Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Got them this morning. These aren't going to work for me. The lack of inline controls and noise isolation is too much for me.

Sound isn't really the issue. Sound pretty much on par with EarPods IMO. My Sony's XB50BS's have much stronger bass.

I really love the case and the freedom that no wire whatsoever provides.

I'm glad I purchased them early and at least got to see for myself.

X3's are due to arrive tomorrow at my place. I need the ear canal seal they provide. I believe they will sound better than the AirPods too.

Regardless, if you can live with the lack of inline controls and noise isolation (some people prefer having ambient noise so they are aware of their surroundings) then I highly recommend the AirPods.

Larry The L

Suspended
Jun 9, 2016
Got them this morning. These aren't going to work for me. The lack of inline controls and noise isolation is too much for me.

Sound isn't really the issue. Sound pretty much on par with EarPods IMO. My Sony's XB50BS's have much stronger bass.

X3's are due to arrive tomorrow at my place. I need the ear canal seal they provide. I believe they will sound better than the AirPods too.

Regardless, if you can live with the lack of inline controls and noise isolation (some people prefer having ambient noise so they are aware of their surroundings) then I highly recommend the AirPods.

I appreciate that you gave valid reasons for not wanting the airpods as opposed to those who just come here and exclaim that "I hate those things". Good luck with whatever you choose.

Reactions: deany

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

Unless the X3's are different, my X2's really do not block out/isolate noise, maybe a tad but that is about it.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Unless the X3's are different, my X2's really do not block out/isolate noise, maybe a tad but that is about it.
I used the original Jaybird X's for 3.5 years. Just died on me recently. With comply tips I can't hear anything around me with music/podcasts playing.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

I've got a pair under the Christmas tree and am hugely excited to get my hands on them, but the lack of controls on them is the one thing that's giving me pause for thought:

I hate noise isolation on headphones (particularly when talking on them), so the lack of it is a positive for me, but if it's too much of a pain it is to control them, I may well return them too (and personally I don't see Siri as a sensible way of changing the volume so will use my phone or watch: I'm not currently using my Apple Watch but my Garmin also has music controls on it so hopefully it'll work with them)

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I've got a pair under the Christmas tree and am hugely excited to get my hands on them, but the lack of controls on them is the one thing that's giving me pause for thought:

I hate noise isolation on headphones (particularly when talking on them), so the lack of it is a positive for me, but if it's too much of a pain it is to control them, I may well return them too (and personally I don't see Siri as a sensible way of changing the volume so will use my phone or watch: I'm not currently using my Apple Watch but my Garmin also has music controls on it so hopefully it'll work with them)

I bought two pairs for my siblings for Xmas. I think they will like them. I still recommend AirPods to others.

Noise isolation has a hate/love camp to it. I can't stand distractions when listening to headphones. I want to be able to completely focus on whatever I'm listening to.

I suspect second gen AirPods will have an answer to the music control issue. It's too much of an oversight on version one IMO. But it won't bother others.

jcmoney10

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2009

I'm sad to say I'll be returning my Airpods as well, but for a much different reason.

From the second these were announced I was extremely excited to order a pair. I checked Macrumors everyday looking for more information as to when they would be ready to order. Finally when they went live to order, I was so happy that I was able to get a pair before their sold out.

Yesterday they came in, and unfortunately I discovered that they just aren't compatible with my ears. I've used them 3 times now, and each time within minutes they start to give me a headache and hurt my ears. I'm not even listening to music, just a radio show at low volume. It's been almost 2 hours since the last time I used them, and my ears are still sore from the 30 minute session.

I don't know if it's the form factor (never had an issue with the wired EarPods) or if I have some weird sensitivity to Bluetooth, but either way they just aren't working for me.

zaneliu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2013
Berkeley

I'm sad to say I'll be returning my Airpods as well, but for a much different reason.

From the second these were announced I was extremely excited to order a pair. I checked Macrumors everyday looking for more information as to when they would be ready to order. Finally when they went live to order, I was so happy that I was able to get a pair before their sold out.

Yesterday they came in, and unfortunately I discovered that they just aren't compatible with my ears. I've used them 3 times now, and each time within minutes they start to give me a headache and hurt my ears. I'm not even listening to music, just a radio show at low volume. It's been almost 2 hours since the last time I used them, and my ears are still sore from the 30 minute session.

I don't know if it's the form factor (never had an issue with the wired EarPods) or if I have some weird sensitivity to Bluetooth, but either way they just aren't working for me.

Have you thought about selling your AirPods?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.