Returning Whitebook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by desiringGod, Apr 24, 2009.

1. desiringGod macrumors regular

I got my refurb white macbook in Wednesday. When I opened it up, there was already a 2-3 mm depression in the casing where the magnet hits.

After reading about all of the casing issues, I decided that it is not worth taking the chance on having it crack if it is already weak at day 1.

I called Applecare and they are refunding all of my money.

I now have to decide if I can live w/o FW and order the aluminum MB or wait until I have the money for a MBP or a new camcorder and alum MB.

I am disappointed as I thought this was going to be the perfect solution.

My wife has a refurb MBP that works great, so I don't think it is a refurb problem, but more of a plastic case problem.

What stinks is that I had already ordered 4 GB of ram to upgrade that I will have to pay to return.

2. Illicit macrumors 6502

or use the new ram to upgrade your wife's mbp =)

s+h + restocking fees probably covered the cost of one of those sticks anyway. probably wouldnt be worth it to refund it.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:confused: Or just exchange the white one for one that's not damaged. You might have to be patient for another one to pop up in the refurb store, though.

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I agree, why not just get another undamaged one?

5. desiringGod thread starter macrumors regular

I've read about too many people having issues with cracked cases, so this just made forget about the whitebook altogether.

6. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I've had my white Macbook for a year now with no casing issues. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought those issues were (supposedly) fixed? Sounds to me like you just got a reject... get another and be happy. I love mine. :)

7. rlav macrumors member

Unless they have been fixed with the newest generation I believe it is still an occasional problem. I have the 2.4 Ghz from the last pre-Nvidia generation. I have hairline cracks on 2 locations on the bottom casing (Front and back). As I need it for the last few weeks of the semester I haven't tried calling applecare yet. As soon as summer comes I plan on trying to get it fixed.

That being said, I would not worry about it, this is a great laptop, if it fits your needs I would exchange it for another one. I believe applecare is replacing these cracks under warranty, and I thought I read that people were have luck getting them replaced even out of warranty.

8. dentedG4 macrumors member

I was reading in another thread (too lazy to find it) that the cases of the new whitebooks are different part numbers than the pre-nvidia ones, so there's a good chance that some of the case issues have been rectified.

Either way, to return a refurbished computer and than disregard the whole lot because of a minor issue is just nearsighted. Stop being a diva and just wait for another one! jeesh

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:rolleyes: If you read these forums, you'll see plenty of complaints about the unibody Macbooks too. The fact is, not many people come to this forum and post "My MacBook has zero problems!" But people do come and post "my MacBook has a problem!"

Basing your decision on forum posts about a problem is foolish - the sample will always be skewed.

My first-gen MacBook has had zero problems. Chances are, yours will too.

10. desiringGod thread starter macrumors regular

It worked out great, because Macmall just called and said that they had an open box prev gen 2.4 ghz MBP for $1100.

I had called about this a few weeks ago and they were out of stock and just got one today.

So it looks like everything worked out great.