Rev. A MBA hinge broke....just ordered new 11"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by CtotheP, Feb 13, 2012.

1. CtotheP macrumors regular

Sure enough, just outside of my 3-year AppleCare, the my Rev. A MacBook Air was plagued with the infamous hinge problem. The laptop is 100% functional and in good condition, the screen just won't stay open, it ends up laying flat because of the hinge.

Anyone have any experience w/ this? At any rate, ordered a refurb MBA 11" 4GB/128GB which is delivering sometime this week!

2. Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

Might be able to get that fixed for free

Take it into an apple store. My buddy just got this same problem fixed for nada, never even bought applecare. Apparently it is a QA problem with this laptop and they may fix it irrespective of warranty, particularly if you are a good customer.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I didn't have this exact issue, but the hinge on my Rev B loosened up quite a bit during the two years I owned it. I had the Genius Bar tighten it up toward the end, which helped a lot. At this point, it's worth seeing if Apple would do anything for you. If so, you'll have a decent spare machine. If not, maybe sell it for parts (there still is some demand for that kind of thing on eBay).

Anyway, the hinge issue is fixed since the late-2010 models. My 2011 that I purchased on the release day back in July is as rock solid today as it was 7 months ago. Good luck with the refurb. Is it the Core 2 Duo or the Core i5 model?

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish