Returning my pre-ordered 3G S and keeping my first gen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zeos, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Zeos macrumors 6502

After the 3.0 upgarde on my first gen iPhone, I think I'm going to return my Pre-Ordered 3G S unopened. The 3.0 update has actually sped up my Edge phone nicely. The reviews of the 3G S have been positive, but unexciting. Looks like next year's iPhone will sport the ARM processor. That may be worth the leap and a new two-year contract!

2. Munitalp macrumors 65816

You should either upgrade and sell it next year when the new one is released, or sell it now. I actually made money by selling my 2G and 3G when the new models were announced. There is absolutely no reason to not upgrade, since you will get at least $200 more than the phone costs next year when the new one is released.

3. ryvetted macrumors member

4. taran420 macrumors 6502a

no

5. dagomike macrumors 65816

Will you have to pay a restock? If not, then I see no harm in in testing the waters for a while and save money.

6. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Actually, all iPhones have ARM processors. I believe you're talking about the multi-core ARM, and if you are, it's not coming out until 2010, so Apple wouldn't be able to put it into production until at least 2011.

I don't know why you'd return the 3G S. Compared the first generation iPhone, it's a huge leap. 3G, GPS, video, compass, faster, more storage, better RAM.

But it's your decision.

7. netslacker macrumors 6502

I have a 2G iPhone and I'm upgrading. For me it's really a speed thing, EDGE on this phone has been driving me crazy for two years now... time to move on and get with 2006. Undoubtedly the 3.0 update resolves the majority of gripes for me the EDGE speed is just not something I want to deal with for another year.

Just my .02

8. Zeos thread starter macrumors 6502

I was hoping someone would talk me out of returning it! :p I'll hold off until some addt'l reviews start showing up on this forum. Not having a 3G now, I may not know what I'm missing in terms of speed.

[I don't know why you'd return the 3G S. Compared the first generation iPhone, it's a huge leap. 3G, GPS, video, compass, faster, more storage, better RAM.

But it's your decision.[/QUOTE]

9. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

3G is faster than EDGE, but the real bottleneck is the rendering speed of websites, which is exactly what the 3G S improves. If I were you, I'd get the 3G S because it's a big upgrade in hardware.