Reuse MBP optical drive as a stand alone CD player.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rafaelborges, Nov 14, 2015.

1. rafaelborges macrumors newbie

rafaelborges

Hi there, folks

As I don't have any CD player in my house anymore, and I want to reuse my dead MBP optical drive to listen to my old CDs, I was wandering if anyone has succeeded in converting a optical drive into a CD player. I always see people on forums and Youtube teaching how to salvage the drive and placing it on a case to use it as an external drive, but I couldn't find any information or data sheets to convert it into a working CD player. I want to use an Arduino to hook it up with a LCD, control buttons and maybe IOT it later. Does anyone know how wire the optical drive to get those signals, or where can I find the schematics of the early 2008 unibody MBP?

thanks

2. chrfr macrumors 603

You won't need schematics for the MBP to investigate what you're doing. The drive is just a standard optical drive, either PATA or SATA. That said, these optical drives don't have analog outputs so you can't just wire it up to use with a stereo; what you're looking to do is very different than just moving an internal optical drive to an external housing. You'll need to connect the optical drive to a computer that supports the interface and runs a CD audio player, and has analog outputs.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Seeing as your drive is a standard SATA one, what you're looking to do is a bit more involved.

You'd want a board with a SATA port, some kind of a DAC as well as a means to control which track you want to listen to. At the end of the day, you'd probably end up spending a whole lot more on components than actually buying a CD player.

4. rafaelborges thread starter macrumors newbie

rafaelborges

Well it is not only about saving, Its mora about learning and making. As I researched I find an easy way to use it with my Arduino, I would have to step up to a Raspberry Pi, that meaning I would have to hook it put to an actual computer.

Thanks anyway

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

A raspberry pi + usb enclosure you get you closer, you still need some kind of a screen to control the whole thing though...

6. chrfr macrumors 603

The bottom line is that all you're really doing is moving the optical drive from one computer to another.