Returning my 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patrickdunn, Jun 23, 2009.

1. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Well, that was fun. Due to student loans and other financial obligations, my wife (mostly her idea) and I have decided it would be best if I return my beloved 32gb White 3G S. This sucks So I am going after work to AT&T to hand it over

Has anybody returned one yet? Do they charge the restocking fee on your next statement, or does it come out of the amount returned to your card?

I feel like an idiot returning one, when so many are waiting patiently for theirs.

Do I need to give them a reason, or can I say "I just can't afford it"?

Unless I can come up with $65,000 in a few hours to pay off my loans, its going back. :(

For those who were wondering, we did think about this before, but my wife didn't listen when I told her it was $30 a month.

One day we will be back together, one day.............

2. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

Get ready to be shafted with a 10% restocking fee at AT&T.

3. patrickdunn thread starter macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I know that. Do they charge it to the statement or is that less what they put back on my card?

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

... OR you could sell it on Ebay and make a helluva lot more.

5. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I agree. Sell it, use the extra money to pay off small piece of your loans. Then cancel the data plan and just use a normal cell phone.

6. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Ditch the wife, keep the phone.

(Before everyone gets outraged, that's a joke.)

7. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

sorry to hear, tough times for a lot of people.. Hopefully you will be reunited soon :)

8. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Im gonna second the sell it.

eBay it for the price the phone cost you, simple.

10. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Not to meddle in your life, but hey, you began the meddling...but why didn't you think about this BEFORE you bought the iPhone? $65,000 worth of loans surely doesn't happen overnight.

Also, sell it on ebay. You can EASILY make 600 on it. Just remove the data plan with ATT, done. You make some money out of the whole thing.

11. oak macrumors newbie

Any other bad habits you can get rid of first?

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

Hey, man, take care of your life, first. The iPhone will always be there. Get your financial situation taken care of, and hopefully we'll see you back with an iPhone soon.

Good luck!

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You sound like my wife, knowing nothing about financial situation.

14. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Yo

You have to wait the full 30 days before taking off the data plan correct?

15. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Call the damn feds like AIG did.

You'll get a cool boatload wired in 10 minutes! Oh, and then take your precious to California for a nice 4 day spa treatment and relax with 3g access and a nice cool one.

Why should you suffer, the fat cats haven't. :eek:

And no, I'm not kidding.

16. xxshawnxx macrumors member

Well, since you have no shame in asking people to 'help you out' with your student loans (per your website), why not start another one to help pay for your iPhone?

If that doesn't work, why not write to your congressmen and ask for an iPhone bailout?

/sorry, had to get it off my chest :D

17. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

Seriously I didn't see that there was a web site asking to help out. Don't yell at me but is this the society that we're becoming? When I went to school I racked up some loan but then I got a job and paid for it. And I'm not telling you what you should have done but if I were in your shoes I would never have bought a house. I would have rented or lived with the parents until all the financial burden had been paid off.

18. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I lived in a ghetto apartment and ate ramen noodles to get my student loans covered and took out as little in loans as I had to in the mean while.

You really think people should help you with your student loans when you are out buying $300 smart phones that cost $60-$80 a month?

Get real.

19. xxshawnxx macrumors member

Agreed. I'm sure the OP wasn't looking for a flame-fest when he posted, but I think it's well-deserved. I lived VERY frugally in college also and it wasn't easy. Now, it's paid off.

Some of my buddies tell me they want some form of 'assistance' to help payoff their student loans while they are still in graduate school. I think it's the dumbest thing in the world to go to graduate school then find a mediocre paying job with a useless degree (like a masters in teaching or sociology, IMHO.) Trust me, there are many people like that.

20. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I gotta agree with you there. Makes no sense when you have no money and you're splurging on an iphone. I think it's just these type of bad decisions that you're making that has landed you in this spot. You have to be responsible for yourself and your actions. In fact I'm somewhat outraged by the way you're trying to raise money for your loan(s) and other expenses you shouldn't even have spent on. You're just passing on your responsibility and hoping to cash in on your sad story when the truth of the matter is you don't know how to manage your money and are spending all of it on things you should not be buying!

21. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Listening to your wife will payoff over time. ;)

22. patrickdunn thread starter macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Passing on my responsibility? I am not asking people to pay for my loans. I have a full time job and pick up things on the side (legal) to pay off my loans.

If your logic is correct, those with debt can't have any luxuries?? Is one supposed to work 50 hr work weeks with no reward? Since so many of you judge, my university stuck me with private loans. I had no idea the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans, now im paying out the rear in interest.

The Blog i created is more about wanting to educate people about loans so they don't get stuck like I did.

I believe I do know how to manage money, I returned the thing!! Just because I am 1 year out of college and have loans doesn't mean I don't know how to manage my finances. FYI: I have 0 CC debt, I drive a 1990 civic and don't have cable.

Thanks for judging me, the post was for questions about returning the phone.

To answer my ?:

1. It was easy, AT&T didn't even need a reason.
    2. The 10% restocking fee just is subtracted from what they put back on my CC.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

23. Woz Beard macrumors regular

Woz Beard

I love how everyone is critical of his spending habits. The man is asking for advice on the restocking fee. Nothing more!

He's not asking for a handout, donations, or financial advice for that matter. You little Suze Ormans should mellow out!

24. Sledutah macrumors regular

It helps if you don't pay taxes, then you can get hired from the white house :mad:

25. mpdrouin macrumors newbie

Bwahaha - that is kind of what I thought. Of course if my girl said we had to get rid of my iPhone well I would be in the same boat.

Bingo - this is what I had to do. Got rid of ESPN/cable, got rid of my coffee trips to Peets, no more 3 dollar burritos at my Burrito shack, always eat a brown bag lunch, got rid Sirius Radio, and some other things. After that was done, the iPhone plan was an easy sell.

Why not just deffer your student loans. Those bad boys will be with you longer than that iPhone.

Why not get the 3G 8gig? The price difference between the 32gb and 8gb is what, 400-500 bucks (I have no idea how much a 32gb is)? The price difference between the two phones will pay for a year of the iPhone plan.