Returning my free iPod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bootsie, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am planning on buying a new MBP in the next few weeks (I still can't decide if I should wait until after July 14) and getting the free printer and iPod touch, but I already have an iPhone, so I would much rather have an iPod classic instead of the touch. Is there any chance of being able to return or exchange the touch at either an Apple store, or some other place that sells them?

Thanks for any help. :)

2. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

No, but you can sell the Touch as a new sealed iPod and hopefully make enough money to buy an iPod Classic.

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I actually won a free iPod Nano from a conference and exchanged it for iLife and OS X Tiger upgrade at a local Apple Store. I just paid the difference.

4. record guy macrumors newbie

you think if I just took mine to best buy, new in the box, and said I didn't have a receipt that they would give me store credit? Or Wal-mart for that matter?

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

is the upc label still a requirement to redeem the rebate for the ipod? if it is, you won't be able to take back the ipod to any store, since it won't exactly be "sealed in box."

6. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

That is exactly what I want to do, that way I could just exchange it for an iPod classic.

7. record guy macrumors newbie

That's a tough call because I haven't actually ordered mine yet so I can't really say. I just don't really need the touch and would like to get as much money possible when I sell it, on ebay or otherwise.

Oh well, either way I'll be profiting so it doesn't really make a huge difference.

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Unless you buy via telephone, Apple Store, or online store the UPC is required. This might mean that Apple will remove the UPC themselves or that purchases made in this way are recorded by serial number. At any rate you'll probably not be able to do what you're thinking. You'd be better off just eBaying it as new-in-box and getting close to retail for it, although if it's DOA the purchaser may have trouble taking it back.

Terms and conditions PDF

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

atszyman, I actually read that as requiring the UPC codes in addition the "Proofs of Purchase" listed, since it appears to be a separate condition.

To the OP, what you're talking about doing would essentially scamming Apple. You can't get a rebate for purchasing a product and then expect to return the product and keep the rebate. There's no legal way to do that. You can, of course, sell the iPod to another private buyer for any amount that can be mutually agreed on, but don't even try to return it to the store.

jW

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The paragraph above it singles out UPC as required only from other stores. Through Apple you can get the rebate without the UPC, but this does not necessarily prevent them from removing the UPCs from the boxes they ship you.

11. iceblade macrumors member

Not to be disrespectful to any member of the community, but I'm not sure thats what the OP was intending to do. I think what the OP wanted to do was exchange their ipod touch for an ipod classic, as they felt that they could use a classic more then a touch. In that case, it isn't really scamming Apple, is it? It is simply trading it for something they could use more, although I still don't really think that any retailer is going to do it, especially if the UPC is missing.

As others have said, you can simply sell the ipod touch on ebay, get as much as you can for it, and pay the difference, if there is any, for a classic.

That being said, I haven't read the rebate agreement and all that sort of thing, so I don't know.

12. illidian macrumors 6502

Yes, it is scamming Apple. It's taking advantage of a business.

It's like walking into your local grocery store and Oreos are on sale for a dollar. You see other cookies on the shelf for three dollars. You prefer the other cookies, and they're even healthier, so you try to get those ones for a dollar because the Oreos are. That's attempting a scam.

13. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Looks like I will just be selling or trading the touch, I am not trying to scam anyone, it was just something I thought of and wondered if it would be possible, please don't act like I am a terrible person because I want something that I will use more.

Thank you to all those who helped me, and not just ridiculed my question.

14. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Good call in the end Bootsie. I agree that you would be in breach of the terms of the rebate offer if you attempted to return it to any retail location. I totally see where you are coming from but you will feel better about it in the end if you do it the right way.

Just slap that thing up on ebay and enjoy watching the bids build. Heck, ebay auctions are always fun for me... they give me something to watch throughout the week :p

15. iceblade macrumors member

Never mind. I thought it through better, and I understand now. It makes more sense now. Thanks everyone.

16. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Best Buy may be a bit hesitant without a receipt, but Walmart?! Of course they'll take it. I remember I returned a monitor without a receipt(was from them though), and they didn't ask me a single thing. They just gave me $250 back in cash :cool: Go ahead and do it at Walmart. After going through with it, you'll go "Dam, that was easy."

17. arj8138 macrumors member

If you arent going to try to do the rebate, then why not just buy a classic. If you are going to do the rebate you have to sell on ebay or craigslist. Simple as that.

18. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, Walmart's stepped up their return policies a lot. They'll hardly even do anything for you without a receipt, you'll get a fairly small portion of the original price on a gift card, certainly not cash.

Don't worry, I wasn't actually saying you were trying to scam them, I was just trying to put it in very clear language to make sure the point got across. Glad you decided to go the best route (it's the most likely to succeed anyways).

jW

19. bclayton88 macrumors newbie

i got my free iPod last year and it was supposed to be the nano..but i poked around and figured out that apple gives you a set amount toward a new iPod and you can chose the model you want...I ended up applying the $200 rebate toward an 80gig iPod video and paid the difference...so if it is like it was last year you don't have to order the touch you can just order the classic

20. bclayton88 macrumors newbie

oh yeah and just to let you now you have to send the upc with the proper documentation back to apple to receive your rebate