Rev A 17" PB fan driving me cRaZy !!

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I have a Rev A 17" PB. 1Ghz, 60g drive, 512ram, 10.4.2

When it heats up and the fan kicks in, it's LOUD & ANNOYING!!

Hear it for yourself, I made a quick video: here It may sound like just static buzz it's really, really, REALLY annoying. It's more like a buzzing and I do not think it's normal at all.

I bought this machine last year so it's already out of warrantee/repair/whatever. If I brought it to an Apple store to have it looked at, what do you think they'd do? Fix it? How much would that cost?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
sounds like it needs some WD40 on it Take it to an Apple Store now and pay to get it done !!

if the fan goes so does your chip !

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I had a similar problem on my TiBook earlier this year, the secondary fan (the one under the right speaker) was beginning to buzz whenever it was running, which bugged the sh*t out of me... although not massively noticable, it was beginning to get worse.

So I took it to the Brum Apple Store to get it fixed under AppleCare, along with a duff SuperDrive, the first time they said they fixed it, and that it wasn't the fan but a loose wire touching it, it wasn't of course :rolleyes: it was the fan so I had to take it back to be replaced.

Unfortunately they replaced it with a brand new fan that emits a high pitch sound now when it's on which is even more annoying than the buzzing noise. :rolleyes: so when I get chance it'll be going back to Apple to have that replaced, along with the screen and logic board, as that's beginning to give me problems too. :rolleyes:

Anyway, according to my reciept had I not had AppleCare the repair would have cost me £22.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
mad jew said:
:eek: You still going to get AppleCare next time?
yep... so far since I bought this PowerBook in Jan 2003 and taking into account the next batch of repairs it'll need next month, it'll have had in total...

3 x screens
3 x logic boards
3 x secondary fans
3 x SuperDrives
1 x base cover

I dread to think how much that would have cost me without AppleCare. :eek: :p

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
It sounds a little bit like my 12" PB fan did a month ago. It was out of warranty and the HD had also crashed, so I opened it up to replace the HD. I had to remove 36 screws, but it wasn't that hard with the help of one of the detailed service guides that you can find on the internet. I took the opportunity to oil the fan with some sewing machine oil and now it's back to normal.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
iGav said:
yep... so far since I bought this PowerBook in Jan 2003 and taking into account the next batch of repairs it'll need next month, it'll have had in total...

3 x screens
3 x logic boards
3 x secondary fans
3 x SuperDrives
1 x base cover

Eep, that's a lot of work :eek:

Knock on wood, the only problem I've had with my TiBook is the paint peeling off. AppleCare wouldn't take care of that :mad:

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
mad jew said:
iGav, you been using it in the kitchen to chop your veggies on or something? :eek:
The thing is... my TiBook is an absolute minter, truly is box fresh... even the keyboard and trackpad look spanking (I never use them). :eek: ;) :D

5300cs said:
Knock on wood, the only problem I've had with my TiBook is the paint peeling off. AppleCare wouldn't take care of that
I've never had problems with the paint finish on any of my TiBooks though... :p

If you're feeling adventurous, replace the fan yourself... it looks like half/hour job tops. ;)

Rinky dink link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.