Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I tried to convince myself the 2015 MBA I had was superior to the MacBook because of the ports and processor but that screen, my God. I returned it 3 days after I bought it. Its embarrassing Apple still sells a new MacBook in 2015 with that horrid TN display, much less what they charge for it. I'll gladly put up with a split second lag to never have to look at that MBA display again.
LOL. Yeah, at this point I have to imagine that since similar lag is being seen on 13" rMBP, that this problem does not necessarily come down to a lack of horsepower and that it is fixable in software. So those rMB owners who are suffering from lag today may eventually get a fix. The Air screen, however, is most definitely not fixable in software. ;)

Even if they have no plans of ever updating the Air line to use "Retina" (HiDPI) and will likely retire it and replace it with the rMB at some point, you'd think they would at least replace the panels in the Airs with IPS ones that match the DPI of the current TN panels. (It would not be unprecedented for Apple to use a non-Retina IPS panel in a portable product: Exhibit A is the iPad 1.)

-- Nathan

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
The high end rMBP 15, the MBA or a Windows laptop. If you are going to be that nit picky, those are your choices.

Man, you're funny. :-D

But thank you for your insight. You've made the situation perfectly straightforward. Really...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
LOL. Yeah, at this point I have to imagine that since similar lag is being seen on 13" rMBP, that this problem does not necessarily come down to a lack of horsepower and that it is fixable in software. So those rMB owners who are suffering from lag today may eventually get a fix. The Air screen, however, is most definitely not fixable in software. ;)

Even if they have no plans of ever updating the Air line to use "Retina" (HiDPI) and will likely retire it and replace it with the rMB at some point, you'd think they would at least replace the panels in the Airs with IPS ones that match the DPI of the current TN panels. (It would not be unprecedented for Apple to use a non-Retina IPS panel in a portable product: Exhibit A is the iPad 1.)

-- Nathan

I agree that it could be fixed. My problem was there are tweaks to fix the problem on the pro (reduced transparency, LCD smoothing, reduced contrast). Those same tricks did not help on the rMB.

I go in and out of mission control all day long, so it is enough to be distracting. If I just had a few tabs in the same window of safari and another program I would probably be ok with it.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

-- Nathan

I would have thought so, but that is years overdue. With the amount of time and money invested in the rMB, and the current overlaps in the laptop lineup, it would be surprising (to me at least) if Apple did not discontinue the MBA after they have had a year to iron out supply problems and learn whatever design and engineering lessons need to be learned from the gen 1 rMB.

atechsnob

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2015
----

IMO I really think you probably didn't get the right Macbook for your needs. The rMB is significantly more portable than the MBA, but you don't seem to have mentioned it at all in your evaluation. I'd strongly recommend (if I haven't enough already :D) getting the rMBP. If it was the only computing device I'd own, I would never just get the rMB, because it just doesn't have the horsepower, especially for the serious professional. At least pair it with an iMac, if not an rMBP.

Bottom line: If it's your only machine, and you use it professionally, don't get the rMB. Get a rMBP.

I agree totally. I got the rMB to pair with my rMBP 15 mid 2014 and it's the perfect combo for me. I'll definitely be getting rid of my 13 inch 2013 MBA now. One reason I didn't get an iMac was I already had a Thunderbolt display so I just went for the high end 15 rMbp it's it's been great! :cool:

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I looked at you are example video and the only thing I could notice is that after clicking it took some time before you see the result. I that the problem you are talking about ?

No, I mean the clunky animation and wildly fluctuating frame rate. This is a very widely documented issue - I'm not breaking any news here. :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I looked at you are example video and the only thing I could notice is that after clicking it took some time before you see the result. I that the problem you are talking about ?

If you do not notice the horrific UI lag in the video then you have nothing to worry about.

JKNorth

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010

Exactly. Definitely not a horsepower issue. I have a nMP and it has the same lag running a 4K monitor, but it has zero lag on a TB display. But I'm not going back to the fuzzy TB display just to avoid the lag. It's a trade off.

I'm willing to make a similar trade off for my mobile machine. I've got a 13" MBPr and for a while I've been wanting to switch to the the thin and light form of an MBA but I just couldn't tolerate that screen. I'll gladly trade a little lag to not have to use an MBA display. Especially since I can't expect its mobile processor setup to be lag free if my nMP isn't.

My rMB arrives Wednesday. I'm hoping it's what I'm looking for.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

You cant see the dropped frames in that video?! I don't even know how some people cant see it, its really bad for me. Its reminds me of logging into a machine via VNC over a network, just horrible.

JKNorth

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
Bit of an aside: I love MacRumours. Such good learning. I never would have thought to experiment with the lag and transparency. (Never went looking either, just chalked it up to life with 4K.)

Reducing transparency completely fixed the lag for me on my nMP and the 4K monitor. And when I tested it in more detail, it was only a problem with Mission Control not being as smooth as it could be anyway. Nothing like the minimizing and expanding windows in that video.

Ultimately I turned the transparency back on. Again, trade offs. I don't dislike Mission Control being herky jerky as much as I like the transparency.

My rMB is now in North America and getting closer. I'll be able to test it out there soon!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Bit of an aside: I love MacRumours. Such good learning. I never would have thought to experiment with the lag and transparency. (Never went looking either, just chalked it up to life with 4K.)

Reducing transparency completely fixed the lag for me on my nMP and the 4K monitor. And when I tested it in more detail, it was only a problem with Mission Control not being as smooth as it could be anyway. Nothing like the minimizing and expanding windows in that video.

Ultimately I turned the transparency back on. Again, trade offs. I don't dislike Mission Control being herky jerky as much as I like the transparency.

My rMB is now in North America and getting closer. I'll be able to test it out there soon!

It's funny how much personal preferences vary. Personally, I dislike both transparency and Mission Control, so I never use them, and never notice issues that either create. :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's funny how much personal preferences vary. Personally, I dislike both transparency and Mission Control, so I never use them, and never notice issues that either create. :)

I could not live without mission control haha. I am always 3 finger swiping up, even when I really do not have to. It has become an OCD thing I do.

JKNorth

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010

For sure. Everyone has different use cases and preferences so we all develop our own workflows. Kudos to Apple to creating a number of different ways to accomplish the same tasks so that we have the luxury of that flexibility!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
For sure. Everyone has different use cases and preferences so we all develop our own workflows. Kudos to Apple to creating a number of different ways to accomplish the same tasks so that we have the luxury of that flexibility!

exactly. When I am using windows I always have to be on the highest resolution with 4 or 5 windowed applications. On a mac I can use resolution that is more "eye friendly" and just uses spaces. Alt-tabbing is not a comparison.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
You cant see the dropped frames in that video?! I don't even know how some people cant see it, its really bad for me. Its reminds me of logging into a machine via VNC over a network, just horrible.

Again, the average user doesn't sit there opening and minimizing windows that fast, scrolling like a mad man and banging away on the MC key. Thats someone trying to create a problem and what he's doing is not in any way normal usage. Even then, most people aren't going to go crying and returning a MacBook because there is a split second animation lag while minimizing a window or pressing the MC key. Some people are too funny.

Queen6

macrumors G4
When I first tried the MacBook on 10.10.2 it was fairly easy to induce lag, today visiting the local Apple Store the MacBook`s on display had been updated to 10.10.3 with all additional software installed. I found the MacBook to be very fluid with no noticeable lag even with multiple Space`s and fullscreen application`s running. I dare say that you could force the system to lag, equally that can be said for any OS X hardware, nor does chasing such matters make any sense. I would have liked to have spent more time with it, equally 10.10.3 looks to be a great improvement.

Only downside no Store stock until 24th

Q-6

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Oh, great. All those thing you mention don't concern me. (I just bought one :eek: , I was worried it was something that would bug me).

But I can see all those things as potential issues. I have a (really nice) Quad MBPr 15", so i'm good in that dept. The only thing that might cause a problem is the Magisafe. This thing may indeed become airborne at one point if i'm not careful.

I'm just buying this for light tasks and cool factor. I'm thinkin I can milk this thing for cool factor for a decent stretch. Expensive though. Probably 30 bucks per Whoa!. Inflation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.