Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yeah, I have an 8" Galaxy Tab S2 and my new Mini 6 absolutely blows it away. It has the nice AMOLED display but the performance is wretched.
That’s an old tablet though. I can’t remember what year it came out but it must have been around 2015/2016.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I had originally upgraded my 2018 ipad pro to the 12.9 m1 but it was too big for my purposes but that screen. My 11" only has 128 gb I need more but wasn't going to upgrade since it didn't get the new screen. But this weekend Amazon has the new M1 11" 512gb for $999, I'm going to sell the 128 and keep this untill apple upgrades it to mini led.

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
Why not buy a mini 5? It’s still a very capable device and is better than any small android tablet on the market.

The thought crossed my mind recently, but I just can't pull the trigger considering I decided against buying the Mini 5 a few years ago because of the old design. But yes, I think in comparison otherwise to Android 8" tablets it blows them away.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
I see it in those videos. If you pause, you can also see that the refresh direction is the problematic one (e.g. the horizontal lines fade in and out from the left).
Yes.
Its there. I can see it by enlarging the video.

ExxonVS

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2020
Hey guys,

I've returned my Mini 6, they received it on Friday afternoon. DOn't you know how many days does it take to refund my money back to my card? What are your experiences? This was my first return to Apple.

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
I'm waiting for my Mini to be shipped. Ordered on day one, but clearly too late.

I got the most expensive combination (5G, 256GB). It does seem a bit steep, but this is the ultimate machine for my very particular use. It will serve as a navigation device inside the cockpit of an airplane. Nothing beats an iPad Mini in this scenario and the new processor should make things even better. This is my first Mini, by the way...

I'm hoping for an accurate GPS. According to what I have read, the old Minis have all been stellar in the cockpit. Very accurate and reliable.

Reactions: sracer and taneff

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I took a look at an iPad Mini 6 in store yesterday and was pretty surprised at how poor the screen was. It seemed grainier than I expected for the high PPI and I immediately noticed the weird effect when scrolling without particularly looking for it (for me it manifested as though all text was on a see-saw rather than 'jelly').

The bezels also look a bit disproportionate - I was surprised that the side bezels are actually noticeably bigger than on the Mini 5. I would prefer the 5's thinner side bezels in a 6-style body, even if that meant they were not identical on every side. Basically just take the 5 and cut a bit off the top and bottom.

The other thing that seems to be a bit of a let down isn't the hardware, but iOS 15. The look of the home screen does not seem to work well on the smaller screen - it's like it's giving the Mini 6 even bigger bezels, just with wallpaper on them. I have yet to update my Mini 5 and will now be holding off until there's a good reason to upgrade.

Overall the Mini 6 seems... fine, but a 120Hz screen and a slightly more tailored iOS experience would have really helped. If I didn't own a 5 I'd happily buy a 6, but I feel pretty confident I will be waiting on a 7 - which I'm willing to bet will have 120hz and hopefully iOS 16 with some interface tweaks.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Overall the Mini 6 seems... fine, but a 120Hz screen and a slightly more tailored iOS experience would have really helped. If I didn't own a 5 I'd happily buy a 6, but I feel pretty confident I will be waiting on a 7 - which I'm willing to bet will have 120hz and hopefully iOS 16 with some interface tweaks.

I am hoping the 7 (or a Pro Mini) will be where it is at but I think it is far enough away for me to not wait. I am getting another Mini 6 tomorrow (but a WiFi version instead of the 5G one) and gonna try to give it another go and try to get used to it.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I took a look at an iPad Mini 6 in store yesterday and was pretty surprised at how poor the screen was. It seemed grainier than I expected for the high PPI and I immediately noticed the weird effect when scrolling without particularly looking for it (for me it manifested as though all text was on a see-saw rather than 'jelly').

The bezels also look a bit disproportionate - I was surprised that the side bezels are actually noticeably bigger than on the Mini 5. I would prefer the 5's thinner side bezels in a 6-style body, even if that meant they were not identical on every side. Basically just take the 5 and cut a bit off the top and bottom.

The other thing that seems to be a bit of a let down isn't the hardware, but iOS 15. The look of the home screen does not seem to work well on the smaller screen - it's like it's giving the Mini 6 even bigger bezels, just with wallpaper on them. I have yet to update my Mini 5 and will now be holding off until there's a good reason to upgrade.

I will be very surprised if there is an iPad Mini 7 next year. It would be Fall of 2023 at the earliest.

elephantnut

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2015
Mine's going back. I really do appreciate that this form factor exists, but I'm honestly surprised Apple's let the mini ship with iPadOS in this state. By default, Safari requests desktop sites, and at (again, default) 100% page scaling, everything is absurdly small. I've spent a good bit of time futzing around with text scaling, Safari settings, and text sizing in apps that have their own setting, but the experience is just really inconsistent and wonky. Widgets are tiny.

I'm sure a lot of people appreciate the density, but I can't get it to work for me. My eyes are in pretty good shape, but just look at the size of the time/date text in the top left. Yikes.

Barsal

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
There was an iPad 4 released 6 months after the iPad 3, because apple got found out about the weak ”X CPU/GPU” in the 3
Don't remind me that ? it was my first and last iPad. Now I'm willing for a mini, and thinking about that will push me back ? Anyway the one I want is out of stock here so I have plenty of time to decide.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
. . .By default, Safari requests desktop sites, and at (again, default) 100% page scaling, everything is absurdly small. I've spent a good bit of time futzing around with text scaling, Safari settings, and text sizing in apps that have their own setting, but the experience is just really inconsistent and wonky. Widgets are tiny.

Is this a problem specifically with iOS 15?

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
My Starlight Mini 6 cellular arrived by courier today. I was going to wait but decided that I could do with having the form-factor right away. It is a mobile companion to the 12.9 Pro that never leaves the house. Really enjoying it, especially playing Civ 6 and COD Mobile on the go. I’m considering using Skype Out to turn it into the quasi-phone of my dreams.

Reactions: LibbyLA and jdb8167

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
It p!ssed me off as I bought the iPad 3 at launch!

It soured me so greatly on Apple that I haven't bought any Apple products to myself since(bought iPad and AppleTV to parents recently). Was a happy Macbook owner before and tried getting friends on the Apple train.

I remember being so happy with the iPad 3 at first with iOS5. Everything was snappy and smooth and the Retina screen was amazing. It was like stepping into the future. I had waited with the 1 and 2 because I wanted the tech to mature. Then iOS6 launched and I noticed that everything became laggy and I was a bit confused. A few months later iPad 4 came, which really made me wonder as before that there was a whole year between iPad releases. Then when iOS7 released I heard from a coworker and the Internet that it was practically unusable on the iPad 3. I can't describe the distaste I had with Apple because I didn't have much money at that point so every tech investment was expensive. To have them release something so half baked as the 3 that only got real support for little over a year was a shock to me. And then hearing subsequent years about how Apple is such a good company that supports their products for so long really soured me even further.

Some think I should let it go, but I've been a happy Android and Linux user since. I was very curious about the Mini 6 and thought that I should finally bury the hatchet, but the jelly scroll gave me flashbacks of my experiences so I've decided to wait. I might nab a Mac Mini if they get the M1X this year, since atleast I've had better experiences with the Mac line.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
It soured me so greatly on Apple that I haven't bought any Apple products to myself since(bought iPad and AppleTV to parents recently). Was a happy Macbook owner before and tried getting friends on the Apple train.

I remember being so happy with the iPad 3 at first with iOS5. Everything was snappy and smooth and the Retina screen was amazing. It was like stepping into the future. I had waited with the 1 and 2 because I wanted the tech to mature. Then iOS6 launched and I noticed that everything became laggy and I was a bit confused. A few months later iPad 4 came, which really made me wonder as before that there was a whole year between iPad releases. Then when iOS7 released I heard from a coworker and the Internet that it was practically unusable on the iPad 3. I can't describe the distaste I had with Apple because I didn't have much money at that point so every tech investment was expensive. To have them release something so half baked as the 3 that only got real support for little over a year was a shock to me. And then hearing subsequent years about how Apple is such a good company that supports their products for so long really soured me even further.

Some think I should let it go, but I've been a happy Android and Linux user since. I was very curious about the Mini 6 and thought that I should finally bury the hatchet, but the jelly scroll gave me flashbacks of my experiences so I've decided to wait. I might nab a Mac Mini if they get the M1X this year, since atleast I've had better experiences with the Mac line.
"The team are amazing, and it's hard to believe that just 6 months later we are releasing a new iPad......", no sh*t Phil! I just paid a fortune for this thing!

• Haha
Reactions: ScanTheNavian

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Mine's going back. I really do appreciate that this form factor exists, but I'm honestly surprised Apple's let the mini ship with iPadOS in this state. By default, Safari requests desktop sites, and at (again, default) 100% page scaling, everything is absurdly small. I've spent a good bit of time futzing around with text scaling, Safari settings, and text sizing in apps that have their own setting, but the experience is just really inconsistent and wonky. Widgets are tiny.

I'm sure a lot of people appreciate the density, but I can't get it to work for me. My eyes are in pretty good shape, but just look at the size of the time/date text in the top left. Yikes.
No way to disable Safari requesting desktop sites?

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden

I really wish that was me. If I was a happy Android user and had that as my ecosystem I’d get the new Fold over a phone+iPad Mini in a heart beat. Been trying to get myself to buy it instead of the iPad Mini for the past week but currently it is just too much effort to move from iOS to Android when it involves switching phone, tablet, headphones and watch all at the same time to get what I currently have. As well as losing a lot of nice to have features you get by being all Apple ecosystem.

Guess I have to hope for the rumours of an Apple foldable arriving in 2023 being correct then…

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Samsung has put stellar oled screens in 8 in tablets there are no excuses at this price point to use as poor of a panel they did on the mini 6

Reactions: Rowdy07 and sracer

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
So, i purchased a 256Gb Space Grey Wifi iPad Mini 6, well the device is beautiful, form factor/size is perfect, im just completely underwhelmed for paying pretty much $1000CAD for this thing.. Screen is "ok"... cameras are "ok" , Battery life is "ok"..

i really really really wanted to like it and convince myself to keep it but i cant justify the price for the final product received.
In a similar boat, and have decided between the screen quality, scrolling issue, 5ghz wifi issue, and wobbly power button to give in and return it.

Frustratingly I'm having the worst customer service with John Lewis (UK) I've experienced of late. They were obviously aware of the screen complaints as they quoted back to me using the 'jelly scrolling' terminology which I hadn't even mentioned. They refuse to accept a return on the basis of any defect, nor will they take it back under distance selling/contract regulations as it's been opened! How on earth is one to know there's an issue without having opened and used the item.

As it stands I'll have to physically go into one of their retail stores to (again) have the argument with staff later this week. Even more frustrating when you consider I was intending to instead buy an 11" Pro (£200 more!)

Is anyone else have issues trying to return their Mini, or able to report success in returning? I did mention to them that Apple themselves will take items back, no questions asked, within 14 days. Disappointing that John Lewis can't offer the same flexibility. Guess I won't be buying from JL in future if they can't match Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.