Reusing old iPhone 3g on ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fluidmusic00, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Fluidmusic00 macrumors member

I am ready to purchase an iPhone 4 since my iPhone 3g contract is running out and I am ready to rid of my slow iPhone, but I had a quick question.

When I get the iPhone 4, can I let my wife use my iPhone 3g. For a little background to this situation, my wife got a new phone (Samsung Solstice) and 2 year contract with ATT last October. Is it as easy as just purchasing the iPhone data (200mb or 2gb) plan and dropping her SIM card from the Solstice into the iPhone. I'd also assume she'd remain on her current 2 year contract since she isn't purchasing another phone.

If this question has been answered somewhere, please point me in the right direction. I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to this particular question. Thanks!

2. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

3. Fluidmusic00 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. This is what I figure, although AT&T has never made things this easy. :eek:

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

When you add the new DataPlus to her line, she will get Visual Voicemail and her voicemail will be reset. So if she has any saved messages, they will go poof.

AT&T calls it a iPhone Hand Off, they came up with this back in the original iPhone days, just put her SIM in the iPhone 3G and Call Customer Care to add the DataPlus plan. Now it can be a little cheaper since not every iPhone 3G now has to have the $30 data plan.

Dave

5. Fluidmusic00 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info! If for some reason she doesn't like the iPhone, or it breaks, can she drop the Data plan and go back to the Samsung Solstice. I'd think so.

6. Fluidmusic00 thread starter macrumors member

Just wanted to let everyone know, I contacted AT&T and they said the following, which is consistent with the answers on this board:

Your wife can use your current iPhone 3G on her line without extending her current contract. She will need to add one of the required iPhone 3G data plan to her line. When you are ready to place her SIM card into your iPhone, please call Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500 toll free from a land line phone to update the Serial/IMEI # of her phone and add a required data plan to her line.

7. ChiBearsWin macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of giving my old 3g to my 10 year old to use as a phone/ipod touch only, without access to data. I've been told that ATT will automatically put the $15/month data plan on any iphones that are on the network even if they will only be used for calls, but does anyone know if there is away around this? Jailbreaking wouldn't seem to work as I actually want the phone to stay with ATT to get family plan pricing. Thanks in advance