Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modthispny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
I bought my top of the line uni-body Macbook since early 2010(paid extra for the backlit keyboard)..about a few months before the drastic price drop and introduction of the cheaper Macbook Pro with backlit keyboard, :(, after 2 battery replacements and a HD failure, I figured it was time to purchase a new laptop. This laptop still works fine, the battery doesn't hold a charge that well and the fan is constantly on, but it still does the job.

I was always on the fence to buy the Macbook Pro w/Retina, but couldn't justify the cost for what I needed the laptop for, which is just basic web surfing and youtube videos/movies.

When the new Macbook came out, I was sold on the thin size and retina screen and new keyboard. I was fortunate enough to get one through Best Buy right when it came out. I loved it, it was a bit small but I got used to it. The screen was gorgeous, and just had such a cool wow factor. 3 weeks into ownership, I noticed a screen flicker and had intermittent wifi isuse, for some reason or another I made a mistake by returning it instead of taking it to the genius bar. After I returned it, I casually asked to order another one, I was shocked when there was a 5-7 week backorder. :(

I spent about a week trying to find one, either through Best Buy, Amazon, and the Apple Store, I then gave up and purchased a 256GB Retina Macbook Pro. Best Buy had a $75 off sale, I also used the 10% Movers coupon and my $50 in rewards certificates, so I got a pretty good deal on it, $1340 OTD for something that apple sells for $1500 + tax. The laptop was fast, but it felt too similar to my old Macbook. Sure the laptop is thinner and has a better screen, but overall it felt the same. I didn't plan on returning it since I got it for such a good deal, but I was looking online last week and saw Best Buy had the Space Gray Macbook in stock.

Pulled the trigger, I received he Macbook yesterday and opened it up, and just loved it.

The Macbook Pro is great, but for my needs, I'll take the slower performance foe the 12" Macbook form factor. Returned the Pro today and excited to go home to use the Macbook. :)

Reactions: Queen6 and Jetcat3

JoePa2624

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
AZ
I was pretty much in the same boat. I gave up a 2015 MBPr 13" because I wanted something unique. I've been pleasantly surprised in a short period of time so far with this thing.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
I just picked up the 12" a couple days ago. The laptop feels great, the only con is the front facing camera. Other then that, the macbook fits my needs.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I'm still deciding between the rMBP or the rMB.. Right now I have the White Unibody MB and it's pretty heavy. I want something thinner but I want the same form factor of the MacBook that I currently have. I don't want anything less than 13' because I feel like that'll be too small for me but at the same time I don't want anything heavy and slow. I thought about the air but I don't like the screen, so I guess my best bet would be to get the rMPB 13" base model.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I'm still deciding between the rMBP or the rMB.. Right now I have the White Unibody MB and it's pretty heavy. I want something thinner but I want the same form factor of the MacBook that I currently have. I don't want anything less than 13' because I feel like that'll be too small for me but at the same time I don't want anything heavy and slow. I thought about the air but I don't like the screen, so I guess my best bet would be to get the rMPB 13" base model.

Go with the rMBP you won't be disappointed, they really are great little laptops.

rambler358

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2014
Torrance, CA
I think I'm in the same boat, and will likely order the topline MacBook. I think as long as it's not your main computer that it will serve you well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.