Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Back in 2008 I purchased an Iomega eGo Portable Hard Drive 250GB. I've never really enjoyed using it. This week I decided I couldn't go on using it and took it apart. I would like to reuse the enclosure which is wrapped in brown genuine leather with chrome end caps. (see attached image).

It was a USB 2.0 and the actual HDD was a 2.5 inch Seagate Momentus 5400 (RPM) 4.

The enclosure came apart quite simply with the correct screwdriver. I have saved all the screws and caps but I need some help if I am going to reuse it.

Ideally I would like to make install a 2TB HDD or higher capacity if they exist (probably going to be 2.5inch HDD to fit in the enclosure).

First of all it would seem to me to be cheaper to just buy a brand new 2TB USB 3.0 HDD from a well known company.

What steps will I need to take and what will I need to buy to utilise the enclosure once again.

I know I don't need an enclosure or caddy, I have that.
I do know i'll need an internal 2.5inch HDD
I do know i'll need a connector which attaches to the HDD - this is where i'm a bit lost - what do I actually need to buy?
I do know i'll need to buy a USB cable - USB 3.0 - I think one end of the enclosure is a USB mini B5 Pin.

Is there anything else I'm missing that i'll need to buy. I'm guessing i've forgotten something.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Attachments

• iomega-ego-leather-portable-hard-drive-with-case.jpg
    iomega-ego-leather-portable-hard-drive-with-case.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 90

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
You just need an internal 2.5" SATA hard drive and the USB cable for connecting the enclosure to your Mac. If it uses a USB 2.0 mini B, you need one of those. They don't exist - at least not officially - in a USB 3.0 flavour (and there wouldn't really be a point in getting a USB 3 one anyway).

I don't understand this:
I do know i'll need a connector which attaches to the HDD - this is where i'm a bit lost - what do I actually need to buy?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH

Any standard SATA drive will plug into the enclosure's PC board connector.

2.5 inch drives can come in a couple heights, you will probably want one no thicker than the momentus one you took out.

The controller within the enclosure is USB2, no use getting a USB3 cable.

The largest capacity drive is 2TB at the moment, the Samsung Spinpoint is a good $100 drive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178627

addictive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
You just need an internal 2.5" SATA hard drive and the USB cable for connecting the enclosure to your Mac. If it uses a USB 2.0 mini B, you need one of those. They don't exist - at least not officially - in a USB 3.0 flavour (and there wouldn't really be a point in getting a USB 3 one anyway).

I don't understand this:

Thanks for your reply. I realise I wasn't clear so no wonder you didn't understand. I'm not sure what connector I need for the 2.5 inch HDD, I'm guessing it is a SATA connector cable - something like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serial-Adapter-Cable-Laptop-Drive/dp/B008AGJKNO

but my issue is the chrome cap on one end will probably not be needed but then i'll need any SATA connector to fit closely with the enclosure.

What do I need to buy to make sure it is functional with USB 3.0?

----------

Any standard SATA drive will plug into the enclosure's PC board connector.

2.5 inch drives can come in a couple heights, you will probably want one no thicker than the momentus one you took out.

The controller within the enclosure is USB2, no use getting a USB3 cable.

The largest capacity drive is 2TB at the moment, the Samsung Spinpoint is a good $100 drive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178627

Can I not buy a new controller for the enclosure which would be USB 3 compliant?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark

addictive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
- Is something wrong with the SATA to USB board already in the enclosure, or do you just want USB 3?

I'm confused as to what you're trying to accomplish...

I do have the the SATA to USB board but ideally I do want USB3 - if I was to buy a new HDD online I know it would be USB 3.

I don't really want to buy a new 2.5 inch drive if I can only have USB 2 speeds. Its so slow compared to USB 3.

So in short I want to buy whatever I need to enable USB 3 while using the enclosure which I think is absolutely worth keeping and using.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
So in short I want to buy whatever I need to enable USB 3 while using the enclosure which I think is absolutely worth keeping and using.

- Then you'd need a new board which will fit in your enclosure and has the same connector type so it can fit in the cutout. That might be exceedingly hard to source.
Or you could get a SATA to USB cable like the one you linked to that is small enough to fit inside the enclosure, and then route its USB cable out somehow. That might be impossible.

It's quite a project just to save that enclosure.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009

Forget it...utterly a waste of time. You won't find a USB3 capable board that fits the enclosure. You're better off just buying a new 2TB USB3 hard drive and tossing the old iOmega enclosure.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I don't recall bare controller boards being sold, at least in one or two quantities. You may be able to find a new enclosure donor with similar board mounting and transfer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.