Reuters reports Toshiba to drop HD DVD

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jaw04005, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toshiba Corp (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) is planning to give up on its HD DVD format for high-definition video, conceding defeat to the competing Blu-Ray technology backed by Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research), a company source said on Saturday.

Japanese public broadcaster NHK had earlier reported that Toshiba would suffer losses in the tens of billions of yen (hundreds of millions of dollars) as it scrapped production of HD DVD players and recorders and took other steps to exit the business.

The company source told Reuters that Toshiba was in the final stages of planning to exit the HD DVD business and that an official decision would be made soon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSL1637974620080216

Note: If mods want to merge this with some of the other ongoing HD DVD threads, it would be welcome. :)

2. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Message to the technology industry:

Please, oh, please can we avoid getting into ridiculous format-wars like these? They obviously hurt companies like Toshiba greatly, they hurt the consumers who just got burnt on HD-DVD, and they hurt the overall industry as fewer people buy HD disks when they don't know which format will prevail.

3. Teddy's macrumors 6502

and now...

At least, the "war" didn't last long.

Now, we have to see what Apple can offer to us. mmmm!

4. ImageWrangler macrumors regular

Well, at least the best format (far and away) won!

Any consumer who did the comparison of the two should have bought BluRay anyways, I'm not shedding a tear for the tool that would have bought such a Microsoftian type of HD format.

And to that, hahahaha to XBox owners!!!

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It's too bad, as I was rooting for HD-DVD, because I love Toshiba and I can't stand Sony.

Oh well. Like I said a long time ago, Sony lost the VHS/Betamax war, so I guess it's time they win one.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

7. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I posted in another thread, the threads were merged later.

9. Burnincoco macrumors member

Blu-Ray vs HD DVD?
    more gigas = always better
    gigas obviously won.

Beta is still alive and well in the professional video industry, just seeing it's final days.
    VHS, what's that?

10. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Haha. OK. I was beginning to wonder! :)

Reuters updated the story. According to their source, Toshiba is in the final stages of deciding what to do with remaining inventory and will make a formal announcement by the end of next week.

Reports also suggest that Toshiba has already shut down their HD DVD manufacturing factories in Aomori Prefecture, Japan.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wait, why...did my xbox stop playing games all of a sudden? Because I'm pretty sure thats why I got it...and HD DVD dying doesn't hurt that.

12. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I would have thought HD-DVD would have won purely on the bass that your average non-techy consumer could easily relate to it (it is still called DVD after all!) where as I suspect many people would have had no clue as to what Blu-Ray was.

13. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Real shame HD-DVD was better for me due to it being region free for buying anime back to downloading or waiting 5 years for them to decide witch movie they want to dub.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yeah, we've got tons of threads on this already and merging them would create an unholy mess. So let's scoot over here to continue this topic, thank you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=436044

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.