Returning My iPhone 4S...will my Cell# Be in Limbo??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Oct 26, 2011.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

i just bought a new iphone 4s yesterday there are some problems with it...instead of replacing it via genius bar i want to just get a brand new one in a new box (yes ocd)

ive been told i can just return it and then buy a new one...will there be a restocking fee in this scenario? also how does this affect my cell#? if i am to return it and they dont have the phone i want in stock can they re-activate my number on my old 3gs while i wait for a new one to be shipped ? or will my number be in limbo until i get another new iphone 4s?

2. blue43fan macrumors regular

Not a good idea. Just have the Genius Bar replace it. The phone is only two weeks old, they'll replace it with a brand new one.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If bought at an Apple store there will be no restocking fee - if bought elsewhere there probably will. However (assuming you bought at subsidized price) you won't be able to return it and immediately buy another one, you'll have to wait a few days for your upgrade eligibility to be reinstated.

If you have your old phone, you can take it to your carrier and get your number activated on it.

Best advice :)

4. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

boo! i want the instant gratification of buying a new one ! -_-
    is the 'wait a few days for your upgrade eligibility to be reinstated' a formal apple policy?

sounds easy enough...will they have to put a new sim card in my old phone?

----------

i know everyone says that the replacement phones in those black boxes are brand new but i want a new sealed one in the retail box. yes im ocd and yes i realize it sounds crazy but i dont want the one that comes in the black box

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That is the carrier policy not Apple.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Nothing to do with Apple. You are not currently eligible for upgrade through your carrier, because you already used it. It takes time for the process to be reversed through your carrier.

----------

Maybe, but whatever they need to do - they'll do it :cool:

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Your life will be much easier if you just take it to the Genius bar and get it taken care of. There's nothing you're going to get from a brand new phone in the pretty box that you won't get from the one the Genius bar can give you. Then again, I can't imagine going back to my 3GS for anything at this point.

8. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

do you know the exact length of time?

9. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I got a battery issue / dock connector issue replacement on my 4S and it was brand new. The genius said it's too new to have refurbished - he said they won't be coming in til at least 2 months after launch.

10. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah but did u get it in the new box or the black box

11. gMacbookPro macrumors member

a replacement's serial # wont match your iPhone 4S box.
    If you want a match one, return it. Apple Retail store and apple.com now have 30 days return and no restocking fee.
    That's what the apple store manager told me.
    If you used the upgrade price to get your iphone, you need to tell your carrier that you return your phone and you can get a new 4S with the upgrade price.