Reunion / Geneology Questionaire

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael73, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

A quick question...

Anyone who has ever used Reunion or tackled a geneology project knows that it doesn't take long to figure out HOW MUCH YOU DON'T KNOW. All of a sudden you're beset by questions about dates, places and details you never really thought too much about or just assumed you knew.

Can anyone think of a general form that could be emailed or printed out to relatives where they could fill in the blanks and send it back to me so that I can get all the basic info down?

2. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I'm just starting to investigate these programs and am looking at the same question. I am looking at the demos of Reunion and MacFamily Tree to see which one works better for me.

It looks like in Reunion you can create customizable blank forms that you may be able to use for this kind of thing.

3. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Just a follow up...

I've figured out how to create person and family blank forms (hard copy) so that's good. However, ideally I'd love to create a form that could be posted on a website that could then be submitted to my email address or directly imported into the database. I can imagine a protected website where relatives could visit and then submit corrected or additional information about themselves or other family member and upload or attach photos, audio or even video clips for inclusion.

Anyone know of someone going to these lengths on their genealogy project?

4. plugsnpixels macrumors newbie

I recently released a free digital imaging ezine that features info about MacFamilyTree (etc.). I prefer MacFamilyTree for the eye candy, while iFamilyForLeopard is a more traditional genealogy app. Here is info on Reunion.

Family history research is a lot of work, but great fun once you start finding out things you didn't know.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Another option is creating your family tree on Ancestry.com and inviting relatives to view and contribute to it.

6. plugsnpixels macrumors newbie

Ancestry.com is great (if you can afford it). I did a 2-week free trial last winter and found all sorts of stuff (census forms, draft cards, etc.).

7. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the tips. I may sign up for a 3 month trial at ancestry.com and see how it goes.

In the meantime, I had a unsuccessful go at publishing what I've done so far on the web. Reunion 9 lets you output your work in a web-ready format. Since I have a MobileMe subscription, I tried dragging all the files in their respective directories out to my 'sites' folder. For whatever reason, when I try viewing them from my computer at work for example, I get an "unauthorized" with nothing else on the page.

Any ideas how to make this work? Ideally, I'd like to connect the pages to a website (protected) I'm building in iWeb.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Warning: Ancestry.com is like eating salted peanuts!

9. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

That's assuming, though, that everyone likes salted peanuts!

10. Cantello macrumors member

A cheaper (i.e. free) version could be itsourtree.com

Not that sophisticated but enough for most hobby genealogists...