Returning Time Capsule...(Security?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by modit, Aug 8, 2011.

1. modit macrumors 6502

I returning a 2GB Time Capsule so I erased it twice with a single pass. The problem is that the disk still shows 305 MB being used.

Is there anything I need to do such as clearing settings before sending it back?

Thanks!

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

That's really one pass more than necessary, but OK... If you overwrite something on a modern harddrive, it's as good as gone due to the minuscule magnetic domains used these days. You might be able to get the data out of there even after a re-write by using a SQUID, but hell, who's gonna bother? :p

More than likely, that's just file system/journaling housekeeping data showing up there. If you've gone through the erase procedure, all actual files should be wiped. You could start the time machine software to verify, if there's nothing showing up then you should be OK.

If you're concerned you might want to wipe your Wifi settings, but more than likely nobody on the receiving end of that time capsule could care one iota less about your stuff, and they'll just wipe your unit squeaky clean for you yet again along with all user settings without bothering to look at what's on there and stick it in the "refurbished" pile to send out to someone else... This stuff isn't that interesting after all.

When I was returning a system to Dell a couple years ago due to hardware issues I told the support agent what programs to start to cause the machine to fail, but was told they'd just format the drives after receiving it. They were contractually, possibly legally obliged to do that, for privacy reasons.

So I wouldn't worry...too much, anyway. :)