All iPads Returning my Air 2, and buying a refurbed mini 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marcosscriven, Oct 25, 2014.

1. marcosscriven macrumors regular

Spent a few days with the new Air, and while its stunning and super fast, I just couldn't get used to the size. Although it's now thinner and lighter, it still doesn't feel as easy to hold as my mini 1, and even feels a little sharp at the edge.

Decided instead to return it and go for last year's mini 2 refurb, to upgrade my existing mini 1. Only reason being for the retina screen.

2. teahupo'o macrumors newbie

I've never used a small tablet, but I think the mini is awesome. For some reason it makes my air 2 look too big. I think I'm going to buy a mini 3... But I wish it had A8

3. cheezeit macrumors 6502

Would have loved for the mini 3 to be upgraded internally as well. I'm opting to just keep my mini 2 lte and wait for the next years iPad / iPad pro rumor :apple:

4. scupking macrumors 6502a

If the mini 3 was updated with a8, 2gb of ram, laminated screen, ac wifi and as thin as the air 2 it would be fantastic. Probably be around a half a pound also!

5. teahupo'o macrumors newbie

Now that each Intel cpu revision is only 5% faster than the last, I'm switching to every 3 years.

My upgrade cycle is: iPhones every two years, MacBooks every 3 years (revised), and iPads every 4 years.

I just got this air 2 and my last was the super slow A4 powered original. It's amazing!!

6. marcosscriven thread starter macrumors regular

I'd buy the mini 3 if they simply discontinued the 2, but especially with the refurb prices for the 2, I really can't justify the huge extra just for Touch ID.

----------

Well the specs is why I thought I'd just try the new Air, but in reality the form factor of the mini won over for me.

The one feature of the new Air I really noticed was the antireflective coating - you can still get a reflection, but instead of seeing every detail of your face or what's behind you, you just see a vague silhouette.

7. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

I actually just bought an iPad Air 2 and refurb Mini 2, and I'm selling my Air 1. I'm surprised by how much more I am using the Mini 2 over the Air 2, even at home. I'm loving the form enough to overlook the inferior specs.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Well my original air is on loan to my cousin until the end of the year but I'm loving my retina mini that I just picked up. I had the original mini and thought it was perfect (for its time). The only issue I had was that the screen size was a bit small for watching videos at home.

The original air is a great device and the air 2 is a worthy upgrade. The only issue I had with the air was portability. Yea it's light and thin but it's still not as easy to carry around as the mini. I think if you want an on the go device the mini retina is the one to get. I don't think the mini 3 is worth the extra cash.

9. TJone macrumors 6502a

I returned my Air 2 yesterday because I found myself still using my Mini 2 more then the Air 2. The screen is excellent on the Air 2 but its a little less convenient to carry and use. I don't care about TouchID on an iPad since I don't unlock it as much as the iPhone. I don't play games on it either and the speed if the A8X is not that important to me. I just wish the gamma issue was fixed on the Mini 3. The Mini 3 is the Mini 2 with some window dressing.

10. BigCTM macrumors newbie

No way I could go back to the mini 2 after using the Air 2...The WiFi performance is so much better on the Air 2. The screen is better on the Air 2. I feel like I would want to upgrade soon with the Mini 2.

11. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Same here. I gave the Mini up the minute I got my first Air and never looked back. With my new Air 2 being even thinner and lighter than my first Air I think it is even better to hold for a longer period of time while reading, watching videos, ect...

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I did the same. I got the RMini last Sunday for $299. Once I tried the Air 2 especially for games and video, bye bye Rmini.

13. dyusem macrumors member

I too am disappointed in the Mini 3 so I'll purchase a Mini 2 refurb.

The refurb store has only Wi-Fi models with 32GB ($299), although I could spend more and get a 64GB Wi-Fi + Cell ($449), however I feel like being cheap and saving some bucks.

I'm wondering if you guys think that 32GB is enough storage, which will primarily be used for surfing, content consumption for video and eBooks, and temp storage for photography while traveling?

Cheers in advance!

14. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

The mini 2 is a fantastic purchase right now, though I recently sold my mini 2 to get the air 2 instead. Since I got my 6+ I almost never picked up my mini...the 6+ screen was big enough it essentially became my mini tablet so I didn't see a use for the mini 2 anymore. Now I'm using the air 2 since it's so convenient to carry in place of my MacBook Pro when I don't need it :D

15. teahupo'o macrumors newbie

Returning my Air 2, and buying a refurbed mini 2

I thought about getting a 32GB mini 2 to go along with my 64GB Air 2 but then I noticed the GoPro Hero4 was just released and that does 4K30 and 1080p120 recording. It even does 160fps at 720p.

For a surfer that is incredible

32GB is enough if you're frugal. I use a 16GB 5s, I just think it's less of a headache if you have free space.

16. klover macrumors 6502a

Could never go back to A7 and that low gamut screen but good luck.

17. teahupo'o macrumors newbie

Do you use an iphone? Last time I checked A8 was actually slower in the 6 plus than A7 because of the HD screen.

So unless you're using an android (and if so... I'm sorry?) you're going to have A7 level performance on something

18. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Yep, with the beast (Air 2) lurking at local stores, I know evidently I would want to ditch the Mini 2. :D

19. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I stream a lot of photos/videos from my NAS and the Wifi is really quick, pulls data fast.

20. Wbutchart macrumors regular

Thought about the air 2 - was tempted but the size just does not suit. My apps are all super fast on a7 and I couldnt care less about some low colour gamut nonsense! Will wait for the Retina mini 4.

21. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

Can you show us where you "checked" that the A8 is slower than the A7?

Or, better yet, show us where you checked that the A8x is slower than the A7x.

Or, actually, just show me a benchmark where the iPhone 6 Plus is slower than the iPad Mini 2.

Here you go:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8559/iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-preliminary-results
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed/2

22. teahupo'o macrumors newbie

Returning my Air 2, and buying a refurbed mini 2

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1209?vs=1353

The 6 plus is slower than the iPad Air in every single on screen test AND in basemark OS AND several other tests.

And I never said A8X was slower than A7 try reading for once. I said you WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH A7 LEVEL PERFORMANCE. Unless you don't have an iPhone lol.

23. marcosscriven thread starter macrumors regular

I went through the same logic - I wanted 64GB, but didn't think it worth getting a cellular one just to get it. Plus I figured this might be an interim purchase anyway, as I'd buy the mini 4 next year if it matches the features of the Air 2 (chiefly anti-reflective screen, thinner profile, A8X SoC)

Whether 32GB is enough for photography while travelling really depend on how long you travel. I've normally found it enough with my mini 1, but on a three month trip to South America (and a lot of photos), I had to start leaving some on flash cards, rather than syncing with EyeFi.

24. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I just did that yesterday. Love the mini. Bought Air 2 on launch day but when I got the mini, I just loved the portability and the screen size. Sorry Air 2, but Mini 2 is getting the love! I do not regret this one bit.

25. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I would have gladly paid $500 for a mini that received the same updates to the processor, 2gigs of ram, laminated screen and touchID while keeping the same thickness with larger battery; stop it with this thin is in crap.
    All Apple is doing now is a money grab with the larger iPad and their trying to cut corners while keeping profits high. Same is going to happen with the iPhone 6s plus vs iPhone 6s next year.
    And the issue I find with the iPad Air 2 is that the A8X will not be fully utilized for a year or two. I used the Air and Air 2 side by side and during my time the tablets where even or the Air 2 was a fraction of a second faster. On paper the Air 2 looks great in benchmarks but in real life you would never notice unless you use them side by side.
    A refurb retina mini at $250 is a great deal.