Returning rMBP with minor IR

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Siked, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Siked, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's IR?

Is there any problems with your rMBP other then IR?

If you can only see this IR using a special checkerboard test, why return it?

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

They will probably swap it just on your word alone, since it is within 14 days. But there is no assurance that you will get a samsung display. It's luck of the draw.

4. kevinsa, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

kevinsa macrumors newbie

5. jasonx2 macrumors member

Return one in order to get a Samsung display? Ridiculous

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

There's lots of people whose LG screens look great, and some with Samsung screens that have problems. People just keep propagating the myth that all LG screens are defective, so others go in looking for problems. I really am curious...if the problem only shows up when you do something specific that you never do in day-to-day usage, why return it? Are you afraid the problem will get worse later? If you start noticing it in your day-to-day usage, why not take it in at that point?

7. Queen6, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Image Retention, right now off the back of a poll on the forum you have an 80% chance of getting a good rMBP.

As for Samsung versus LG both have positive and negative and you will stand just as much chance of a bad Samsung as LG, or alternatively you can follow a few in the "my screen is better than your screen" debacle.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Gotcha thanks :)

Since the OP doesn't seem to have an issue, unless he runs a specific test, I'd recommend not going through the hassle. That is he's not noticing a problem under normal usage.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

This.

Seems now people just immediately reject the LG.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Exactly: When the Late 2011 Air was launched there was literally a frenzy over the display, due to there being two venders LG Phillips & Samsung. Some were even posting here on MacRumors how they could return their new Air with an LG display, before the machine had even arrived. Ironically when AnandTech reviewed the display`s they recommended the LG by a hair surprise, surprise the hysteria evaporated instantly. If by any means LG display`s are inferior to Samsung`s Apple would never use them in the first place.

If one vender`s quality was significantly inferior to the others, Apple would simply instruct them to fix it, or they would be up for replacement. Without knowing production numbers it`s not possible to exactly quantify, however i would suggest the primary reason you see more post regarding LG display`s is that LG is supplying the majority of display`s. I simply base this assumption on common sense if there was a quality issue with LG, Apple doesn't strike me as having a great deal of tolerance in such matters, especially with their "flagship" portable which very much has to succeed.

AnandTech`s review has nothing other than praise for Apple and LG for bringing this display to market, the Samsung is equally a superb display, it`s also likely that many whom are generating these rumours don't even own the hardware. If during your normal workflow you observe no issue, there is no issue, point being if you want to make something fail you can by doing tests out with normal usage

As a community don't allow baseless posts to sway your decisions on returning perfectly good systems in the hope of some visual nirvana. If your display has issue Apple will fix it or replace the machine, however if you are in false hope of receiving a superior display by getting a system with a differing vender, you are only wasting your time along with many others and risk actually receiving a defective system.

As the individual you must filter the content of the internet very carefully, everyone is a "Pro", everyone the "expert", for the most part they are not, some are well informed, the majority are not. If you need help to make a significant purchase, or qualification on hardware, wait for a recognised source, not the kid with 10 minutes hands on in Best Buy ;)

----------

Plain and simple you have no issue, unless your normal daily usage requires you to sit and stare at checkerboards while switching to a specific shade of grey all day. Such tests are not indicative of normal use and should as such be taken with a "pinch of salt" what will you do if the replacement is worse, has dead pixels, light bleed, uneven coloration and heaven forbid it be another LG. See what a can of worms the rumour mongers open...

----------

Same nonsense as the Late 2011 Air`s and no doubt in time a reputable source will do a comparison and likely state that both panels are only subtly different...

11. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It's true that some people have had problems with their displays. I don't deny that in any way. But if you have to put your computer through some weird test that in no way reflects the way you would normally use it in order to show a defect...I'm just not sure what the point is. I understand looking carefully to see if there's any problems during your normal usage...that totally makes sense. But you're searching for a problem and then finding one in a way that won't effect how you use the computer...that seems really strange to me.

If you want to return it, go ahead. But remember that the next one you get might have a tinted screen, or much more pronounced image retention where it shows up during normal usage, or any one of a hundred other problems. Is it worth it? I don't want people to keep computers that have legitimate problems, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

12. Siked thread starter Guest

Well, in case it gets worse. Perhaps Im going crazy though? :p

13. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You can do a check test (display a full screen checkerboard for about 20 mins then look at a gray screen to see if it retains any image) if you are completely anal about your computer being 100% perfect under all conditions. But some people have had it MUCH worse and have extreme image retention under normal use (open finder to launch a movie and still see finder for several minutes after movie starts). It seems to be mainly the LG displays that are having these problems tho.

14. Siked thread starter Guest

Thanks for all the replies, it sounds kinda crazy now.

As most people have said, unless I see the IR with daily usage I wont return it.

15. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I get that some people have it under normal usage, and in those cases, returning it is completely understandable. But people are now going looking for IR, to see if it shows up under this one test which in no way mimics what they will actually be using the computer for. It's a bit of paranoia, I think. And the people complaining about IR here on MacRumors seem to have it with LG screens, but there's also tons of people with LG screens and no problems at all.

There was one thread a few days ago in which it was suggested that everyone with an LG screen must be affected by IR, and those that weren't just weren't looking hard enough for it. That's ridiculous. Things like this become a witch hunt of sorts, where people return computers simply because they have an LG screen, regardless of whether or not there's an actual problem. Those kinds of behaviors are silly. And just because someone gets a Samsung screen, it in no way guarantees that there won't be problems. People just need to relax...test the computer out as you would normally use it. If there's something that prevents you from using it the way you need to, return it. If not, keep it and try to actually enjoy it.

16. dailybibliotaph macrumors member

To the original poster:

I wouldn't follow the advice you're getting here to keep the rMBP simply because it doesn't interfere with its operation (at least for now). I also have a rMBP - with no IR problem but I did have to do an exchange for the bottom case alignment problem.

How do people that offer the advice of keeping it know for certain that a screen manufactured with IR at inception won't develop a stronger IR over time with more usage? Do screens that exhibit IR have the same gamut, colorspace and luminance as non-defective screens? Unless you will back up your answer with a contract to buy the guy a new rMBP I wouldn't be so fast to tell him everything is ok.

Just my 2 cents.

17. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

I believe what gives new owners additional pressure is that we only have 14 days to do a straight swap, return for whatever reason. Let's say the problem finally arises under normal use on the 16th day, we have no choice but to have the system repaired initially. We have paid a premium price for these systems and I don't find it acceptable to have it repaired in such a short time of ownership. I understand why people are trying so hard to find any defects within the exchange/return period, in a way.

18. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

It is your money, don't let any stranger tell you what to do with your money... Just follow your intuition... For a $3-$4k, I would expect miss perfection... ;)

19. tooony macrumors newbie

20. brentsg macrumors 68040

My Samsung LCD had issues so I certainly wouldn't dismiss an LG screen just because it's LG.

21. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

And the point is? There's always going to be slight differences between manufacturers. It doesn't necessarily make one better than the other. When it comes to displays, personal preference is huge.

22. eeptman macrumors member

1.) No appointment needed. Just go to the store and ask any employee for assistance.
    2.) It should not be hard to make this decision. You are guaranteed to get your cash back within 14 days. Otherwise, you are stuck with Apple gift card or playing the lottery game.

You probably wouldn't notice that no one here, even Apple, is able to give you any guarantee at the meantime. Return your machine is a smart choice.

23. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

I would be careful with this. I never noticed any IR with my rMBP for the first three weeks of use. Then tonight (happens to be exactly three weeks since purchase), not doing any special tests or anything, I closed a window, but could still clearly see the outline of the window, the address fields (it was an email) and even some of the text. I had been using the default ML galaxy wallpaper. I was shocked, as I had heard others having this problem, but hadn't encountered it. Now I'm seeing it constantly. I've made an appointment for a phone call with Apple Care tomorrow morning, but I'm very concerned. I hope I'm not stuck with a display that's acting this bad because I'm just outside the two week window.

In short, the problem might get worse, and get to where you notice it under even very normal usage.

:(

24. tenshu2k macrumors member

I wouldn't rely on the grey screen test as a good metric of whether or not you have an IR problem.

If you notice it, in normal usage, I think there is a valid concern.

I had IR problems in addition to some more significant rattling issues with my first rMBP. Got my replacement in recently, and the screen is actually worse (Red tinted side).

Definitely need to replace mine, but, if you just have a small IR problem, I'm not sure you'll have better luck with your replacement.

25. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Stop it. All of you, just stop. it. Just use your Macs like you're supposed to and stop Sherlocking for problems! You're all being so anal I'm surprised you can't taste your own crap by now.