Returning my Macbook next week

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taylor200588, Feb 9, 2008.

1. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

so i posted here like WEEKS ago detailing only a couple of problems im having with this macbook. I phoned up that Apple store in Glasgow the other day and they told me just to book an appointment at the genius bar and to come on in.

so im away to book the appointment later on

ive actually had to wriye a LIST of all the things that are wrong with my machine, some are just cosmetic problems (disscoloured palm rest, crack beginning to show in upper left hand corner on keypad, the "J" key not working properly) that sort of thing. But ive got more serious problems like the extreme heat that coming from the bottom and ACTUALLY leaving me massive red marks on my legs (i know i know but i dont hav a desk in my room), the screen playing up, wifi cutting off and on, programs keep crashing and being slower to start up.

there are still a few more things that are bugging me, and in my mind for what i paid for the laptop, its just now worth it!

its still under warranty, ive only had it nearly 5 months and its started to get on my nerves. and i have to travel over 100 miles to get to this store in glasgow, take a day off work, my mum has to take a day off college to come with me, so i dont want to go in and them saying "oh, theres nothing we can do" or "we'll send it off to repair and you'll get it back in a million days with more problems"

so what my question today IS that how likely is it that they would do me an exchange for the black macbook and me paying the difference??? cause from what ive read there dosnt seem to be as many problems with them, my friend has one and she hasnt had a single problem with hers and shes had hers longer than mine.

thank you for anyone who replys

Craig

2. amoda macrumors 6502a

K,

1. If you really do have a "list" of problems I wouldn't leave before they gave me a replacement. Too many things going wrong that they'd be practically replacing everything in the inside. Might as well push them to give you a whole new unit and retain a customer.

Mention things like:
    1. The whole you're replacing practically everything in the darn laptop other than the case, HD and screen. Might as well give me piece of mind and replace the entire thing.
    2. Your major inconvenience. Two people taking days off and driving 100 miles would be considered "major".
    3. If you use it for work bring that up. Their poor quality control is costing you time and money.

2. Not sure about wether they'd let you upgrade and pay the difference, but no harm in trying. However, the quality thing you're talking about isn't true. The exact same parts that go into the MacBook go into the BlackBook. All that's different is an extra layer of paint. I have a bunch of friends with MacBooks that don't have a problem, while the only one I know with a BlackBook had its motherboard die...twice! So if you want it because you like the look or whatever, go ahead and push for it. But don't spend the extra cash for non-existent quality gains.

Cheers and best of luck.

3. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

cheers man, I really apreciate your advice. I didnt know that black MacBooks used the same components, I thot maybe they were slighty better. I was gonna try and stretch to the pro but all that power would b wasted.

I'm gonna try getting a replacment, might just go n and get the manager.

Will keep u posted :p

4. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

just thot I wud giv u a wee update on my situation

So I went to the apple store today, finally got to play on the MacBook airs ... not as great as I thot they wud be. So anyway I went away upto the genius bar and got this dude. I sat and spoke to him for a wee while, gave him my list of problems in my mac. He had a wee look and started typing on his laptop. Then he told me that he has the parts in stock and they can repair all the things for me and I can pick it up at the end of them week.

I live over 100 miles from the store so no can do.

I was totally devistated, I gave it my best to get him to replace the machine but said he couldnt. Then suggested to me that I phone apple direct wen I get him and get them to come pick it up, repair it, then send it back. So I asked if I cud fone them from the store and so he let me.

Nearly an HOUR on the phone to apple care speaibg to 3 different people explaining to each of them the massive list of problems I hav with the machine. Anyway I got them to arrange to pick it up from my house instead.

I was totally pee'd off that they wouldn't replace it, its not even 5 months old and I hav all these problems.

But thats it away to get sent to some company called group 8 to get fixed. I also took in my old iPod nano but he just replaced that with a new one so I got a new iPod out of it all haha

5. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

They won't replace it unless it's been fixed 3 times in one year.

6. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

i know that the staff and apple have guidelines to follow and everything, but like what amonda said, they would be repairing most of the components on the machine so they would have been better off just giving me a new one

anyways my laptop is getting picked up sometime this week from my house and is getting sent to this Group 8 company to get fixed. looks like i'll be Mac-less for a few weeks or so

:( sucks

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Not true.

My cousin had a problem with his HDD, he booked an appointment. He went in with his mom, said he needed it for school, had an assignment due. His mom complained, and bam, he gets a new MacBook (black) SR! he had the 2.16GHz one, and now he has the latest.

So it's possible, I guess it depends on the mood of the people your working with and the manager.

8. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Seems like maybe you you just want a Blackbook and are making up some issues.. or perhaps turning small issues into larger ones. I see a lot of that on these forums. IMHO most humans tend to embelish their issues.

I dont like it.

9. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

MacBook (black)

I just bought my MacBook and everything is fine, but the fan makes a lot of noise all the time. It's really really annoying. My Mac Pro is much quieter and my old PowerBook G4 is quieter. What's the deal with this?

10. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

[QUOTE="zepharus"Seems like maybe you you just want a Blackbook and are making up some issues.. or perhaps turning small issues into larger ones. I see a lot of that on these forums. IMHO most humans tend to embelish their issues.

I dont like it./QUOTE]

I'll completely admit i wanted the blackbook, but after doing a wee bit of snooping around and what amondas told me the blackbook is the same machine. I got it in my head that it was better haha

and i know that all the issues arent massive huge big problems, buts its alot of little problems and they are all just annoying and i even told the guy at apple that yesterday

i just wish apple would make there machines with a little better quality :(

11. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

We just took our two month old macbook to the genius bar last week. Optical drive was dead, and several keys would function intermittently. They replaced the drive and the whole bottom half with the keyboard in it. They had to order that part so it's taking a little longer than expected.

12. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

i'm sure his heart bled for you. none of the problems you listed are serious enough to warrant a new computer (i mean, heat because you don't place it on a flat surface...) and you're surprised and disappointed they did what is most economical for them? It's not like they won't fix the problems, so you'll end up with a fixed computer. What else did you want?

13. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

yeaaaaaah im beginning to come round that i was silly hoping for a new computer. i just want this one sent off, fixed then back to me so i can start to upgrade it.

might slap in a bigger hard drive and install this Leopard all you whipper snappers are going on about : P and maybe a wee 2GB RAM.

i apologize, its all the sugar in these dam Frosties :D

14. iPhelim, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013