Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shot22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
I'm planning to buy the new MacBook (or MBP) if it ever comes out. But, I was wondering, what is Apple's history with the first generation of a new computer? Are there typically lots of issues?

Thanks.

Chandler Adaway

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Beaumont, TX
Pretty much with anything, the first revisions are likely to mess up.
Some of Apple's products are known to do that.

Though, that wouldn't stop 99 percent of people buying one.

As long as you have Apple Care, your good to go.

isauce

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008

Exactly. I am going to buy the MB revision, but if it fails I will have applecare.

Shot22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008

With, Apple Care, they'll replace the laptop if there's a major defect, correct?

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I'm planning to buy the new MacBook (or MBP) if it ever comes out. But, I was wondering, what is Apple's history with the first generation of a new computer? Are there typically lots of issues?

Thanks.

Put it this way i have a rev A MBP the first ones out that i keep as a spare ( but often still use ) and to this day it's not been back in for repair once & still runs like the day i bought it, maybe i just got lucky i dunno

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
Put it this way i have a rev A MBP the first ones out that i keep as a spare ( but often still use ) and to this day it's not been back in for repair once & still runs like the day i bought it, maybe i just got lucky i dunno

Agreed. I was very happy with my Rev A MacBook when they first made the Intel transition. All revisions will have problems. The standard deviation of encountering a problem is so high in all cases that I wouldn't necessarily bet to be more safe with a later revision...

isauce

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
True. However with any changes I believe they try to address it so it won't happen in the new design. Again, this forum itself isn't a voice for every Mac customer. Generally, anything bad happens is usually posted in this forum than good. So, take it with a grain of salt and buy it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Thanks.

Design change or not, it's always a new generation, so the only first generation will be the first time MacBooks were introduced. ;)

isauce

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
Design change or not, it's always a new generation, so the only first generation will be the first time MacBooks were introduced. ;)

True! :D Keep in mind not everyone have issues with their laptops, so buy with confidence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.