Reuse iMac 5,1 wireless card

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GodsOtherHand, Sep 19, 2014.

1. GodsOtherHand macrumors newbie

Hello. I have an old iMac 5,1 2.0(late 2006).
    Like many units of this type, the GPU is dead. Tried to use it as a headless machine but the GPU would make the system unstable.

So i am the point where i am trying to reuse the pieces and i am hoping to reuse the wireless card.

I would like to take the wireless card from this unit and use it in a regular laptop (IBM x31 to be more precise). Could this work? The laptop is currently running WindowsXP.

The wireless card is abit weak and looses the signal when in the next room. The imac does not loose the signal, so im hoping this could help.

I am not very experienced with taking laptops apart, so if it's 100% a no-go, than i wont waste my time :))

2. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

You haven't given us enough information. Regardless you're going to have to be the guinea pig.

What you need to do is work out what type of wireless card is in the PC laptop and find out if the sockets will match between the apple one and the Windows laptop. If they're the same socket can figuration, then you're going to have to go on a driver hunt for windows drivers.

If you can find all the above then it may be worth in attempting the install.

Also you should be aware, even if all that works there is no guarantee your Wi-Fi signal will be any better. as it all depends on the internal placement and type of internal antennas.

3. GodsOtherHand thread starter macrumors newbie

So, it is not a proprietary form factor or something like that. Ty!

I will post again with my results.

4. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

It depends this is something as I mentioned in my earlier post you're going to have to determine.