Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derwood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
I have a Rev. A 1.83ghz MacBook which my partner uses. In the last six months we have had an increasing number of problems with it. First, there were the intermittent sleep problems: delay going to sleep, failing to wake. Then it killed three batteries consecutively before Apple replaced the sleep switch and power connector unit (thank heavens for AppleCare). That was back in July. Now the same problem has recurred: the battery is dead and fails to accept charge. Got a call from Apple yesterday to say that they've switched out the logic board and that the item is ready to collect.

We have eight months left on the AppleCare and what I want to know is:
1) What exactly can we expect from a logic board replacement? Do Apple really have a stockpile of 1.83ghz logic board's floating around in case someone needs a replacement or is there any chance of a processor upgrade with this repair?
2) At what point could we reasonably expect Apple to issue a replacement machine?
3) If it has a fresh logic board does that mean that - case, lcd, hd, combo-drive aside - that the guts of the machine are brand new?
4) If we were to sell it now, promptly on the back of an Apple repair and with AppleCare remaining, and the original box and restore discs, what reserve price (£GBP) would you put on it for eBay auction - 2gb RAM, stock 60gb HD, recently (Jul) replaced wrist-rest/keyboard/trackpad?

I am anxious because we have had so many problems in such a short space of time. I am very pleased that we paid out for AppleCare. I am increasingly concerned that we are approaching the end of our cover and these problems are only now just starting to show.

Cheers,

Derwood

GreenEyed85

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2008
I had one of those macbooks it had problems from day one my harddrive failed twice once was an apple harddrive and the other was one i bought from a third party seller. I had problems from random shutdowns to the plastic case cracking. It finally died in september now i'm waiting for the new aluminum macbook to be delivered. Just sell it. I wish I had.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
1. Yes they do have a pile of 1.83GHz boards lying about. Little chance of a processor upgrade.
2. I thought it was 3 attempts to fix problems that keep recurring - I think you may have gone past that now....
3. Yes
4. Sell it for £400 Buy in Now - it still has 6 months at least of AppleCare.

Hope this helps !!!

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Why would they keep logic boards from a 2006 MBP17 (my machine)?

My machine went in last week and they replaced the LCD, keyboard, fans, top case and bottom case. During testing they decided it needs a new logic board and the part was backordered. The machine is being fixed at the repair center BTW not the APple store.

Where exactly are they ordering the logic board from? At this point it seems like they've replaced everything in the machine, a replacement would have been more logical!

Is there any hope that they won't find the logic board and what would they do then?

eV

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Why would they keep logic boards from a 2006 MBP17 (my machine)?

My machine went in last week and they replaced the LCD, keyboard, fans, top case and bottom case. During testing they decided it needs a new logic board and the part was backordered. The machine is being fixed at the repair center BTW not the APple store.

Where exactly are they ordering the logic board from? At this point it seems like they've replaced everything in the machine, a replacement would have been more logical!

Is there any hope that they won't find the logic board and what would they do then?

eV

Sorry man- if iFixit has Core Duo logic boards, so does Apple.

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-17-Inch-Core-Duo-2-16-GHz-Logic-Board/IF187-003

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
700 for a logic board? Man! Figure 500 for the screen, 300 for keyboard, 300 for top and bottom case. Total 1800 plus labor! Why in the world would they want to replace so many parts!

This is practically a new machine, right? Only the HD/Superdrive are stock at this point

eV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.