Rev. A MacBook Pro AirPort Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marlon_JBT, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

OK I like my MacBook Pro. So much so that I don't want a new one, but...

I'm having a serious issue here.

My AirPort started acting up about 5 days ago, and I need some help here. When I first turn my Pro on (or wake it up after being asleep for about a half hour), and I log into my network (I have a Netgear Wireless-G Router), it works fine..... for the first 5 minutes. After that, my signal starts to degrade and quickly. I live in a tiny 1000 square foot house, and the router is in the front of the house, my bedroom is somewhere in the middle. So there shouldn't be any reception issues. There's no new cordless phones or radios that should cause interference. After about another 5 minutes, the connection drops completely, and when I attempt to rejoin the network, NOTHING can be found even though I KNOW there's at least 3 networks available... at home (neighbors) AND on campus (some profs have their own networks in their offices). I've had to use my trusty PowerBook to supply me internet through an ethernet cable.

I've tried the following:

1. Deleting every network in the Preferred Network List
    2. Deleting the AirPort Preferences
    3. Clearing out the PRAM

For right now it seems to be holding on, but barely. I have all but ONE "bar" of reception.

Now when I'm on campus, the same thing happens only much quicker.

Please help. Although these new MacBook Pros are looking really really good right now. :D

BTW: I'm running 10.5.6...

2. NikolasMason macrumors member

I've had a similar problem, but not quite as severe as yours. With mine, it occasionally just kicks me off my network. All I have to do is click the Wireless icon in the menu bar and click my network again. My iBook, MacBook, iPhone, PS3, PSP, and our several PC laptops never have any problem with our wireless, so it could be a rare issue with MacBook Pros, although mine is a unibody one.

3. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I remember bringing home my unibody MBP and then adding an Airport Express to utilize the faster n channel. The MBP has very unstable and I cannot tell you how many times I reinstalled and rebooted the Comcast supplied modem and AE to make a connection. Once I had everything communicating, I locked the preference and three months later there have been no problems. I am also running OS10.5.6 and run Software Update regularly to keep my system current. All I can suggest is pulling the power cord from your modem and let it sit for a minute before powering it back up.

4. Marlon_JBT thread starter macrumors 6502

No one else has had this issue?

I think it may be a hardware issue because I booted my computer into Windows (bleh, need it for school), and even there it doesn't work.... :(

5. Marlon_JBT thread starter macrumors 6502

Update, I've just purchased an Airport Extreme card replacement. We'll see what happens.