Returning my new MBP..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Koconut, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Koconut macrumors newbie

Well, I finally bit the bullet and decided to delve into the world of :apple:.

After I spilt a pint of water onto my old dell I couldn't resist so went ahead and ordered a custom 2.4mbp on the 19th and due for delivery on either the 30th or the 31th (although that seems rather long and the wait is swinish)..
    Anyway my question is - with all the talk of an update to the macbook pros, will I be return my mbp and exchange it for one of the new models if it is indeed updated, or will Apple just tell me to shove it? I read the return policy and it's a bit unclear to me. It's just with my first mac I want it to be perfect, not that the current one will be, but you know what I mean.. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Chris.

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I believe the "rule" is that you have 14 days to return it for a full refund. Just don't hold me to that.

3. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

What will you be doing on it? If just browsing the internet and email word etc. The one coming your way will suit you nicely. If you are gonna use the pro for what it was made for like editing and stuff like that I would start thinking hard about returning it. :p Sorry I didn't really answer your question that well but that is what I would do. I just bought my first mac last month and its a MBP and I absolutely love it!

4. Koconut thread starter macrumors newbie

Well.. whatever takes my fancy really.. mainly browsing, music, the odd bit of gaming :)

I just want it to last for as long as possible even considering that technology is completely advancing. It would be a ... to not get the latest tech by a few days though..

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Because you customised the laptop during the purchase, I doubt you will be able to return it simply due to changing your mind as the general terms regarding returns are for the standard configurations.

It would be worth asking Apple the question I guess, or if you're already thinking about returning it, I'd just cancel the order ASAP and sit and wait (like me) for the updates to come.

6. Koconut thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm.. well I just had another look at the returns policy but it doesn't say anything about customised models. Thats with the UK site, but looking at the US site it clearly states that customised models can't be returned..

7. Usoandso macrumors member

Usoandso

You have 14 days to return it for a full refund as long as you don't open it. If you open it, you still have 14 days but Apple will charge you a 10% fee.

8. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Indeed, returning customized models is generally more difficult than standard ones.

To avoid any unpleasant surprises and the suspense of stressful phone conversations with Apple personnel, I would suggest that you either decide once and for all to keep the machine you've ordered, or that you cancel it right now and wait until the revision is released. I would certainly NOT count on the possibility of returning the machine.

9. powerchord macrumors member

That refers to a non-customized unit. If you check Apple's Sales and Refund Policy it stipulates:

"Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival"

- couldn't be much more clear than that.

To the OP, I too, just ordered a custom-built MBP (should arrive soon) because I needed a laptop pronto. Also I couldn't play the waiting game any longer.

However, in light of the recent "news" that an update is just around the corner, I feel some remorse as well, but hey, that's life. Also, keep in mind that unless you are really gonna push the machine to the limit with intensive video editing and hard-core gaming then it really doesn't matter. Your purchase will suit you just fine. A "new and improved" Macbook Pro that may come out in days or weeks won't make the one you bought any worse. OK, so the newer ones will be "more bang for the buck" but don't go nuts over it, it's not worth it. Just accept it and enjoy what you have. Next time you may be luckier. In the end it's only a !@#$% laptop. :)

10. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I believe its a 15% restocking fee. Some people have been able to get out of it but others haven't. I tried once after returning a MBP and they were hands down not going to let me get away without paying the restocking fee.

11. ewxlt macrumors regular

Perhaps a new, in box, unopened MBP can be sold on EBAY for close to what you paid? Even if you got 15% less, you'd still be spending that on the restocking fee.

12. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Ebay sucks right now cause of the companies going online and selling bulk. It hurts the consumer pricing. Thats what I have noticed.

13. dmb3886 macrumors regular

i am contemplating returning my macbook pro as well. I didn't have it BTO though, i picked it up at an apple store last saturday so i shouldnt have a problem if i do. i want the new one because im a gamer and it should have a better graphics card and i want a better hard drive/faster processor. the only thing holding me back though is that i need my laptop for school, video editing and the other stuff i want to do on it can wait, but school cant really...so im waiting for a definite date of release from appleinsider or something because if i do give it up i would LIKE to know when ill be getting it and the waiting game would NOT be fun. i still have my old laptop (3 1/2) hp pavilion..but its not that relaible cuz it crashes a lot and i hate it, but technically I COULD wait for a little bit

especially if it ended up being april/may/june...but if i have a known date/week it'd be coming out i bet i could do it. i want to be on top for 6 months and have that great graphics card

i planned on upgrading the ram for my current mbp anyway

14. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Gaming should never revolve around a MBP. I know they can handle some gaming but if you want true gaming performance go with either a desktop or a gaming laptop.

If you opened your box you will be charged a 15% restocking fee. And doing think a new CPU is going to increase your gaming capabilities. The new GPU sure, but it won't be a huge leap if they do upgrade the video card.

15. thebeat macrumors regular

It is worth returning... the new MBP will be here anytime now, later February the latest. I am guessing next week or mid Feb. Return it man, don't even think about keeping it. For that kind of money, you might as well spend it on the newest technology and not old. If there is a restocking fee, oh well, I'd still return it.

16. wentwj macrumors regular

The MBP is fine for casual gaming, and is as capable as similar laptops.

Sure you're not going to be running Crysis on max or anything, but I don't think the OP or anyone ordering an MBP is expecting it to be a "gaming" laptop.

17. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I just know from previous postings that people tend to expect too much from the MBP. My MBP plays wow just fine and I am sure the new ones blow it out of the water.

18. dmb3886 macrumors regular

alright thanks a lot man. i think ill hold onto it until day 13 (aka this friday), that way i can get a little more info on the update as well has be able to use it for school. ill need to find a way to back up any files of course with no external hard drive, gmail ftw

and people, i got it for many reasons:
    - i wanted a computer with a really nice userface/interface
    - 15'' size screen or greater
    - the ability to run some games (which my old laptop did not)
    - one that wouldnt break down after a year and would last a while (mac = no viruses)
    -all the video editing/garageband/insight software that comes STANDARD