Returns of new MBP....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by No Regrets, Dec 28, 2011.

1. No Regrets macrumors regular

If I understand this correctly, if I buy a MBP from the online Applestore, I have 14 days to return it if I am not happy with it for any reason.

If I bought a new MBP from B&H or Amazon, is there any return period and do I return it to Apple or to B&H or Amazon?

Is B&H reputable to buy a MBP from?

2. iforbes macrumors 6502

B&H is reputable and have been around for years. No worries there. B&H is also offering the AppleCare package for 50% off...for a 13" MacBook Pro, it is currently only ~$95.00.

Not sure about the return process...

3. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

4. iforbes, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

iforbes macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Apple will not take back a product bought elsewhere. If you want the option to return it in the Apple store, buy from Apple directly. Otherwise you will have to deal with whatever return rules B&H has - might be a restocking fee or something.

6. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

I have not been able to talk with B&H as of yet, but it looks like thru Amazon you can return it (back to Amazon) within 30 days, versus the 14 day return that the Applestore provides.

I would imagine the main reason for wanting to return it is if it came damaged. After the 30 days, I would imagine if there are any problems with the computer not working properly that the Applecare would take care of it from that point on. Am I thinking correctly?

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Mostly yes. You might also want to return it if the product for some reason doesn't meet your expectations.

Yes, this is correct.

8. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Thundersteele. You have been a great help to me on this forum and I appreciate it.

I can buy a late model 2011 MBP15" with 2.4ghz 4gb/750gb at 5400rpm with HD6770/1gb vram at Applestore for $2310 with my state tax or $2035 from Amazon for a savings of $275 that I could put towards extra ram and/or extended Applecare.

Do you see any downside to buying it through Amazon vs the Applestore?

Thanks again!

9. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

The only upside to buying it from the Apple Store is having it right away, and not having to ship it back for a return. Those are so minimal compared to buying it online and saving almost $300, it's really no brainer: amazon.

Also, you skip the whole Apple Care/One to One sales pitch if you buy it on amazon.

10. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Queen of Spades for your comment. Actually, I should have clarified the above statement.......I do not have an Applestore nearby. I meant to say I would order via the Applestore Online, so I would have to have it shipped to me whether from Amazon or the Applestore Online.

11. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

In that case, there's no benefit to ordering it from Apple. Amazon actually ships faster. Good luck and enjoy it.

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Say you had a 2010 MacBook Pro, and you took it to the Apple Store and said you wanted to upgrade (this is a very basic question.). Would Apple give you any credit or compensation in the store and take back your old MacBook and apply credit on a new one, or would they basically leave you in the dust to sell it on Craigslist or eBay?

In other words, does the Apple Store take back months or 1-2 year old technology as trade-in on an upgrade?

I know this is a very basic question, but I have never seen it discussed, and I am curious if Apple does this at the Apple Store? (I know they do something like this online (they give you very little $$ for what the machine is worth).

But say, for instance, would they do this in a physical Apple Store location, ie. take back an older machine and let you trade-in on a new one and apply the credit from your old Mac? Does Apple do this?!?

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've done a tremendous amount of business with Amazon and experienced the best return policy of them all. No one makes it easier or faster, especially when getting your money back, or obtaining a replacement.

Opting for overnight delivery is the best. FedEx makes tracking a breeze and Amazon processes your order lightning fast. I save sales tax as well, that's an additional 9% off. I place the order before 11AM, I receive it by 10AM the next day.

That's world class service :)

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No, Apple does not do this. You'll get more money if you sell it on Craigslist or eBay anywhere.

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Apple does not actually offer a buyback program. What is accessible from
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/reuse_and_recycle
    is handled by a third party... you have to send your device to PowerON, and only after they evaluate it you receive the Apple gift card. Apple itself does not take back the product. They just make sure that the money you receive for it is spent on another Apple product.
    Therefore I think that it is highly unlikely that they will buy back your used Macbook in store.

16. jstahmann macrumors newbie

Buy on Amazon. If you have Amazon Prime you get 2 day free or $3.99 overnight shipping, and no sales tax in most states. Couple that with Amazon's excellent return policy and the only reasons to buy from Apple are if you want a custom config, or if you're redeeming an Apple gift card. :)

Good luck!

17. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you to everyone here who replied. I truly do appreciate everyone's help!!!

18. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I have some "bitter sweet" news. I was about to order the new late model MBP 15" 2.4ghz yesterday through Amazon, but had to wait until I was able to get to a computer as my six year old Gateway PC was giving me problems..... my Antivirus had expired, and before a could download another one, it appeared that it had gotten struck by a virus and had a firm "grip" on my computer, not letting me get on the internet or access my files. I had called a computer repair place, described the problems I was having and they said for about $150+ they could maybe get it fixed. I said no thanks as the computer is on it's last leg anyhow.

So as a last ditch effort, I tried a system restore to a previous date and now it is working!!!!

The bitter news is I was all excited about getting my first new MBP. but the sweet news it that now maybe I can get by with this old PC for a few more months and be able to either get the new refresh in May or at least be able to buy the now current model on the refurb site at a savings!!!

Anyhow, you all have been so helpful trying to get me squared away here, I just wanted to keep you all in the loop as to what's going on.

Thanks again

19. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Thank you for the replies about my question. I think it is a shame that Apple themselves does not recycle their own machines or buy-back to refurbish them or donate them to schools or something. I am sure not everybody knows their way around eBay (although I have been doing eBay since I was 16), but I am also sure Apple wouldn't want people just to chunk their old machines on the streets.