Reusing an email alias from an old MM account?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by jb60606, Mar 8, 2009.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I foolishly opened a MM account with an account name I now regret. I'm okay with spending the extra dough to open a new account and start over, though I'd like to use an email alias I created/associated with my current account as the primary account-name/email-address (first_name.last_name@me.com).

Is this possible, or is that email address going to be reserved/unavailable for the time being? Has anyone tried this before?

If you're wondering why I care, since I can just send/receive email on my current account using the first.last@me.com alias: it's because the iPhone won't let you send email from an alias (which is where I send most of my mail).

Thanks

2. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just found the link to iChat MobileMe support and spoke with one of their techs. Unfortunately, you can't use an alias as a member name, even if you close the old account.

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Someone on another thread said Apple Support changed their main username for them. Why not try that instead of starting over?

4. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

because the main username I want to use is an 'alias' for my current username. Apple said I can't do that.

My only option is to create a new account and, like the guy you mentioned, have apple close the old account and move to the new one.