iPad mini Returning my Mini today

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Newtons Apple, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

No fault of the device, just got the itch for it and now have regrets.

My 11" wins for sure.

2. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

...and THAT, boys and girls, is how it is done. thumpsup.gif

We can read the "speeds and feeds" spec sheets on a device, and watch numerous video reviews, and kick the tires in the store, and not really know what it can actually do for us until we get it home and use it. I think it would be helpful for others if you could describe why you were interested in it in the first place and what things were like with it after you got it home.

3. Calebtt macrumors member

No interest in the mini XS Max serves as the mini for me.

4. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Basically thought it would be useful in the vehicle instead of using my 11" but the screen/keyboard size was a bit more than I want to put up with. Maybe I will find a 10.5 to take it's place.

5. nickkrumors macrumors member

I have a two year old 10.5 that I've been using, but have been really intrigued by the Mini 5 since it was announced. The person at the Apple Store encouraged me to take it home for the 14 days and try it out. Said there was zero issue with returning it. Glad you were able to do the same.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I have a 10.5” that I use daily, and for my needs, it’s perfect. It never feels cumbersome, but it’s large enough to be happy with browsing, editing, etc. Camera is really top notch in a pinch as well.

7. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

Is there a cure for the iPad Mini 5 infection?

8. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Good call. I have been working to not make as many dumb Apple purchases any longer. iPhone is kind of different as it's paid monthly regardless, but for anything else - I am trying to make better decisions. Skipped Watch 4 and AirPods 2 and will likely hold onto my 11 inch Pro for an extra year also. The hardware is so good right now that it just doesn't make much sense. I wanted a mini because I like the form factor, but I have zero use for it. It'd just be another screen, which I need less of.

9. Fenhalls macrumors 6502

I suppose this "itch" is being encouraged by the obvious excitement exhibited by some members of the forum. Of course, to balance this out, at least partially, there are one or two party poopers issuing forth with the usual jeremiads.

10. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

The mini 5 is one of the few Apple products that currently interests me. Like to have compact devices. Don't think I'll get one, but they look nice. I am glad they kept the home button.

11. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

We need to find the source of this itch. It’s driving me crazy! :mad:

12. Mackinjosh Suspended

The Mini is definitely not a good Safari machine to me, and I'm finding that what I want most of all is a great readily available device for web browsing while watching NBA/NFL games. Mini going back, Air coming in. Mini is a great tablet though, and if I was just using it for games, the Mini would be the easy winner. I also found that with the black bars, the available real estate for watching videos was similar to what I already get on my XR.

13. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

I think going from an 11” to 7.9” screen is a big change so I’m not surprised you didn’t like the keyboard. The bezels are too gigantic (I am used to the 10.5) on the Mini that they just make it look ugly.

We’re glad you found what fits your needs. :)

14. Fenhalls macrumors 6502

The mini will be used by me for reading ebooks and listening (via headphones and AirPlay) to locally-stored music and audiobooks, and also radio. That's it.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2019 ---
    Frank has the same problem:

15. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Lol, meanwhile, I'm glad to be rid of monthly phone payments. Granted, my iPhone 7 256GB only cost me $8.33/mo. Admittedly, I splurged more on the storage than what I actually needed because of the iPhone 6 trade-in credit. :)

16. Rafterman macrumors 68020

The 11 is a superior machine, but after holding it for an hour reading, it becomes not so superior. Plus, most people don't need "superior". Many look for a Kindle type replacement, or companies use them for data use - warehouses, medical staff, etc. Like Montgomery Scott once said "the right tool for the right job, laddie!"

17. Fenhalls macrumors 6502

Ditto the 9.7 Pro and the 10.5 Pro, and I read a lot of ebooks. I do need a tablet, though, and the Kindle for certain reasons doesn't cut it for me.

18. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

No point keeping something that you are not thrilled with. In your situation I believe you made the right choice.

I love my Mini and I’m keeping it. It will be my take everywhere device. My 10.5 can remain home where there is less risk of damaging it.

19. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am hoping I will be cured when I return it.

20. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Makes sense. I personally had to move on from the old design, but there is no wrong choice. I am comfortable with a monthly for my phone, but I will be downsizing this fall.

21. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Yep, the Mini will simply not do for me. Very nice hardware but these fingers have got to love the larger keyboards.

For those who got one or are getting the Mini, it should not disappoint.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I have zero itch.

My phone is portable and convenient.

My 10.5” Pro is a great size for video, browsing, etc. while still being lightweight.

For me, the Mini is a compromise on both accounts.

23. Fenhalls, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019

Fenhalls macrumors 6502

1) For me, a phone is too small for reading ebooks.

2) I spend much time tagging my music, and many of those tags are really long. A larger screen enables me to see them better. Nicer also for viewing my album art scans.

3) Audiobooks often contain a large number of chapters and/or parts. Once again, I can see what is going on better on a larger screen.

4) For radio, it really doesn't make any difference.

----------

Update

I use Cs Music Player for listening to my locally stored music on iPads. I find it great for pretty much everything (inter alia, viewing tags and album art and sorting). From my point of view, at any rate, it is streets of ahead of the default music app in terms of functionality and looks.

24. Josieb1 macrumors regular

Josieb1

I’m the target market for the mini. I just can’t use a normal sized iPad anymore. I’ve been using a Mini as my only iPad for the last five years. My Mac is a 13”. I do like a large phone though and have the 6s+.

The large phones aren’t a patch on the mini though.

25. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If you decide to get it you will love the Mini 5!