Returning my MacBook Pro for second time in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBookPro13", Feb 26, 2011.

1. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

OK so I bought a MacBook Pro (2010) couple of weeks back and it broke after 2 days and I got a replacement sent out the following week. The replacement had audio problems and the bottom of the laptop wasn't screwed in properly and made a sound like it wasn't screwed in right every time I put in on the table.

So I rang them today and they are sending out a 2nd replacement. On the phone I asked which model would they be sending out and he said we try and send out "like for like" which I presumed was going to be a 2010 model, so I asked for a 2011 model and he put me on hold while talking to his supervisor and it seems like they have approved my request but he did mention that the 2010 models aren't being built anymore.

Do you think there is a chance they still have some 2010 models lying around and might ship me that instead? (I want the 2011 one).

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's plenty of 2010 models left to send out as replacements.

3. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Well, what if they do send you a 2010 model? Do you think you're entitled to something else?

4. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Entitled to? Maybe not, but do I want a 2010 model after having to return it twice? no.

Either a full refund or a 2011 model would be acceptable to me. (whether you agree with that or not).

You pay good money for something and expect it to work, not some 3 week saga like I have endured.

5. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

Just posted something similar. I just read some useful info on other threads and I'm thinking about asking for my old one back, exchanging it for the Air or 15", or getting my money back and rethink this whole thing. This is Apple for you... I spend 10 minutes whining so that I can exchange my 2010 that I bought a few weeks ago for a 2011, and then this 2011 seems to have worse graphics and lower battery life.

6. Wattser93 macrumors regular

If you don't like your 2011 model I'm sure you can trade it to somebody for a 2010 model.

7. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Is the graphics card worse in the 2011? :eek:

When they say 7 hours wireless web, I get 5 hours wireless web on the 2010 model so maybe people are reading it wrong and the battery is just more accurate? :cool:

8. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

You'll get a new one if you nicely insist that they give you one.

My friend returned a perfectly fine 2010 MBP yesterday, 3 days after the 14 day cutoff. He just went to the store, mentioned that Apple emailed him a promo about the new ones and he was disappointed.

He was prepared to go into long reasons for them to refund or exchange, but the manager was next to the employee that to whom my friend talked. After only speaking about 3 sentences, the manager said, "get him a new one."

Excellent experience for a new Mac convert (who didn't get that far in the conversation to mention, before being offered a replacement.)

9. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

He will get a 2011 and i think that's great.

10. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

You blame apple when you didn't do your homework. Remarkable

11. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

You have 30 days to return you 2010 MBP for a new model. This was told to me yesterday by a manager at the Apple Store in Austin, Texas. They kindly replaced my 2010 13" 34 days after my purchase. Just be respectful and kind, which I'm sure you would do anyway. The fact you've had two service requests will likely help your case for an upgrade.

12. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

There several threads that compare the machines. Check them out for some interesting reading.

13. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Thank you :)

14. suckatcomputers, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

suckatcomputers macrumors regular

I posted another thread of a problem I'm having. I just don't expect a new $1500 product (that was just released) I buy come with a dirty screen and clicking noise.

When a something is new or upgraded I expect every aspect to be the same or better than the old. Maybe I'm crazy.

I blame Apple for my dirty screen and clicking noise. I open this beautiful packaging and my screen has streak marks!? I hate their unknown release dates and other business tactics but I can't and don't blame them for that. I would do the same thing.

I don't have the time and energy to be politically correct and explain with perfect clarity when I comment on forums, so let's keep this thread moving and resolve the issues.

15. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

thats not what is in your post in this thread...it appears you are complaining about battery life and video specs.

and it has nothing to do with being PC..it has to do with giving those who are trying to help some respect by taking the time to give us the info...if you indeed want help...unless all u really want to do is whine.

16. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

But you didn't mention the "refund" angle in your original post. Now *that* you are entitled to.

As far as the pain and suffering part... technically, it sounds like Apple is legally taking care of you and honoring their warranty (as they should).

But to demand something else other than what you paid for... that doesn't make sense.

At this point you're at the mercy of somebody in a good mood.

I should take over the Apple call center. The entire Macbook line would drop $200.

17. Buck987, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

Buck987 macrumors 6502a

and you didn't buy the new computer...apple exchanged your used, older model for it...

18. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

your signature implies you are a "certified macintosh technician", are you saying that apple certified technicians cant fix simple audio problems?

19. MacBookPro13" thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Well if I was only getting the 2010 model I would have told him I just want a full refund, with which I would have went and bought the newer model anyway (which is only an extra 50euros), but I asked for the 2011 model before taking the refund angle and I appear to be getting it. (As I feel I should get IMO).

20. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

I really didn't do my homework because I'm looking at photos for the Thunderbolt input now, haha.

What? So they "added" the Thunderbolt technology and gave me a refurbished 2010?

21. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

what are you talking about...did they give you a 2011 model or what?

Maybe you were given the wrong box at the store?

You have this since last night...dont you know what you have been given?

22. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I endured a similar saga spanning about 5 days with a top of the line 15" i7 (2.8GHZ,4GB,500GB,Anti-glare) in November. I got my first one and the LCD was scratched, the second had a noticeable dead pixel in the middle of the screen, and the third had a faulty hard drive. After the third one I got sick of the machine and returned it and got an 11 inch air which I absolutely love and it's so much better than the MBP in terms of quality and user experience.

23. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

I got a 11" air to go with my imac and 13" mbp and I have to say its a great machine.

But I have had no issues with the others either.

24. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

yes buckwheat they exchanged my 2010 for 2011. And this 2011 is the one I had issues with. So a couple hours ago, I went to exchange it again for another one.

I'm using my new 2011 MBP 13" now, and this time it did not have marks on the screen, and so far it doesn't make a clicking noise when I lift it up, or when I "wake it up" from sleep by lifting the screen.

i apologize for not being clear. whewww, now get off my case, haha.

25. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

that's great news...enjoy...i'm sure apple is happy ur off their case...