Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Kobushi said:
Nope, I sure won't. But mainly due to the fact that I just bough my laptop a few weeks ago. Although,....I usually do wait for other people to find the bugs for me :rolleyes:

Early adopters, guinea pigs, call them what you like... ;) :D

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
For sure gonna get a rev A. My PowerBook is a very buggy (hardware problems and no longer in warranty) and I desperately need a replacement. Whether I get a PowerBook or an iBook though depends on whether or not they improve the iBook form factor.

fener

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2003
if i like it, i will buy. There is no point NOT to buy a product just because its Rev A. Thats why companies have customer services. Probs do get solved. While people wait for Rev B or even Rev C, you would be enjoying your new lappy for more than a yaer while others are just staring.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
In a single shot NO. they WILL release an infinitely better product at the same price with in 4 months. More over apple's rev A are rushed. DONOT just wait for 3 months get the rev B.

The problem with if i like it i will buy it is that imac G5 (supersonic jet), powermac G5s (before they went all dual at the same price), 12" powerbook (worst ever more hopeless than ibook), all look good and you will like them. When imac G5 was released i was literally day dreaming about it (luckly i did not have enough money to buy it, soon i was so happy that i did not!!).

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Considering the issues with the first HD screen Powerbook there is no way I'm buying a Rev A Mactel. I'll be holding out for the Rev C.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
TaKashMoney said:
This is a more a poll of sorts, but assuming Mactel lappers roll out in January, will you buy? Performance vs. risk of bugs - Whats your take?

No.

I already bought a Powerbook. However, I will do my research concerning the line of Mactel Powerbooks/laptops at the time and determine if that's the route I wish to take. I know for certain I won't switch back to another Windows box.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Will definitely grab the first of the iBooks to go the way of the Dark Side™. I'll keep my PPC iMac for a while though because I doubt the switch will be trouble free. :)

InfiniteLoop1

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2005
even if there are bugs in the Rev. A products, wont apple fix them, via software update etc? and about the rev B's being infinitively better, after such big thing i dont think the rev b's will be that much better, just the usual speed bump, bigger hard drive etc, they will be concentrating on improving the desktops especially the PowerMac's... wont they?

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
xparaparafreakx said:
Depends.

I don't play that whole waiting game like other people.
When Summer/Fall 2006 comes around, whatever PB is out, I am getting it for college. When I live at home there are two PB so I felt good knowing that if my PB goes down, there is a back up across the room. But when I move out to college, I need another PB as insurance beacuse my TiBook is starting to show its age.
seconded (except it's an albook :p). When RevA comes out, I'll see how much of a speed boost the books have gotten- if it's minimal, there's no way I'm getting one before RevB, otherwise, I'll see how well I can hold back my greed and try to wait. Either way, if August comes around and I still don't have a new book I'm buying.

iBS23

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
I'll probably buy one . . . just not right away. If the new "pro" laptops are out by next Fall, that's when I'll buy. If the new pro versions are not out, I'll probably wait until they are.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
As everything stands now, no. My current 12" PB is doing fine. If I were to get more into development again or suddenly develop the need for a new machine, then sure, I'd get one.

On The Brink said:
The only reason I might possibly change my mind would be if Apple came out with a tiny little 2-pound ultraportable....

This might tip it more into my favor...

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
3 months ago I bought a maxed-out PB15 (2Gb RAM, 100Gb fast HD, 128Mb VRAM, etc.) that'll last me the next couple of years. When it's time to upgrade, hopefully the problems with the laptop Macintels will have been sorted. I was relieved when the new PBs were announced that the only thing that they have on mine is the higher-res screen (with optional lines :D ).

Get real: no matter how careful Apple's engineering team are, there WILL be problems with the new laptops. Some might be able to be fixed in Software Update (remember that iMac G5 update some time ago to fix a sleep problem?). However 10 will get you 5 that there will also be hardware-specific problems that will only be able to be addressed in a new product revision.

I bought the original 500Mhz TiPB five years ago the week that they were released - and had to endure 2 years of P.A.I.N.

Never again.

Aggamemnon

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2005
Bath
Possibly...

I already have a laptop (see sig) but I am looking for a Mac. It's either replace the AMD64 laptop and get a PowerBook, or keep the beast and get a Mini.

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Most probably.

I'm waiting for a 12" or 13" PowerBook which support the 30" ACD.
If the new Intel PowerBook do I'll buy one right away...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I would buy one after 3 months. They constantly work out bugs in manufacturing and such, and after a few months, I think they would have worked out all the major hazards. A rev.B is probably a better idea, but I'd still feel confident in buying a rev.A PowerBook as long as I didn't buy one immediately.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I wouldn't buy the Rev.A first-move product (i.e. Intel iBook) right away, I'd wait for Rev.B. If the iBooks come out as speculated, much earlier than PowerBooks, I would be quite tempted by a Rev.A Intel PowerBook since I would justify that Apple has worked out most of the kinks in the iBook line.

I'm not too worried about the transition, I'd say buy Rev.A stuff and let us all know how well it works, so I don't have to ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Abstract said:
I would buy one after 3 months. They constantly work out bugs in manufacturing and such, and after a few months, I think they would have worked out all the major hazards. A rev.B is probably a better idea, but I'd still feel confident in buying a rev.A PowerBook as long as I didn't buy one immediately.

I agree - nothing wrong with Rev A if you buy it after a little while - I wouldn't necessarily want to buy one on the first day they're released though. ;)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The only way I would buy a Rev A Intel PowerBook is if my current PowerBook died and that the major applications I ran were available with Universal Binaries.

Of the apps that I use most frequently, I expect the Apple provided ones to be shipped with Universal Binaries real soon. And most of the shareware/freeware that I use seem to be work on universal binaries.

It's Photoshop and Nikon Capture that I care about that probably won't be ready for several more months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.