Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GUSTO

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Scotland
Hi folks

I am need of a little help, I am trying to boot from Mac OSX.3 cdrom but every time I try and boot from the CD using either the "C" button or selecting it from system prefs I get an error message saying I need to restart my mac by holding down the power button for several seconds or by using the restart button.

The whole mac is frozen when this happens. The only thing I have upgraded on my Mac is a new 300Gb Maxtor dimondmax 10 SATA drive and a Nvidia 6800 Ultra card. I seamed to be able to boot from the cd when I installed OSX on my new drive but now it wont.

Any ideas? :confused:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Will it boot from the system disk that came with the machine or are you trying to boot from a retail version of Panther?

Our G5s won't boot from the retail version of Panther because those disks have an earlier version of OS 10.3. The dual 2.5s will only boot in 10.3.4 or 10.3.5 upwards...

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Unfortunately the nVidia GeForce 6800 is the reason why you cannot boot from an OS lower than Mac OS X 10.3.5 (edit)

You only have a couple of options then:
- Place another grfx card in the G5, and then boot from CD

Or, if you have another Mac with FireWire:
- Boot the G5 in FireWire target disk mode (boot while pressing and holding the <T>). Connect the two Macs using FireWire, and the G5 should mount as any other external FireWire disk. Insert the 10.3 CD and install from the other Mac onto the FireWire target disk G5.

Or wait till 10.4 ;)

GUSTO

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Scotland
Thanks guys :) I was nearly in tears thinking it was something wrong with my mac.

The cd I am trying to boot from is 10.3 I will try and get my hands on a current up to date version.

Thanks again folks :D :D :D :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.