Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KBenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
I want to buy a MacBook Air and ive been reading on the forums there are some issues with the "Rev A" and theres a "Rev B".

From what I've read so far there are 3 versions? The 1.0 A and B and also the new ones that came out with the aluminum MacBooks?

Can someone please explain what 'versions' there are just so i know what i'm looking for / at?

Thanks!

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
Rev A 1.6/80 1.8/6455d

Coreshutdowns, heat and fans running forever, dont hit a flash site, or it will go nuts.

Rev B 1.6/120 1.8/128SSD

No issues at all, had both read before you buy !

T

The Toddfather

I've purchased both. The original had a poor video card and the hard drive was a bit small. I bought the new 120 GB SSD version last week and think it's a huge improvement in both those areas. Like everything else, it's all a matter of taste. If 1.5 pounds is not a big deal, I recommend the new MacBook - if thinness matters, the new MBA is a great choice.

wheelerw

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
Get the Rev A if you want to save money AND will only use the computer for email, internet, and writing. Get the Rev. B if you are a power user and want the better graphics, processor, and hard drive. I would wait a few weeks and see if they fix the horizontal line issue on the Rev B MBA's though.

mykoljay

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
My Rev A is working fine, especially with the recent software updates. I also have smcfancontrol running, but never went for coolbook. It seemed to cure the hulu problems.

I got got mine on the first week. I can't run hd, which is the only reason I would want revB.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I think the more appropriate name for the Macbook Air models would be early 2008 and late 2008. Take a look at this for more info on what Apple changed on the Late 2008 model. I would say the early 2008 model is more of an expensive Netbook, and the Late 2008 is the model Apple should have made in the first place.

And before you ask I own both models (1.8ghz 64GB SSD/1.86ghz 128 SSD).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think the more appropriate name for the Macbook Air models would be early 2008 and late 2008. Take a look at this for more info on what Apple changed on the Late 2008 model. I would say the early 2008 model is more of an expensive Netbook, and the Late 2008 is the model Apple should have made in the first place.

And before you ask I own both models (1.8ghz 64GB SSD/1.86ghz 128 SSD).

I like this distinction, nicely phrased and well argued. As I travel a lot, and am currently without my trusty MBP, I am seriously contemplating getting a MBA, Rev B, SSD, and am reading (pretty avidly, it must be said) everything posted on this forum about it.

Cheers and good luck

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I like this distinction, nicely phrased and well argued. As I travel a lot, and am currently without my trusty MBP, I am seriously contemplating getting a MBA, Rev B, SSD, and am reading (pretty avidly, it must be said) everything posted on this forum about it.

Cheers and good luck

This is exactly what I did!
I travel extensively.. and was sick of lugging my 15" MBP around!
Had my MBA Rev B with SSD for a week now - and love it!!!
Heading overseas tomorrow - so it gets it's first road trip!

Initial impressions are WOW!
Screen is amazing,
size and weight wonderful
Keyboard great - much better than the old model MacBooks
Overall speed - alot snappier and responsive than I expected.

SSD makes everything feel a lot quicker!
I was worried about only 1.8GHz... but am now a convert to the GigaHertz myth.
Four finger swipe nice, THREE finger swipe I'm finding much more helpful.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.

Cheers and good luck

Don't read everything you hear about the screen lines. I don't have them and neither do a lot of other people.

I was in your shoes in Feb. when I bought early '08 HDD model and liked it so much bought a late '08 SSD model. Everything else feels massive after you've carried the Air around for a few months. I remember checking my bag after obligatory security de-sheething to make sure it was there after I first got one. It's that light and thin. And surprisingly adequate for it's GHz and lack of ports.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
^ my friend just got one, and I took a look at it. It's night and day compared to my MB. But rev B just has a slightly better processor, bigger HD, and better graphics. Rev A should be fine for light usage, nothing graphic intensive related.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
I have a Rev A, and I do daily Web surfing, YouTubing, etc...

Routinely have MS Word, Final Draft, Flock, Mail, Transmission, Adium, iTunes open. I've also used my Air to encode to HandBrake for a road trip and I had no problems.

There's a lot of RevA trash talk on these forums, but I love my RevA MBA better than any other computer I've owned, ever. The Screen is amazing, as is the keyboard and the portability can't be beat.

xBeeza

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
For me the Rev A is great as a travel laptop to augment my Mac Pro. I’m not sure that I would have it as my main computer though but it really depends on what you’re going to use it for. The specs of the Rev B would make it better main computer for me.

Personally I would get the Rev A or wait until Apple works out the issue with the Horizontal Lines in the screen on the Rev B. There are many owners that have returned more that one Rev B trying to get one that doesn’t have the lines. I’m sure Apple will fix the issue soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.