Returning to the Power PC world after leaving Intel...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jethryn Freyman, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

So, the MBP I picked up a month ago, secondhand, finally died for good last night. I'd had intermittent graphics issues, this time a USB port stopped working, the Quartz Extreme, finally it just wouldn't boot past the chime and there'd be no graphics on screen/over DVI.

It was a six year old model, one of those ones with the dodgy GeForce 8600M chips in it. I used to own a brand new one, it took three logic board replacements [and more] for Apple to just give me a whole new computer.

Anyway, back to my G5 tower as the main computer. I for some reason had trouble updating to 10.5.8, had to install initially over Firewire from a half-faulty iMac anyway since the PMG5's optical drive doesn't work. I'd been using it as a server with an 80GB HD to boot from plus a 1TB storage drive with my photos and iTunes library on it.

Anyway, eventually just cloned a 10.5.8 image onto it [after replacing the 80GB boot drive with the 240GB SSD that has been between it and my MBP], tweaked everything how I liked it, and copied over a whole bunch of preference and application support files from my Snow Leopard installation. Needed to reinstall the ATI FireGL X3 drivers from the CD.

Mostly worked, except my iTunes library, which was stored on my 1TB internal drive, wasn't recognized, having been updated to 10.7 by iTunes on Snow Leopard [Leopard only goes up to 10.6.3.] Fortunately iTunes backs them up, so I only lost a month of iTunes stuff, and already had any new music I'd got saved in the iTunes Media folder, so it wasn't too tedious getting it back.

Also damn glad I kept daily bootable full backups, as well as keeping a whole lot of stuff on Dropbox. Firefox 21 app support/prefs copy over and work perfectly with TenFourFox 21.

Issues:

Stripping out Intel or PPC code from applications. This makes it impossible to transfer by dragging from one computer to another, you must reinstall from a fresh copy. Annoying. I think now I'll just stick to stripping out foreign languages.

iTunes library: as stated a few paragraphs above. Still not sure why they went Intel-only with 10.7 rather than 11 in the case of iTunes.

And a few other niggles I can't remember at the moment.

Ah, keychains. Every password is in my login keychain so that poor thing has been copied, pasted, and moved around between half a dozen OS installations in the past 16 hours. Fortunately all my saved Firefox passwords/usernames, which I'd never remember, and were not all in my keychain, were copied over with the preferences/app support.

So yeah. Back to the PowerPC world again.

And a protip: the MacbookPro3,1 with the NVIDIA 8600M GT cards, especially the 128MB models, suck ass. I literally do not know of a single one that has not had the logic board fail due to the manufacturing problems in that GPU.

Not sure if it was fixed with the 9600M GT refresh, but my replacement GT 330M worked fine for the few months I owned it [it disappeared off the face of the planet.]

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

3. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I strongly advise you to get a quad if you want to withstand the coming months, upgrade to 16 gigs of ram and a 7800 gtx etc. you know the drill. Because even my old 2.0ghz dual processor behaves very old especially when editing in final cut pro and it takes 3 days to process a 1 hour 1080p video.

but a quad still feels young when using the right tools and tricks

4. wobegong Guest

A quad still feels young IF you are running an SMP aware application that makes use of all four cores, remember for most tasks (which are not SMP aware - especially in Leopard) it is only 500mhz faster than your machine.

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Man I don't think he's ready to go buy another computer..

A quick look at ebay.com/au show's a broken one for 139 and one for 475...

6. spunkgarLEWII macrumors regular

Hi,

You wrote:

"Stripping out Intel or PPC code from applications. This makes it impossible to transfer by dragging from one computer to another, you must reinstall from a fresh copy. Annoying. I think now I'll just stick to stripping out foreign languages."

Get Monolingual. It will destroy all non-PowerPC code in Leopard all the way down to the core files. I did that and my G4 PowerBook and Quad run Leopard really nice and fast. Monolingual is also very DANGEROUS, so read up on it before you use it.

Thats one way to strip all Intel code from Leopard.

Welcome back, bro!

7. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Yah, those have a reputation, which sadly is entirely deserved. Just Like IBM's Deskstar GXP75 disaster - I've seen a statistic saying they had a half-life of roughly 7 months (for those not versed in half-life ('xcept the game), that means, every 7 months half of those remaining have died).

Anyway, The 8600M -debacle is a sad story for Apple, and I think apple handled it far worse than antennagate. I do not know what deal Apple reached with nVidia, but from the end-user's standpoint Apple is the only natural target for blame.

That said, whenever you see some political action (wherever you are) for stronger consumer advocacy or consumer rights legislation - support it. With a product as faulty as those MBP's are, there should be no question that Apple is responsible for exchanging a broken-by-design machine against a working one - no matter whether you're on warranty or not.

OP, sad to hear your story, but happy you can make do with the G5. My personal opinion is to not invest any more money on a PMG5 (unless it's as minor as adding RAM), rather save the money for your next newer rig.

RGDS,

8. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Yeah this story from last year http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/19...-in-small-claims-case-on-nvidia-gpu-failures/ tell's you everything you need to know about apple especially when it doesn't cost them to replace the logic board because nvidia pays for it, just shows that apple handled it really badly which is unusual because they delt with the cracks on my 2010 white MacBook really well.

9. Wildy macrumors 6502

Stripping non-native code out of fat binaries frees maybe a couple hundred MBs at best, and has no performance benefit whatsoever. Considering the headaches this causes, it's really not worth doing.

10. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It sure helps when you're dealing with slow old computers and 8GB hard drives.

11. Antonius macrumors member

It was not just Apple that handled it bad I had the same issue with an Asus gaming laptop, nvidia paid $2 million over this issue and all i got when my 8600mgt died was the finger, or If i wanted it fixed with the same 8600mgt it would of cost me £600 for a so called repair, that was my last Asus product I'm buying

12. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

And this is why I myself went with an older, slower X1600 based MBP. It's crazy on paper - an early 2008 2.5GHz, 512MB 8600M GT Mountain Lion capable MBP will go for a lower price than a 2006 2.0/2.16GHz, unsupported X1600 MBP because no-one wants the damn things!

13. powermi macrumors regular

BTW wich are the most realiables MBP? from what year.

ahh... welcome back the powerPC

14. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Bar the 8/9600M GT MBP's sold through 2007 & 2008 - they're all rock solid machines.

15. powermi macrumors regular

are nvidia chips equiped?
    even better than the old 2006 models?
    wich is more reliable the macbook or the MBP?

thanks.

16. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Although it is said as over, you can always try bringing the computer to an apple store:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

I've heard of a sucess story to a friend of mine.

17. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Well, the shop that sold it to me seems to be covering it under their own warranty if they find it to be faulty, so hopefully it comes back with a brand new logic board without any flaws pre-baked into it...

18. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

I don't know what kind of shop have you bought it, but first it's nice that it has warranty.
    Since a new logicboard on apple is about 800eur from what I can remember, maybe you will get money back, or a used logicboard.
    If a second hand logic board is fitted:
    1 - go to an apple store, act like a newbie, and say that you saw that you saw this: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377 and you want to have a test made or something (maybe apple covers it).

2- If they don't try to phone apple, say that you have been a loyal buyer and that you aren't happy with this sittuation (maybe the will repair you or give a new computer).

3- sell it.I will give you problems anytime soon.

AFAIK only rev2 motherboards aren't supposed to be problematic on this mbps, but I've seen it failing, and the user having a new mbp because of that!

19. chrfr macrumors 603

There are no good 8600M boards.

20. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

The info that I gave was given to me on apple support.But I agree with you :D