Returning the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BuxtonUK, Nov 11, 2007.

1. BuxtonUK macrumors member

So it's come to this, not even 2 days and I'm returning the phone.

Love the phone despite it's many flaws but the tariff is just rape whichever way you look at it.

500 text messages is by no stretch enough for me, add another 1,000 on there and we're talking, but in the meantime I'd be getting charged;

12p x 1,000 = £120, frankly I'm just not in the mood to be arse raped over a mobile phone just yet.

I'm sending this back, waiting until 1.1.2 is able to accept any simcard and activation process then I'll be getting the phone again, but until such time I'll be sticking with my old Sony Ericsson.

Incidently, was on the train today and was sat next to some random guy, I got my iPhone out, he said "Dude.." and out came his iPhone, guess it is quite popular.

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

You knew before you bought it that there would only be 500 texts so why the hell did you buy one ??

3. BuxtonUK thread starter macrumors member

To see if I could indeed stick to within 500 text messages, was clearly delluding myself into thinking it would be possible, but frankly it's not so right now there's no point in having the phone.

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

You must have known if you use 1500 messages normally, that you definitely cannot live with just 500. If it was 1200 instead of 1500 then maybe, but I think you've got a hump for whatever reason and just want to put people off the iPhone.

5. BuxtonUK thread starter macrumors member

hahaha, stop psycho-analysing my post, I've been an advocate of the iPhone since the beginning and couldn't wait to get my hands on it, I got one, love it, been playing with it non-stop since I got it and haven't put it down.

I've got the hump about the tariffs available sure, but when other tariffs offer you unlimited text messages for a much cheaper price it makes you wonder whether you should lock yourself into 18 months of paying over the odds.

Yes you're getting unlimited data but to be honest I've had EDGE access once for 10 minutes then it was back to GPRS, Wi-Fi is excellent on the Phone if you can get it but with regards to the cloud network, I'd actually be going out of my way to go and use it.

Get me a tariff with unlimited texts, a few minutes and I'm sorted.

6. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Thats Fine, I looked at my current usage and got a tarriff that would cater for my usage, I knew the costs before I bought it. Was purchasing the phone a spare of the moment thing? I spoke to people in the queue and most didn't know how much the tarriffs were! Madness

7. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Good luck getting that on iPhone (without unlocking). When you do, let me know! I agree that the tariffs are useless, but theres nothing we can do but vote with our wallets. However 500 texts is just plenty for me.

8. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    It sounds like this is not at ALL about "Returning the iPhone" for anything specific to the iPhone, anymore than its that the carrier's rates on unacceptable with regards to certain types of usage. That being the case, I'd be interested in hearing MORE about that disparity, given the exclusive relationship. Here in America, the only other GSM carrier is T-Mobile, and they only got unlimited Internet relatively recently, and have rates that are somewhat comparable (better or worse).

In the U.S., here are our rate plans:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

So, O2 is the U.K. carrier, and here's their respective iPhone rates:
    http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

500 texts for the base £45.

Here in the U.S., AT&T let's you up to "Unlimited" messages for $20, and 1500 texts if you add $15. I'm perfectly fine with 200. How much more does O2 charge you for upgrading your messages? What is the carrier your Sony Ericcson is on? What sort of deal do they give you on text messaging?

Usually, I've found SmartPhones get screwed over more than normal feature phones, like the Walkman series.

~ CB

9. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Messaging bolt ons are as follows
    Pay Monthly Price per text* Cost per month
    1000 messages 3p each £30 month
    400 messages 4p each £16 month
    200 messages 5p each £9 month
    100 messages 5p each £5 month
    50 messages 6p each £3 month

BUT i dont know if these apply to iPhone, there just standard o2 plans. Which would mean the OP would have to pay another 30 per month. All uk carriers can theortically run the iPhone (except 3, since they only provide 3G simcards) and Orange can offer unlimited texts for £35, so o2s pricing is unbelivable. My point is that the OP was fully aware of the tariffs available, yet he/she still bought an iPhone

EDIT you can add bolt on texts for iPhone
    Add additional SMS to your iPhone tariff

100 Messages 200 Messages 400 Messages 1000 Messages
    £5.00 per month £9.00 per month £16.00 per month £30.00 per month
    http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/boltons

10. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Actually, I believe the iPhone can accept a 3G sim type sim card. I'd read something about the included sim card BEING a 3G sim... its just not a 3G phone (presumably Apple will want people to upgrade to the next iPhone and bring their SIM over).
    So, is O2 really the worst, though on rates? I tend to think you can't judge leading companies by the deals being cut by those who need to convince customers to switch to their service. For a while, the online rental service Netflix cost more than Blockbuster Online, when Blockbuster wanted to encourage new business... now Blockbuster has raised its rates for new customers so that they're charging the same.

I agree though, that if someone is switching carriers and doesn't ask around and find out the costs, it seems odd to even create a thread about a change of heart, given the facts.

~ CB

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

yeah I can understand where you're coming. The lump of the tariffs is just that intsy bitsy hard to swallow. If the minutes/text rolled over then it would have been ok because then you could build up during months of minimal useage

The tying down to one carrier can make living with an iPhone a tad more difficult. I just can't sign the contract for what you get. Cloud or no cloud

Edit: As for the OP getting an iPhone when he new the facts.... I guess he wanted an iPhone badly and was hoping he could compromise 1000 texts. Unfortunately/fortunately practicallity won in the end

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I don't understand why you bought it to begin with......you knew what the price would be.....

13. designaholic macrumors regular

designaholic

I agree with you mate, considering returning myself. Just checked my online (forthcoming) bill for O2 - £36.13. I am a little confused as to why an extra £1.13 has been added? Admittedly it's not alot, but that's not the point.

Seemingly O2 are not very transparent when it comes to money. Nowhere on the Apple UK iPhone site or O2 does it give rates for ongoing charges for overspent minutes and texts. Tracking how much talktime / text usage has been spent is inaccurate and frankly crap. The ability to check used talktime / texts is difficult with the actual iPhone too, as it logs incoming/outgoing in one go (probably down to the US tariff system). It all boils down to a greater risk of overspending and receiving inflated bills each month.

The only thing that makes me think about staying with this *awful* deal is the hassle and time consuming process of the on-going unlocking saga–you have to ask yourself "Can I be arsed?".

The jury is out for me right now. I am waiting to see what happens with the fantastic iPhone dev community this week, I have 12 days left to return the unit and cancel the contract.

btw. I find the limited EDGE coverage and crap signal strength of O2 another major factor in my overall decision.

14. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

15. happyadam macrumors newbie

The billing period must start on Saturday so you're paying an extra day's rental. There's a details link on the o2 billing page that shows this broken down.

16. designaholic macrumors regular

designaholic

Ah right…even though I didn't activate my iPhone until Saturday afternoon?

17. BuxtonUK thread starter macrumors member

With regards to those who are talking about the bolt-ons, yes I'm aware of them but realistically I'd be paying a minimum of £65 a month for 1,200 messages and 200 minutes.

All other o2 tariffs over £35 a month offer unlimited text messages which is ideally what I'd like but like afore mentioned without the sim unlocking process right now that's impossible.
    And yes I knew exactly how much the tariff would be and how many texts it included but after two days use I've found myself not replying to people merely to save on the inclusive text messages which is utterly stupid, I prefer to be in the situation where I can text and not have to think about cost.

I don't feel I should be lambaste because of my want to get an iPhone, we're all entitled to our 14 day grace period, isn't it better deciding to return it rather than spending the next 18 months tied to contract I can't escape without paying the Early Termination Fee.

As soon as 1.1.2 is cracked and activation can take place, I'll be buying another one and keeping it on a much simpler tariff that suits my needs, not o2 and Apples.

18. sparkyms macrumors 65816

whatever day you activate it you pay line rental for that day then the next month starts the day after.

It's because Mobile Providers generally bill in advance. and they can make up a little for the one day on which you activate.

19. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

As I've said in threads before, personally I think i've got the best deal EVER!

fully unlocked iPhone (1.0.2) - had it 2 months before everyone else on my amazing contract:

£20 a month - 1000 anytime/any network minutes, UNLIMITED TEXTS and UNLIMTED EDGE/GPRS!

Can you beat this?

20. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Odd. If you're getting 500 texts (as you first said above), that is the £45/month plan that comes with 600 minutes. If you look at the O2 bolt on options, you would get 1000 additional texts for £30.00 in addition. So £45 + £30 would be £75 for 1500 text messages with 600 minutes. NOT 1200 text messages, and 200 minutes. If you instead do the £16 bolt-on, this would cost you £45 + £16, which would be £61/month for 900 text messages (adding the 400 new texts) and 600 minutes.

Just FYI, so we're all on the same page.
    So, O2 is charging a higher monthly fee for the iPhone, than it does other smart phones? Or are these "unlimited" tarriffs for lower-end "feature phones" like the Sony Ericsson Walkman/others (or both)? It'd be interesting to me if O2 was surcharging iPhone owners over their current rates. I'd suspect though, that this might be more in-keeping with what they charge Blackberry and/or Windows Mobile equipped phones. Is your Sony Ericcson running Windows Mobile?

I would hesitate to declare Apple has any responsibility with regards to the rates O2 charges, unless that bears out somehow from the facts. If all of O2's phone rates are consistant irregardless of the phone, and the iPhone is a distinct exception, it would be a useful factoid in that direction.
    Beating it isn't really useful to anyone. Much better would be if you told everyone how you got it. If someone can do better, they'd quickly say so. Otherwise, its kind of pointless.

~ CB

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Exactly.....we're not comparing sizes here. There are other forums out therefor that.

22. BuxtonUK thread starter macrumors member

I said minimum of in the sense I could drop my tariff to £35 a month and then add 1,000 text messages making it a minimum of £65 a month on choice of tariffs.

o2 are charging these tariffs for iPhones only, you can get a Blackberry, XDA, any other phone from Free - £19.99 on a £35 a month online tariff with 600 minutes, unlimited text messages, free voicemail and cheaper ITS.
    So basically all we're getting out of the deal is access to The Cloud, 30% EDGE network coverage and less minutes and less text messages.

So no, this isn't in keeping with their other higher end products, the most expensive phone was an N95 with 8GB Mem card and that was only £19.99..

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/18_months/Texter

Go check out what can be had on other tariffs and with what devices.

23. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

What, so you know you use 1000+ a month and you were unable to work out in your head that 500 wouldn't be enough!? I'm not being funny but any human being with half a brain cell would have been able to work out without having to put it into practice that over 500 less texts a month is just not going to cut it!

Again why did you need to trial it? Would have been smarter to trial it on your old contract.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Mod's note: I've had to do some cleaning up in here... please stick to the topic. Any further flamebaiting, trolling and insults will be dealt with accordingly. I thank you for your cooperation.

25. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I don't think it matters that much. If you an configure "smarter" you should configure smarter. Using "bolt-ons" instead of simply upgrading the tariff, when the latter is cheaper, would BE the way to do it, if such is true.
    Got it... its not SIMPLY because its the iPhone, but because the iPhone requires the iPhone combination plan, which includes stuff that you don't feel you need (unlimited EDGE data access to their large WiFi network). Got it.

This is different than saying that its simply because of the device alone. That clears it up I think. If you told me that there was absolutely NO difference in the service and it cost more just to have the iPhone, I'd be surprised. People here in the states have made the same complaints about the required data services, etc. The TRICK would be... similar to the issue with tariffs and bolt-on services... if you can cancel the data plan, or find another way around it. Given how the phone operates however, I can understand why Apple is reticent to allow people to opt out of an "always connected" model (connected when available that is).

You probably don't want to bring up things like getting the other phone cheaper. That's a whole other ball of wax that is pretty much meaningless if you don't want those other phones in the first place. Looking at the website you point to, it says that the Blackberry listed can ONLY browse WAP websites and the O2 Moble Web, but that these aren't even included in the "Unlimited data", and charge users £1 per MB. Maybe you're not looking at all the details? From what I've heard O2 has publically denied that there is a limit from iPhone data service over EDGE, but with the Blackberry you mention, its not even a "real" Internet browser. Seems like a "get what you pay for" type deal.

~ CB