Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Just chiming in since I'm one of the few with a HTC U11. Battery life is actually superb. I constantly get 5 hours SOT with one or no bars of service at work.

I love stock Android and HTC skin is pretty much stock. Never had any lag issues...been about 4 months of ownership now.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Just chiming in since I'm one of the few with a HTC U11. Battery life is actually superb. I constantly get 5 hours SOT with one or no bars of service at work.

I love stock Android and HTC skin is pretty much stock. Never had any lack issues...been about 4 months of ownership now.

I love the U11. The one phone I never owned which im sad I didn't!

Reactions: Blaze4G

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I love the U11. The one phone I never owned which im sad I didn't!
The only thing that I haven't liked is the front facing camera compared to what I upgraded from (nexus 6p). But after a recent update the camera got noticeably better.

One feature I love and wouldn't want to go without it is the squeeze functionality. Honestly thought it wasn't anything special and a bit gimmicky. However, there is no easier shortcut that I've come across.

Reactions: Aneres11

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
The only thing that I haven't liked is the front facing camera compared to what I upgraded from (nexus 6p). But after a recent update the camera got noticeably better.

One feature I love and wouldn't want to go without it is the squeeze functionality. Honestly thought it wasn't anything special and a bit gimmicky. However, there is no easier shortcut that I've come across.
Not meant to be rude, how was your experience with Nexus 6P any bootleg problem or battery shut down ? I am about to get hold of an Nexus 6P as a backup.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Not meant to be rude, how was your experience with Nexus 6P any bootleg problem or battery shut down ? I am about to get hold of an Nexus 6P as a backup.
What do you mean about not meant to be rude? Don't see any rudeness at all haha. I had the shutdown issue. I still have it and it needs a battery. I still love that phone though. I prefer the front facing speakers much more than the dual speakers on the HTC where 1 is bottom firing. The screen imo is better on 6p than my u11. I guess because it's oled.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
I think you have to expect that neither platform is perfect and can't be both or take all the advantages of 1 and not have any shortcomings. I realized this week after switching to the Note 8, all the nice Apple features but once you switch back to Apple, you'll miss all the Android features. I do switch out my phones a lot too (by that I mean update to the latest and greatest- in the past have been the iPhones) lol but I am sticking to the note 8 for a while because it has all the features that I want. However, it is not perfect and has it's shortcoming for sure that is something we just have to deal with.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I think you have to expect that neither platform is perfect and can't be both or take all the advantages of 1 and not have any shortcomings. I realized this week after switching to the Note 8, all the nice Apple features but once you switch back to Apple, you'll miss all the Android features. I do switch out my phones a lot too (by that I mean update to the latest and greatest- in the past have been the iPhones) lol but I am sticking to the note 8 for a while because it has all the features that I want. However, it is not perfect and has it's shortcoming for sure that is something we just have to deal with.

That's my exact problem. If you gave me the option to choose, it comes down to valuing software vs hardware. I think software is more important to me now a days because hardware differences are becoming more negligible.

I know an A11 processor w/ 3gb RAM will work as well for me as a 835 processor w/4gb RAM. My ideal phone would have an OLED screen, an awesome camera, minimal bezels w/ high resolution, quick charging, some form of USB Type C, wireless charging, facial recognition, NFC payments, water resistance, 64gb + internal storage, Band 66 LTE.

I like iOS' continuity, iMessage, FaceTime, fast updates, years of support, watchOS, faster app updates. Android's features are much better (PIP, multi-window), Google is hardware agnostic, the file system is better, customization is great, ringtones are easier to change, SD card support exists, stronger hardware.

Android annoys me with more inconsistencies because some OEMs don't offer timely updates or fast security patches, Google updates its apps faster on iOS, too many messaging apps and nothing like iMessage available, you cannot reply to texts from the lock screen without unlocking the device, standby battery life isn't as good as iOS.

iOS has its issues since iOS 11 is buggy, iOS 12 will be like Snowleopard instead of adding new much needed UI changes and multi-tasking features, it's the same UI since iOS 7, the notification system is clunky, no predictive dialing, no Night Mode, no AOD, no theming, the file system is eh, an over-reliance on iTunes, etc.

With what I want, I have to wait for the best deal possible w/ an S9+ trade in deal, Pixel 2 XL or Pixel 3/3XL deal, iPhone X 2017 or iPhone 2018 trade up promo.

T-Mobile will probably have a deal around Black Friday for the S9+ or iPhone X. I wouldn't mind a trade up deal where they give me half the iPhone 2018 LCD model off with a trade in of the 8+. T-Mobile always gives 50% back in a prepaid MasterCard for those buying Pixels each year.

I think waiting is my best bet because Apple shows off iOS 12 at WWDC, Google I/O after that, iPhone 2018 unveilings + 2017 clearance, Pixel 3/3XL unveiling, then Black-Friday. Plenty of time.

Samsung could easily win me over with clean software, strong reviews, and no major issues. However, the recent reddit post sharing Pixel 2's Oreo vs S8 Oreo is alarming because the heat map test flared up for Samsung and was minimal for the Pixel 2. People will say the smoothest experience will always be pure Android. Plus pure Android will have the latest updates and most optimized performance.

Reactions: ackmondual

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Sounds like you have not really accepted the fact that you can't have your cake and eat it too. However, that is most of us who want the latest and greatest tend to think. I stuck with the iPhone- iOS for quite a while updating from iPhone 5-7. With the Note 8, it is still not perfect but I think I accepted it because it has the S Pen and I really like that feature. I think my philosophy is more open, I realize there is beauty in Apple's simplicity but it feels restricting for me. Basically, you have to live with the decision you make and I think I want to make that decision with the Note and just live with it until it does not work anymore. However, I do hope Samsung come out with a Pink phone like Apple with the Rose Gold color, I simply must have everything match. LOL.

Reactions: IowaLynn

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
That's my exact problem. If you gave me the option to choose, it comes down to valuing software vs hardware. I think software is more important to me now a days because hardware differences are becoming more negligible.

I know an A11 processor w/ 3gb RAM will work as well for me as a 835 processor w/4gb RAM. My ideal phone would have an OLED screen, an awesome camera, minimal bezels w/ high resolution, quick charging, some form of USB Type C, wireless charging, facial recognition, NFC payments, water resistance, 64gb + internal storage, Band 66 LTE.

I like iOS' continuity, iMessage, FaceTime, fast updates, years of support, watchOS, faster app updates. Android's features are much better (PIP, multi-window), Google is hardware agnostic, the file system is better, customization is great, ringtones are easier to change, SD card support exists, stronger hardware.

Android annoys me with more inconsistencies because some OEMs don't offer timely updates or fast security patches, Google updates its apps faster on iOS, too many messaging apps and nothing like iMessage available, you cannot reply to texts from the lock screen without unlocking the device, standby battery life isn't as good as iOS.

iOS has its issues since iOS 11 is buggy, iOS 12 will be like Snowleopard instead of adding new much needed UI changes and multi-tasking features, it's the same UI since iOS 7, the notification system is clunky, no predictive dialing, no Night Mode, no AOD, no theming, the file system is eh, an over-reliance on iTunes, etc.

With what I want, I have to wait for the best deal possible w/ an S9+ trade in deal, Pixel 2 XL or Pixel 3/3XL deal, iPhone X 2017 or iPhone 2018 trade up promo.

T-Mobile will probably have a deal around Black Friday for the S9+ or iPhone X. I wouldn't mind a trade up deal where they give me half the iPhone 2018 LCD model off with a trade in of the 8+. T-Mobile always gives 50% back in a prepaid MasterCard for those buying Pixels each year.

I think waiting is my best bet because Apple shows off iOS 12 at WWDC, Google I/O after that, iPhone 2018 unveilings + 2017 clearance, Pixel 3/3XL unveiling, then Black-Friday. Plenty of time.

Samsung could easily win me over with clean software, strong reviews, and no major issues. However, the recent reddit post sharing Pixel 2's Oreo vs S8 Oreo is alarming because the heat map test flared up for Samsung and was minimal for the Pixel 2. People will say the smoothest experience will always be pure Android. Plus pure Android will have the latest updates and most optimized performance.

I think you are just over-analyzing too many factors at micro level thus giving you aneurysm.

Just buy the one that you like most that satisfied your usage needs. After all it is unlikely you are going to use the phone for years to come.

Security updates? Pure android? Simplicity?
Good for talking point but ultimately minimal impact on how you typically use your phone.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I think you are just over-analyzing too many factors at micro level thus giving you aneurysm.

Just buy the one that you like most that satisfied your usage needs. After all it is unlikely you are going to use the phone for years to come.

Security updates? Pure android? Simplicity?
Good for talking point but ultimately minimal impact on how you typically use your phone.

I am going to give Pure Android on Moto or a Nexus a try to see if I can deal with a barebones experience.

I love the Galaxy features, but cannot deal with the headache after the honeymoon period. I like iOS' simplicity since it works, but it also is clunky in many aspects (iTunes, lack of basic customization, bad notification system, outdated UI). I think I want to roll with a pure android device because I can get device support, a long warranty (assuming Google keeps 2 year warranties), and strong hardware.

I think the Pixel 3 is my personal choice to wait for because I am not too keen on Samsung fixing its software update policies or optimize stuff further. The carriers and Qualcomm are still too much in the way for that to happen. I don't think iOS 12 will have what I want since Apple had many versions to figure out split-screen multi-tasking. Been waiting for it for quite a bit since the 6S+.
[doublepost=1519268238][/doublepost]
Sounds like you have not really accepted the fact that you can't have your cake and eat it too. However, that is most of us who want the latest and greatest tend to think. I stuck with the iPhone- iOS for quite a while updating from iPhone 5-7. With the Note 8, it is still not perfect but I think I accepted it because it has the S Pen and I really like that feature. I think my philosophy is more open, I realize there is beauty in Apple's simplicity but it feels restricting for me. Basically, you have to live with the decision you make and I think I want to make that decision with the Note and just live with it until it does not work anymore. However, I do hope Samsung come out with a Pink phone like Apple with the Rose Gold color, I simply must have everything match. LOL.

A good case can take care of the color concern. As for getting something and sticking with it; I think the Pixel 3 with an FHD+ or QHD+ 18:9 aspect OLED display, 845 processor, 6gb RAM, Band 66 LTE, dual cameras, 3d facial recognition, better dual stereo speakers, a larger battery capacity along with what makes the Pixel 2 so great will be a fine package for me and will be a great blend between hardware and software.

I feel like Samsung = good hardware and eh software. Apple = decent software, nice hardware. Google = great software and solid hardware.

I don't know if I want to go with LG because they're really struggling with software UI and they have been having hardware issues on the Pixel 2XL P-OLED side. OnePlus 5T is a nice hardware device, but I don't trust OnePlus after the flurry of news with them the last 6-12 months.

Really is Google or Apple for me at this juncture. Samsung better pleasantly surprise me though. If you gave me Galaxy S9+ hardware with pure android, I would buy that instantly.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012

I think you better going with iOS, once you change your mind and say you wanna go back to Android you'll get bored again and prefer iOS.

I'm looking a iPhone too. I go back and forth myself but i end up wanting to go back to iPhone.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
I
A good case can take care of the color concern. As for getting something and sticking with it; I think the Pixel 3 with an FHD+ or QHD+ 18:9 aspect OLED display, 845 processor, 6gb RAM, Band 66 LTE, dual cameras, 3d facial recognition, better dual stereo speakers, a larger battery capacity along with what makes the Pixel 2 so great will be a fine package for me and will be a great blend between hardware and software.

I feel like Samsung = good hardware and eh software. Apple = decent software, nice hardware. Google = great software and solid hardware.

SOUNDS LIKE YOU SHOULD GO WITH PIXEL AND YOU MADE YOUR DECISION.
Personally, I love Samsung's software and I love Bixby haha. She is so helpful- she is like Siri but supercharged with admin permission to do stuff like a regular assistant.

Also, I already purchased some skins and cute glitter cases and a pink stylus for the phone. BUT I still want a pink phone but I am willing to forgo all that for a phone that suits me. The advantage of the skin is that you can switch it out for different design and colors and they look great with a clear / clear glitter case.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
SOUNDS LIKE YOU SHOULD GO WITH PIXEL AND YOU MADE YOUR DECISION.
Personally, I love Samsung's software and I love Bixby haha. She is so helpful- she is like Siri but supercharged with admin permission to do stuff like a regular assistant.

Also, I already purchased some skins and cute glitter cases and a pink stylus for the phone. BUT I still want a pink phone but I am willing to forgo all that for a phone that suits me. The advantage of the skin is that you can switch it out for different design and colors and they look great with a clear / clear glitter case.

Pixel 3/3XL only happen if they make the hardware similar to Samsung and Apple. If it is just a somewhat better Pixel 2/2XL, no purchase from me. I would just go iPhone X 2017 or iPhone 2018.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Pixel 3/3XL only happen if they make the hardware similar to Samsung and Apple. If it is just a somewhat better Pixel 2/2XL, no purchase from me. I would just go iPhone X 2017 or iPhone 2018.

I would wait for the next iPhone X because Apples first design change always have big issues. they always fix it on the next phone with the same design. Also, next year the iPhone X plus will be here too. Also, maybe they will fix the notch but I doubt it lol...

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I would wait for the next iPhone X because Apples first design change always have big issues. they always fix it on the next phone with the same design. Also, next year the iPhone X plus will be here too. Also, maybe they will fix the notch but I doubt it lol...

A $1000 price tag isn’t something I cannot afford.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.