Returning SG2 for 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gmhag, Oct 14, 2011.

1. gmhag macrumors regular

I just got the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 last week. I am seriously thinking of returning it and getting the 4S. Reason: I have a macbook pro, AppleTV, ipods, ipad and i think it will just fit into my life a little more seamlessly. It's nice to have options for chargers and docks and cases in comparison to the GS2. Not to mention i already have an iphone charger in every room of my house, i'd have to spend a small fortune in Samsung chargers to keep this thing powered up.

One of my main questions is about network speed on AT&T My GS2 is running on HSPA+ and if i am correct i dont think the 4s does. I know the manual says the 4s is capable of reaching 14mbps while the GS2 can hit 21 theoretically right? I live in Atlanta and have been averaging between 2mbps and 5mbps on the GS2 while it says "H+". Will the 4S always be slower since it is not running on HSPA+ like the GS2 or will they be more similar speeds since neither is being maxed out? I hope i relayed this question in a way that it makes sense.

Thanks

2. Dunbar macrumors 6502

Android phones use micro USB to charge the phone so you wouldn't need to spend a small fortune. Check ebay, you can probably pick up a few cables for under $20. The 4S should get identical network speeds as the GS2 since they are both HSPA+. Theoretical max speeds don't make a difference until the network speeds get that high.

3. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I am thinking about doing this same thing, except i have the international version. I LOVE Android. There's just something about this iPhone that is making me want it. Maybe because it's new, maybe because it's more like android than ever before. I'm not sure.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

This made me chuckle.

5. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Keep the S2. I am. Its a much better phone and does everything that the new Iphone does and more. Plus the screen is perfect IMHO.

Look at Kies from samsung and the doubletwist app and player. It sinks all of your mac stuff seamlessly.

6. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm an idiot when it comes to tech conversions and such and air sync for double twist is about as easy as it comes.

8. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

4s is faster, both CPU and gpu! Siri is way cool! Best camera! iCloud between apple devices! ;)

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It definitely would!

10. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Barely. It doesn't make your call any faster. It wont play your music file any faster OR your video. You get a few more FPS on your game....

....I would like the seamless integration that I would have if I bought an iPhone...and the accessories...

11. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I'm doing the same thing. I actually returned my Epic 4G Touch and will be reactivating my iPhone 4 until my upgrade next month. The Galaxy is SO GREAT, but it's just not for me I guess.

12. ripper998 macrumors regular

like carriers, not one phone fits everyones lifestyle. I prefer the ease of use of the iphone and not needing to turn a ton of things off. Plus it is super easy to use with few problems with apps. Android required a bit more attention but that comes with being full customizable.

13. djarpit macrumors regular

i bought mine yesterday. the device is great. but the damn battery is dying on me right and left and not charging fast enough. Though i am starting to fall in love with the phone. I cant seem to decide... if i wanna go the 4s route i would have to wait until they are available and i only have 30 days to return it.......

anyone else having battery problems?

14. Dunbar macrumors 6502

You would probably want to visit one of the many Android forums. The GS2 is supposed to have a very good battery life, as good as the IP4 with the same usage pattern. Samsung for some reason made it slow to charge.

15. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

With a 4.3" Super AMOLED+ screen, I very much doubt that the Galaxy S II will have better battery life than the iphone.

No offense to iphone users, but some of the reasons that the battery life on the iphone4 is so good is:
    1. Smaller screen
    2. Dimmer screen
    3. No true multi-tasking

Not sure that Android will be able to match this without removing features.

16. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I have the SG2 and the iPhone 4s. No comparison. My SG2 will be getting little if any use now.

----------

No true multitasking? I guess Im not listening to music as I write this post.

17. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Return it for the iPhone 4S.

That way your life is easier. Everything will just work.
    It will all be synched.
    :)

18. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Go into settings/accounts and sinc/ and uncheck the "background data" field. That should fix it.

----------

I'll give you $20 for it.

19. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

The iPhone has a significantly brighter display than the GSII. Almost 500 nits.

20. Centient macrumors 6502

I wonder why Samsung took so long to release the S2 here in the States? They could have owned the Summer and done well into the Fall if they'd released in June/July.

Now they're caught between the 4S and upcoming Nexus Prime with ICS. For all the good press the S2 it really seems like Samsung blew a real opportunity here.

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

With the SGSII? Battery takes a few charge cycles. When I first got it it was bad, by the 3rd day I was impressed.