Reuse Parallels Trial

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nokom, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Nokom macrumors newbie

This isn't as slimy as it sounds - but is there any way to reuse a Parallels trial? I'm not trying to avoid buying it, it's just that due to life getting in the way, I never actually got to use my trial, and I would still really like to try it before I buy it to make sure it does what I need.

I've tried registering with other emails and so on, but every time I install the program, it seems to know that I have had it installed on my system at some point. Is there a file hiding around somewhere that I need to get rid of first? I have uninstalled it as thoroughly as I know how before attempting to reinstall, and I've tried using another user account.

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I don't you're going to get anyone to help you on this. But I believe the only way would to do this would be a clean install.

3. Silvereel macrumors 6502

The OP does raise an interesting question, though; how does software like that 'know' that it's already been installed, if it was removed thoroughly? There's no Registry on OS X, so what sort of function keeps track of that sort of thing?

4. Bear macrumors G3

If you mean a clean install of OS X, yes. A clean install of Parallels won't work unless you've found every bit of the old install and removed it including files created when you run Parallels.

Most likely is that the software creates a file somewhere. Good luck in finding it.

5. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Yes, I meant OS X.

6. thekingofnerds macrumors regular

Not sure on Parallels specifically, but as mentioned software commonly uses a hidden file somewhere.

Another common way is they use a mixture of the MAC addresses on your ethernet/wifi/bluetooth interfaces, as well as the machine address to identify a mac. A clean install of OS X wouldn't change those, but they can be modified with special extensions, etc.

Seeing as how its so popular, I would guess Parallels uses a mixture of the two.

7. iMerik macrumors 6502

Is there an easy tool or way to monitor all activity created by an application that you could use to spot such a file?

8. Jrtesq macrumors member

You might have luck contacting the folks at Parallels support. Explain your situation and maybe they can give you a temporary license.

YMMV