Rev A, Rev B... How long to iron out the wrinkles?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Canuckistan, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Canuckistan macrumors member

Hello,

In reading about the new MBPs on this forum, I saw many references to Rev A, Rev B, next rev.

How long does it usually take Apple to make a rev after the release of a new product.

I'm not talking about speed bumps or new features, but ironing out high frequency wrinkles.

Thanks.

2. joystik macrumors member

From past release dates. Powerbooks were updated(rev b.) 3-4 months after release date, same went with macbook pros. So i would say around 4 monthish.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That all depends on whether there are any "wrinkles" in the first place.

Personally my MBP is wrinkle free! :D

4. sk47 macrumors member

Yeah, I don't see any wrinkles this time around either.

The '07 Rev on the other hand...

5. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

The 3 month original MBP update was just to introduce the 17" model, it was not a Revision B, that had to wait for another 6 months. The same may happen this time. The 15" model is very unlikely to be updated in 4 months.

6. Crash1234 macrumors regular

So, no one feels that "wrinkles" such as the loose display hinge and warped lids will ever be ironed out. I'm aware that there ARE machines that have sturdy display hinges and lids that close flush on both sides, but all six mpb's I've encountered have had loose display hinges and warped lids so based on that I'm assuming this is a more prolific issue than "oh well I just got a lemon." That's too many lemons in such a short time frame for it to be an isolated occurrence. So does anyone feel things like this well be fixed so that ALL machines have good hinges and so that one doesn't have to get lucky to get a good one? Or should I just try to buy again now?

7. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

My new Pro is perfect... but if you wanna be all paranoid about it then wait 4-6 months.

8. sk47 macrumors member

Rev B is going to have its own share of issues. So is Rev C and so is Rev DEFG...

You can keep waiting :)

9. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

The hinge is not loose nor is it a wrinkle. Its a completely new style of hinge, it only moves when you flip the computer on its side or upside down. Otherwise its firm and has a very smooth action when opening & closing it.

10. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

In other words, it's not a fault, it's a feature. Sigh.

11. Crash1234 macrumors regular

That's a pretty bad "feature." So why is it a "feature" on the mbp that you cannot use your mbp when laying down by propping it up on your knees but on the regular macbook the hinge is tight and keeps the display open no matter what angle it's at? I don't think it was an intended feature but I think apple might not think it's that big of a deal. A feature is something that improves the product, the loose hinge is something that detracts from the products usability.

12. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

+123123
    i was scared to but i mean
    if you DO have aproblem.. youll always be covered by apple as long as you discover it within 14 days

13. virtuatony macrumors regular

I can't believe people have this kind of anxiety.

14. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

The anxiety comes from a $2,900 dollar purchase that has well documented flaws. But I suppose you could turn that back around in an argument saying why are you purchasing a product or trying to replace a product with this many flaws.

Meh for this price I would like to believe Im buying quality.

15. Christian G macrumors newbie

My MBP reeks of quality. It's perfect.
    Screen is straight. I don't see it warping. The glass lends it a TON of structural strength.

As for the hinge, it's really smooth, yet stiff enough to provide resistance. With the screen at the 50º angle I use when sitting down with the laptop tilted way up against my knees, the screen doesn't start falling until the laptop body is tilted another 50 to 60º. NO issue there.

But unibody enclosure feels super stiff and strong.

Heat is much much lower than the other body style Mac laptops I've used.

I can't vouch for the internals, but if the external body and feel is any indicator, there is little to worry about.

Less overall flex and bend can only be good for the guts, as can lower heat.

Everything else is flawless too.

Probably not much help, but yeah. Mine is a real quality product.

16. virtuatony macrumors regular

The point about expecting quality for the price paid is valid.

The reason I don't worry is because, I know Apple has the best customer service I've ever dealt with from any company. It makes you spoiled when you need help from any other companies or your wireless provider because nobody matches it, in my experience.