Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makvaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Does anyone have experience returning unopened items to the Apple Store for credit?

I have a ton of amazon.com credit, am thinking to buy a base model macbook, return it to the Apple store for credit so then I can buy a build to order option directly from Apple.....sound like a decent plan? Or would Apple store give me less amount of credit? Any experience? Ideas?

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
My guess is that what you want to do won't work ...

I imagine that the Apple Store has measures to protect from this ... Almost every purchase that is made through the Apple Store (whether it is through retail or online) has some sort of receipt in their POS systems. They'll check to see if you bought that Macbook Pro through them and once they see that you haven't, they will probably refuse to accept your return.

Rajpdx

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
Does anyone have experience returning unopened items to the Apple Store for credit?

I have a ton of amazon.com credit, am thinking to buy a base model macbook, return it to the Apple store for credit so then I can buy a build to order option directly from Apple.....sound like a decent plan? Or would Apple store give me less amount of credit? Any experience? Ideas?

Why would the Apple Store give you credit for something you bought from another retailer?

They won't.

you might try seeing if you could find someone who'll let you order one in exchange for cash, or wait and see if Amazon will get some other specs through "fulfilled by Amazon" which means you can use your credit with one of their partners.

Good luck.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
If you want a refund you have to return it to the place you purchased it from. If you were taking it in for Applecare service, then you would go to Apple. But a straight refund has to be done through the retailer you bought it from.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Let's say it's a model that costs $1000. Obviously Amazon has to make a profit, so let's say Apple sells it to them for $750.

You return it to the Apple store and Apple has lost $250 while Amazon has made $250 for selling you something you didn't even keep.

The fact that Apple made the computer and owns the store is irrelevant. It's like buying something at Target and returning it at Walmart.

keramidas

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012

No experience but an idea. Don't do it.

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
It has to be returned to the store you purchased it from, even if you purchase from the Apple Online Store, you can't return it to a shop for example, only to the online store again!

Ring the customer care helpline and hear for yourself!

makvaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Hummmm, looks like I don't have too many options here.....

Some people suggested buying gift cards with amazon.com credit, but the only place to buy a build to order macbook is through the Apple store itself.....which doesn't sell gift cards!

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA

Some people suggested buying gift cards with amazon.com credit, but the only place to buy a build to order macbook is through the Apple store itself.....which doesn't sell gift cards!

How would you buy a giftcard *from* the Apple store using Amazon credit?

They meant buying Apple gift cards with Amazon credit(which I dont think you can do) and then using those gift cards to buy the computer from Apple.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Find someone who wants a baseline Apple laptop. Buy it for them off Amazon with your credit and sell it to them at a small loss. Then take the money you made off the sale to Apple and buy whatever you want.

molingrad

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
If you bitch loud enough you can extract a lot from retailers. If need be don't hesitate to escalate it to a manager, front line associates ate usually told to say No while managers generally don't seem to care.

Say it's a gift but you want a different version. Can't hurt. Your luck depends on who you get and what mood theyre in though.

This works with many retailers I can't speak for Apple though.

PhoenixRising

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012

What don't you get? There's no way to use Amazon credit to buy a BTO MacBook. You could buy Amazon Gift Cards and sell them somewhere like PlasticJungle or something, but you'd get 90% of value. Use your Amazon credit to offset normal purchases and use the offset savings to buy your MacBook. Apple isn't going to take a computer they didn't sell you. Wal-Mart on the other hand...

Kaemon

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009

I don't think anyone's mentioned it... but I'm 99.9% sure thats actually illegal to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.