me any problems whatsoever.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Why would the computer being one month old have anything to do with the hard drive failing?

Hard drives, if faulty will fail early because, well, they're faulty.

A hard drive that fails after a long period of time is just worn out.

Sorry you got a bad one, it happens, can't make everything perfectly unfortunately and it's great that you go the service that solved the problem.

At least they didn't take the machine and send it overseas for 6 to 8 weeks as is common amongst some other manufacturers.

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Ditto for my 20". And btw, I think the purpose of the forums is to make the white imac owners feel better about not upgrading. ;)

14. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

my previous white iMac was flawless, and i just upgraded to the new penryn alu iMac. i can assure you that the iMac's display isn't as good as it use to be. i am not a fan of the slight color cast and screen bleeding on my new machine.

15. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Hard drives are more likely to fail in the first few days than after a few years. 1 or 2% of drives will always die early in their lives. Bad luck :(